Review of megadrive v5

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
andre104623

Review of megadrive v5

Post by andre104623 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:48 pm

Before I start let me say that this device saved me a lot of time and a headache. So how easy is it to install as easy as installing a xeno GC which is very easy but if you have an dol-cpu-60/70 you will run into problems with the megadrive hitting the c177 resistor and the pads won't line up. This could be solved by cutting a slot on the megadrive itself but since I waited 3 weeks for it to come I didn't want to damage it. I just grabbed one of my older gamecubes and installed it. Also I needed to use pins to connect the megadrive to the pads on the mobo but not a big deal. Then getting everything back together was tricky because of the wasp being on the bottom of the mobo cutting the lower shield had to be done. After all that I turned on the gamecube just to find a error on the screen I found out the 32 pin FFC cable was defective when I bent it to one angle it works the other way it doesn't so I ordered 2 more from badassconsoles.com and now I'm using the FFC from my Wii but everything works fine. Great product and for 18 dollars there should be no reason not to buy one. I would wish that mega would have made it so you could install on top or the bottom. I'm quoting streetwalker here his idea was to buy two megadrive v5's and put one on top and one on the bottom now after installing one that would be hard for one reason you must turn the top megadrive so the pins will line up if you do the ffc connecter would be butting up with the heatsink. My idea to keep both dvd drive and WASP was to keep the dvd connecter on the mobo and sand down the bottom of the dvd connecter so the megadrive could be installed but that did not work since i had to use pins but even if all went well with my idea power would still have to be figured out I was looking at xeno fusion P.O.C but I will just keep it as it is for now thank you mega! I will post some pics later.

Posted some pics if your wondering why there is an extra wire is because after much soldering I have learned that you can never have to much ground
tmp_14928-IMG_20140627_214847-117934146.jpg
(914.7 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by andre104623 on Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:55 am, edited 5 times in total.
marcus9199

Re: Review of megadrive v5

Post by marcus9199 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:23 pm

I was under the impression V.4 came pre-assembled. Keeping my fingers crossed because I purchased one.
My wife took my Beer Away!!!!
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:04 pm

marcus9199 wrote:I was under the impression V.4 came pre-assembled. Keeping my fingers crossed because I purchased one.
I didnt think it was all I saw was an install video which was fucking crazy soldering upside down. I would think it would just be the megadrive v4 I know for a fact it's very pricey for that type PCB to be made. If it is ready to go out of the box thats really cool I should of bought one
iamdablasta

Post by iamdablasta » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:14 pm

V4 is pre assembled, pretty much why it asks for region when you buy.
I remember mega saying it would be hard for anyone buying to assemble so he's doing it himself.
the game
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:16 pm

V5 was designed and targeted for portable console mods, not home consoles.
it can be tricky to effectively install V5 or v6 in a home console, but it can be done as indicated in your review. good job performing that type of unsupported installation method.

andre104623 wrote:
marcus9199 wrote:I was under the impression V.4 came pre-assembled. Keeping my fingers crossed because I purchased one.
I didnt think it was all I saw was an install video which was fucking crazy soldering upside down. I would think it would just be the megadrive v4 I know for a fact it's very pricey for that type PCB to be made. If it is ready to go out of the box thats really cool I should of bought one
V4 does come preinstalled...fucking crazy upside down soldering included.
Basic installation for the buyer only requires "swapping" drives, and finding a nice home for the included pin29 switch and SDSlot.
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:33 pm

megalomaniac wrote:V5 was designed and targeted for portable console mods, not home consoles.
it can be tricky to effectively install V5 or v6 in a home console, but it can be done as indicated in your review. good job performing that type of unsupported installation method.

andre104623 wrote:
V4 does come preinstalled...fucking crazy upside down soldering included.
Basic installation for the buyer only requires "swapping" drives, and finding a nice home for the included pin29 switch and SDSlot.
That's cool it comes installed I saw that install video and said wow that's crazy. I bought the v5 so I could do a portable but thats going to take a while to complete so I just wanted to see if everything is working right and it does and I also wanted to to if it was possible to keep the dvd drive and wasp with a v5. You should have a medal for doing a mod like that very nice :D I would never do a mod like that
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:34 am

only 1 rule exists to use a GC DVD drive with WASP/WODE/WKF

1. do not allow interfering signals:
ie. drive and chip must not both be connected to the mainboard DVD port at the same time

can connect DVD drive to DVD side of chip which will isolate signals (wii dvd drive* would be easy for this )
can use switched power to control which device will be in use if sharing a port
can physically swap (v3) chip and drive at the mainboard port when deciding to use a different device

*the chip will patch wii dvd drive to play backup copies, but only with the chip active ( WKF ON ) and this will also disrupt audiostreaming.
Must deactivate chip ( WKF OFF ) to allow audiostreaming but will then the chip will not patch the drive and not allow backups.
This is why swiss on flash is a better option for the chip when using GC drive. Swiss will patch the GC drive to allow backups.
NOTE: whichever drive is in use, MEGAwire mod must also be used to allow the audiostreaming signal to pass thru WKF/WASP
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image