Why some discs work and others don't?

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
andre104623

Why some discs work and others don't?

Post by andre104623 » Wed May 07, 2014 2:48 pm

Hello all I'm new to your site but been in the hacking scene for years. I'm been collecting game system since I was a teen so about 2 months ago I was doing some spring cleaning and found my gamecube's I have 3. 2 DOL-001 and 1 DOL-101 so I thought it was time to hack one of these so first thing was to look for a modchip. Viper and qoob are no where to be found so I had to settle with xeno gc which I found on ebay for 15.00 free shipping from china (yes I know its a clone) also a gameboy player for 10.00 dollars without start-up disc. So I installed the xeno gc in the newer gamecube DOL-101 turned the pot down to 210 and bought a 20 pack mini TDK dvd-r with a disc id of CMC MAG AF1 this is where the problems started I was getting DRE's left and right so I found the ridata G04 discs online for 3.99 for a 10 pack everything is going fine now but sometimes I get DRE's and I bought philips mini dvd-r with the same disc id as the TDK but they play better then the ridata WTF??! So why are the Philips discs play better then the ridata?
novenary

Re: Why some discs work and others don't?

Post by novenary » Wed May 07, 2014 4:02 pm

It depends on the quality of the disc materials and your burner, not the disc id.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Wed May 07, 2014 4:56 pm

Take the pot down to about 50 ohm and try all the discs again to determine if there is any performance improvement...
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Wed May 07, 2014 5:21 pm

megalomaniac wrote:Take the pot down to about 50 ohm and try all the discs again to determine if there is any performance improvement...
I did that the laser wouldn't read anything I took the pot to all levels from 10 ohm to 350 ohm and everything in between I even got a new laser/ new (images)/ checked solder points on the chip/ use other burners DVD and BLU-RAY I just don't get it but a lot of games work just fine but mario kart dbl dash I get DRE's Ridata or not
novenary

Post by novenary » Wed May 07, 2014 5:42 pm

I heard Verbatim discs are superior to Riteks. Maybe try them ?
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Wed May 07, 2014 7:23 pm

Streetwalker wrote:I heard Verbatim discs are superior to Riteks. Maybe try them ?
Do Verbatim make mini dvd-r's? I use Verbatim dvd+r dl for my xbox360 games and I swear by them. The only reason I bought the Ridata is because everyone says (They are the discs to use for gamecube)
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Wed May 07, 2014 7:32 pm

andre104623 wrote:
Streetwalker wrote:I heard Verbatim discs are superior to Riteks. Maybe try them ?
Do Verbatim make mini dvd-r's? I use Verbatim dvd+r dl for my xbox360 games and I swear by them. The only reason I bought the Ridata is because everyone says (They are the discs to use for gamecube)
Just checked they "did" make mini dvd-r's but they are discontinued by manufacturer and any that is left are very pricee maybe I will de-solder the xeno gc and install it to one of my older gamecubes
novenary

Post by novenary » Wed May 07, 2014 9:19 pm

Actually it would be less hassle to swap the laser assembly than to move the chip. Also I'd recommend moving the modded drive to one of your DOL-001. These have the digital out which might prove interesting for future mods.
There are a couple guys selling full size DVD cases here, but they are expensive so you may not be too interested. If you have a Wii, you could also try to load your ISOs with Dios MIOS. Or Devolution if you have working originals.
webhdx

Post by webhdx » Wed May 07, 2014 9:47 pm

I'm using the same TDK discs. I'd recommend trying burning them on different burner. All TDK discs, burnt on some cheap DVD burner in my laptop work with no DRE's.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Thu May 08, 2014 1:22 am

andre104623 wrote: I just don't get it but a lot of games work just fine but mario kart dbl dash I get DRE's Ridata or not
only one title is giving you problems??
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Thu May 08, 2014 12:19 pm

Streetwalker wrote:Actually it would be less hassle to swap the laser assembly than to move the chip. Also I'd recommend moving the modded drive to one of your DOL-001. These have the digital out which might prove interesting for future mods.
There are a couple guys selling full size DVD cases here, but they are expensive so you may not be too interested. If you have a Wii, you could also try to load your ISOs with Dios MIOS. Or Devolution if you have working originals.
I have a modded wii already. I modded the gamecube to have a modded gamecube. full size dvd cases are crazy expensive a few games give DRE's Resident evil remake, mario kart, hitman 2 I made a sd card adapter but for some reason it will only take 2gb sd cards because I was thinking of using sdload for the games that dont work on disc
novenary

Post by novenary » Thu May 08, 2014 12:27 pm

If you want to boot backups off of your SD adapter, burn Swiss. It's far superior to SD Load (which is only a homebrew loader, not a backup launcher, and even at that Swiss beats it) and it supports SDHC and even SDXC.