S-video help needed

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
Naz132

S-video help needed

Post by Naz132 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:34 am

As we all know composite sucks so i want to use s-video.

I can't find a guide or anything to wire up s-video to a screen.

Can you wire s-video up to any LCD panel or does the screen need something specific?

I'm about to buy a new screen so i though i would ask before i buy.

I have a NTSC GameCube btw.

Help appreciated.
Nukatha

Re: S-video help needed

Post by Nukatha » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:00 am

Check the screen's specifications to see if it has S-video input.
It isn't on very many new screens these days. You can always buy a converter box that changes an s-video signal to HDMI.
Naturally, what you really want is Component video. Cables are expensive though, but a modder has just reverse-engineered the thing and using his schematics you could build your own, or wait for the near future when there will almost certainly be a small production run by megalomaniac or someone else here.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:37 am

Nukatha wrote:or wait for the near future when there will almost certainly be a small production run by megalomaniac or someone else here.
just to be clear....
i am only making a very small run of PCBs which have all been accounted for and will be distributed across multiple regions for the purpose of performing validation testing on the capabilities of the design across these different regions....

im sure Unseen knows we are all pleased to have this gift provided to us...
...and im sure he will also understand that proper testing (or at least more indepth 3rd party testing) should be performed as validation to his great efforts...

therefore if anyone wants to spend cash to experiment and perform testing on their own, by all means contribute your testing results....but to think this is a ready to go full featured solution on par with the original MX's capabilities is a bit ignorant even when the author has stated it lacks certain features and the possible need to use a different FPGA to perform other features....this should be a key indication that there is room for improvement....
...and the only way to improve will be from those willing to spend money on initial development to determine its performance (or lack of performance)...and then include those also willing to spend even more money to improve it...

if you want cheap and easy component, get a WII
if you want component on GC, it might take a bit of time and money to do it right...
...or this solution just might turn out to be absolutely perfect for some people....
...but you know how the smash crowd can be a bit demanding if video lag happens to be even 0.000000001 millisecond too long
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
Naz132

Post by Naz132 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:18 pm

So one day you will be selling your own custom component cable at you store, that would be so cool.