Cloning the GameCube component cable

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
bentomo

Re: Cloning the GameCube component cable

Post by bentomo » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:00 am

Ha, that's what I get for replying via phone Swype.

Vga and ypbpr *

OK here's another question. How do I actually wire up component ntsc rca jacks? Just use the rgb pins that correspond to the ypbpr mentioned in the hardware readme?

I'm just wondering if I have to do anything special with the sync signal. And will it hurt anything if you switch from vga to ypbpr while the cube is on?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
bentomo

Post by bentomo » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:10 am

WE HAVE SUCCESS!

Something I didn't realize was that there's no way to see the IPL while in component mode so I have no way of accessing the clock or memory card and have to blindly start swiss.

But now that someone found out about swiss autoboot the startup is simple. So now swiss just needs a way to set the system clock and once memory card management is a thing no more ipl bios necessary.
Unseen

Post by Unseen » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:57 am

bentomo wrote:OK here's another question. How do I actually wire up component ntsc rca jacks? Just use the rgb pins that correspond to the ypbpr mentioned in the hardware readme?
Yes - Y is green, Pb is blue, Pr is red
I'm just wondering if I have to do anything special with the sync signal.
No, in component mode the sync is automatically added to Y.
And will it hurt anything if you switch from vga to ypbpr while the cube is on?
Nope - I've done that quite a lot while toggling the RGB/Component switch on a PVM at the same time to check that the color-conversion is spot-on.
Asking for support by PM is anti-social. Ask in an open forum instead, so other people can benefit from the answers!
happy_bunny

Post by happy_bunny » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:27 pm

Only works on DOL-001 Gamecubes, which are the ones that still have the digital video port. It may or may not be possible to adapt the project to DOL-101 systems with some changes in the source code, but as I do not have access to such a Gamecube I cannot provide help with that at this time.
Can you hack up a newer gamecube without the port fitted would it work? is there anything missing apart from the connector ?

I am in the process of doing a re-spin of my board I think I can reduce the size by approx 30% whats the max output required from the 5v reg to the tv's will 150mA do?
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:40 pm

happy_bunny wrote:
Only works on DOL-001 Gamecubes, which are the ones that still have the digital video port. It may or may not be possible to adapt the project to DOL-101 systems with some changes in the source code, but as I do not have access to such a Gamecube I cannot provide help with that at this time.
Can you hack up a newer gamecube without the port fitted would it work? is there anything missing apart from the connector ?

I am in the process of doing a re-spin of my board I think I can reduce the size by approx 30% whats the max output required from the 5v reg to the tv's will 150mA do?
Its possible to use a dol-101 you have to connect right to the video chip pins and 54mhz must be connected right to the gpu via
Unseen

Post by Unseen » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:42 pm

happy_bunny wrote:Can you hack up a newer gamecube without the port fitted would it work? is there anything missing apart from the connector ?
I think I've seen a picture, possibly in this thread that showed vias for the 54MHz clock and cable detect signal. All the other signals should be available on the pins of the internal video encoder chip.

Actually testing that on my recently-acquired DOL-101(EUR) is on my to-do-list, but it will take a few weeks until I get to it.
I think the lower limit is 55mA
Asking for support by PM is anti-social. Ask in an open forum instead, so other people can benefit from the answers!
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:44 pm

Unseen wrote:
happy_bunny wrote:Can you hack up a newer gamecube without the port fitted would it work? is there anything missing apart from the connector ?
I think I've seen a picture, possibly in this thread that showed vias for the 54MHz clock and cable detect signal. All the other signals should be available on the pins of the internal video encoder chip.

Actually testing that on my recently-acquired DOL-101(EUR) is on my to-do-list, but it will take a few weeks until I get to it.
I think the lower limit is 55mA
http://forums.modretro.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=13251
Here is the link for dol-101 installation
happy_bunny

Post by happy_bunny » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:47 pm

great scott! (said in your best McFly accent) they completely removed the digital port footprint someone at nintendo needs a slap :-( nice link though cheers.
paulness15

Post by paulness15 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:02 pm

I would buy 2 cloned component cables, if anyone has them?
--
NTSC Gamecube with GBA Player (Xeno-GC with Swiss)
PAL Gamecube with GBA Player (Xeno-GC with Swiss and SD Loader)
PSP (CFW)
PAL Xbox 360
NTSC PS4
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:31 am

Nobody has external cables, a replacement for the connector hasn't been made yet. Plenty of internal soldering jobs that can be done, nothing external yet.
Yohanov

Post by Yohanov » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:11 pm

bentomo wrote:Just ordered the parts for a board of my own, will take a couple weeks for the programmer clone to arrive but once I get it set up I'll probably post a video about the setup for getting it programmed and wired up.
Hey bentomo, are you still planing to do a video now that you have more experience with the operation ?
Or if anybody else want to do it, that would be nice.
bentomo

Post by bentomo » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:59 pm

I plan to do one but school just started and I've been hitting up a bunch of career fairs. Once I get more time I'll make a programming guide.
Linkz

Post by Linkz » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:32 pm

Googling brought me here and even after reading all this still pretty confused. Is anyone selling the hardware mods for this? Since from what I read it can't be done in just the cable.
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:59 pm

Linkz wrote:Googling brought me here and even after reading all this still pretty confused. Is anyone selling the hardware mods for this? Since from what I read it can't be done in just the cable.
A cable probably not but a plug and play solution yes but its taking time. Go here for more information badassconsoles.com. Its in the works a HDMI version

There are 3 versions right now that you are able to buy, and build. Pluto 2x HDMI which must be soldered in with wires but comes pre-built and you can ask to have it flashed. Shuriken video that is a downgraded pluto board with smaller FPGA also must be soldered but also must be built. GCvideo-lite 0.9 must be built and soldered in and have ether VGA output/ Component/ or SCART cables soldered to the board
tehtechnoguy

Post by tehtechnoguy » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:45 pm

Hey, I was wondering if anyone here currently has a gc video lite assembled and flashed board for sale, or anything else that can output ypbpr at the standard 480i/p ntsc signals.

