Importing a PAL Cube for RGB with the Game Boy Player

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
6arm79

Importing a PAL Cube for RGB with the Game Boy Player

Post by 6arm79 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:21 am

I'm searching for a solution to getting RGB or component out for the Game Boy Player, and I've decided I may import a PAL Cube into the U.S., and use the RGB output. While I can't do 480p with RGB, I can do 240p, now that this can be done with Swiss, and run it into my XRGB to either linedouble it or view with scanlines. I have a few questions, that I think you guys might be able to help me with.

1) I think I already know the answer to this, but just to be clear, can I use a US NTSC AC Adapter on a PAL Gamecube (in the U.S.)

2) Do I need a separate RGB cable? Do I need to import a PAL Gamecube RGB cable, or can I use, say, a NTSC SNES cable? This website says that the PAL RGB cable is exactly the same as the NTSC SNES cable, having 220uF caps on R, G, and B. The only difference is that the composite video has a resistor, whereas composite video for all US systems doesn't need a resistor in the cable. If that's true, then I would see it still causing a problem when using the composite video for sync, since the website also says that composite sync is not attached on PAL SNES's or Cubes. Interestingly, the author also says that certain PAL systems don't work with the PAL RGB cable, such as his Swedish system, while his French/German one worked.
http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:nintendomultiav
This website also shows circuit diagrams:
http://members.optusnet.com.au/eviltim/ ... escart.htm
I don't understand circuit diagrams that well, but the Cube and NTSC SNES diagrams seem to be somewhat different.
Has anyone tried this?

3) Can controllers be used in any region?

4) I assume there would be no problems with region locking on the GBA/GBC/GB games?

5) Finally, to load the Game Boy Player start disc in 60 Hz in 240p on a PAL system. Could I use my NTSC Player? Should I use a PAL or NTSC iso of the disc with SD Media Launcher?

I appreciate the help.
tesla246

Re: Importing a PAL Cube for RGB with the Game Boy Player

Post by tesla246 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:27 pm

Feel free to correct me where I'm wrong, anyone:
1 Not entirely sure on this one. I am in Pal land. I have a power transformer, 240>110 volt. It feeds my ntsc gamecube adapter, which in turn feeds my PAL cube (don't ask me why plz :P). So i guess it is possible, but you should wait for someone else to verify my answer. Shouldn't take the risk of frying your cube, because my knowledge as of yet is rather limited regarding these matters.
2 I remember a few years back I tried my GAMECUBE RGB cable on my SNES, and the picture was way too dark. After ordering a SNES RGB cable, I tried using it on my cube just for fun and hey...it worked as it should. Need to check back later if I remember correctly.
3 Yes
4 no region locking on any Nintendo handhelds, aside from the 3DS family. So I think you should be fine.
5.1 I think you should be fine using the NTSC hardware player, as the hardware is the same on all regions (not sure on this one)
5.2 If your using the NTSC GameboyPlayer-disc, on a pal cube, you need a freeloader or any other alternative to load other region discs. If you're using a Pal disc, you loose the ability to play gameboy games at 480p, but that shouldn't matter as your only interested in 240p via swiss. Point 3,4 and 5 shouldnt matter really, as swiss is you best friend on the cube :)
Dream mod: HI-speed port device utilizing 4:4:4 RGB 32 bit colour, 720p video and variable refresh rate. :shock:
Favourite mod: GC Loader flashed with latest swiss.
Eagerly awaiting a normal, form-factor wise, wireless controller with rumble. :)
jlo138

Re: Importing a PAL Cube for RGB with the Game Boy Player

Post by jlo138 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:35 pm

6arm79 wrote:I'm searching for a solution to getting RGB or component out for the Game Boy Player, and I've decided I may import a PAL Cube into the U.S., and use the RGB output. While I can't do 480p with RGB, I can do 240p, now that this can be done with Swiss, and run it into my XRGB to either linedouble it or view with scanlines. I have a few questions, that I think you guys might be able to help me with.

1) I think I already know the answer to this, but just to be clear, can I use a US NTSC AC Adapter on a PAL Gamecube (in the U.S.)

2) Do I need a separate RGB cable? Do I need to import a PAL Gamecube RGB cable, or can I use, say, a NTSC SNES cable? This website says that the PAL RGB cable is exactly the same as the NTSC SNES cable, having 220uF caps on R, G, and B. The only difference is that the composite video has a resistor, whereas composite video for all US systems doesn't need a resistor in the cable. If that's true, then I would see it still causing a problem when using the composite video for sync, since the website also says that composite sync is not attached on PAL SNES's or Cubes. Interestingly, the author also says that certain PAL systems don't work with the PAL RGB cable, such as his Swedish system, while his French/German one worked.
http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:nintendomultiav
This website also shows circuit diagrams:
http://members.optusnet.com.au/eviltim/ ... escart.htm
I don't understand circuit diagrams that well, but the Cube and NTSC SNES diagrams seem to be somewhat different.
Has anyone tried this?

3) Can controllers be used in any region?

4) I assume there would be no problems with region locking on the GBA/GBC/GB games?

5) Finally, to load the Game Boy Player start disc in 60 Hz in 240p on a PAL system. Could I use my NTSC Player? Should I use a PAL or NTSC iso of the disc with SD Media Launcher?

I appreciate the help.
1) Yes, I have a PAL cube and it's using a U.S ac adapter.
2) Not familiar
3) Yes AFAIK
4) The gameboy player isn't region locked. The disc for the gameboy player decides what it plays. I've had a Jap GBP on a U.S NTSC console and U.S disc and played a U.S GB game just fine.
5) Not sure either

I live in the U.S BTW.
.timil retcarahc 552 a si erehT .ekam uoy stsop ot dedda eb nac taht txet fo kcolb a si sihT