If not, i was wondering if anyone would be willing to flash chips for me if I were to pay to mail them to and fro and a small thank you fee for the flash. I'd really like to be involved in this project but at the time for waiting 5-6 weeks for the recommended programmer from china to come into the mail, and badass consoles has an eta of 3 weeks until beta testing boards, I just thought I'd ask.

it is also my understanding that at the time of writing this mouser and digikey have a chip on back order until mid decemeber unless i want to spend $1000 for 250 chips
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:49 am

tehtechnoguy wrote: it is also my understanding that at the time of writing this mouser and digikey have a chip on back order until mid decemeber unless i want to spend $1000 for 250 chips
i wonder why there is a backorder :twisted:
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
tehtechnoguy

Post by tehtechnoguy » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:21 am

Oh mega! I clicked on your contact button for kicks and see that youre behind the baddass consoles account

I really guess my best option is to wait for your answer, as much as I want component, and I need to pick up a wasp drive replacement too.

edit: i also failed to see the badass consoles link in your signature. Well this is embarrassing!
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:42 am

tehtechnoguy wrote:Oh mega! I clicked on your contact button for kicks and see that youre behind the baddass consoles account

I really guess my best option is to wait for your answer, as much as I want component, and I need to pick up a wasp drive replacement too.

edit: i also failed to see the badass consoles link in your signature. Well this is embarrassing!
Assuming Mega's solution is HDMI-only since that's what's in the highest demand, HDMI to component converters work pretty well if you need component. Or the device may be modifiable on your end to support component. We'll have to wait and see, everything is very hush-hush right now...
bentomo

Post by bentomo » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:53 pm

Knowing mega he'll just put the extra pads on the board to add the extra outputs and switch options to switch between the inputs.

Or I could just be hyping it up with demanding expectations. Only mega knows.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:01 pm

bentomo wrote:Knowing mega he'll just put the extra pads on the board to add the extra outputs and switch options to switch between the inputs.

Or I could just be hyping it up with demanding expectations. Only mega knows.
you are getting warm....but not quite right....
i would like to think ive come up with a more practical solution to fit the needs for portables, home console DIY'ers, and those who cant DIY...
the designs were submitted yesterday for production of beta boards....so should be about 1-2 weeks for arrival and testing...

there will be a series of live streams for demonstration of the design...
you might wonder why video streaming demo would be necessary....well, its a very simplistic design that has a lot of possible applications/installation possibilities...some of these possibilities still need to be confirmed once i have the boards in hand, but all the brainstorming and research has been done so im confident all the goals for this project have been met

trying to explain all these details via forum post only would not do justice for this project. I think the live streams would very much supplement a forum post considering all the details that will have to be covered..

live stream should be in about 3 weeks or so....ill post more info and links on twitter
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
smalltownguy2

Post by smalltownguy2 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:22 pm

Like moths to a flame....

I joined this forum for one sole purpose - THIS THREAD.

Mega, I'm watching and waiting for this product. I'm in the "I need component cables" camp, as I will be adding my GC to my Pelican HD switcher setup.

Looking forward to this!
Yohanov

Post by Yohanov » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:20 pm

I'm curious, are you guys interested in this project for playing your cube at 480p on an modern display or on an old crt ?

Looks like most people want to play on their flat full hd tv or monitor... But in my opinion, 480P is made for CRT and looks best on a CRT, as the Dreamcast has already proved it since 1998...
So I'm excited to get a vga output from the cloned board to play my cube on a high quality and lagless crt monitor.

Little video from someone who owns a gamecube vga cable and use a crt for 480p https://youtu.be/B-SCrazsKmc?t=125

But it will look even better with the cloned board because the modded vga cable had slight ghosting issues.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:40 pm

Personally I have a plasma EDTV for 480p stuff. Lag could be better but it looks very nice and it's very big.
A PC Trinitron monitor is probably the best-looking option for 480p content, but I wanted something bigger than the ~19" I usually see listed around me (my plasma is a 42" widescreen, with about a 32" 4:3 area) to play more comfortably with friends.

Sony also made the SFP and Hi-Scan Trinitrons but they're hard to find and I for one don't need another 200lb monster in the house on top of my SD one.
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:04 pm

Just ordered parts and PCBs for another go at the GCvideo-lite 0.9. Got the DACs from mouser and everything else from digikey just because I'm used to ordering parts from them. Nuts that the DAC costs more then the FPGA.

So I'll have every cloned component device made so far after this build and Shuriken video build with XC3S200A
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:10 pm

@Unseen I downloaded the GCvideo-master.zip for the programming files I need but I don't see the .svf in the firmware pack like last time when I built one of these boards and I used a xilinx programmer instead of the lattice programmer. Last year I flashed the version without SPDIF output because it wasn't built yet. I hope everything flashes fine without the lattice programmer because I don't have any use for lattice other then the lite version.