Wavebird receiver DIY?

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
jonathanb9595

Wavebird receiver DIY?

Post by jonathanb9595 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:35 am

Hello all, I was wondering if anybody has tried to make a wavebird receiver? I have lurked here for a couple hours but haven't found anything that seems to directly pertain to making a receiver. I did read up on the threads pertaining to controls,(The rumble mod, nyko, and minimum wiring to still have the controller work) but nothing seemed to give me a definitive answer. I have done a little research, and I've been looking around for some 2.4ghz programmable receiver boards, but I'm still a little weary about how practical this is. Thanks!
Nukatha

Re: Wavebird receiver DIY?

Post by Nukatha » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:06 am

Speaking of which, has anyone figured why it seems so common for people to apparently intentionally get rid of their Wavebird adapters?
Why are they so much harder to find than the controller proper?
The fact that people can't keep them together makes me want to punch them.

Also, then there's jerks like this one ebay pricing the standalone receivers way higher than they ought to be: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Official-Ninten ... 1e95d243fe

Ugh, it makes me mad.
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:48 pm

I know this is not exactly what you have in mind here. But I'm fairly certain that this little project could be adapted for GC use pretty easily:

http://hackaday.com/2012/02/13/wireless ... o-systems/

http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=4393.0

I've actually thought very hard about tackling this. But its on the back burner for now.

Micro seems like a pretty awesome guy. If someone with the right skills is really interested in getting this going maybe message him and see what it would take to get started.
jonathanb9595

Post by jonathanb9595 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:37 pm

Thanks Ashen, I'll definitely ask Micro if he has a good starting point! If I hear anything back or make any progress I'll be sure to post back.
smalltownguy2

Post by smalltownguy2 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:26 pm

BUMP. I think this sounds like a fantastic idea.
tesla246

Post by tesla246 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:09 pm

Seconded; a wireless gamecube controller mod would be amazing. Never could my hands adjust comfortably to the bulky form factor of the wavebird and the lack of rumble; that fishing rod minigame in Mario Party 5 just felt weird without rumble. Another point in favour of a mod is that wavebirds are also, increasingly so, becoming harder to find in good conditition (which means including the receiver). And the price of Gamecube related accessories is ever increasing.

I've thought about assembling a 3rd party wireless controller PCB into an official 1st party controller, but allas; I do not know of any wireless Gamecube rumble controllers without added bulk and the same form factor pcb-wise (as the wired official controller) which would match perfectly regarding button placement.

Micro's controllers do look amazing. Particularly the lack of a power button, and thus awakening it from its sleep mode with a button press, almost makes it seem official. Sadly he does not have a Gamecube solution and his N64 controller, while ceretainly impressive, does not support rumble.
Dream mod: HI-speed port device utilizing 4:4:4 RGB 32 bit colour, 720p video and variable refresh rate. :shock:
Favourite mod: GC Loader flashed with latest swiss.
Eagerly awaiting a normal, form-factor wise, wireless controller with rumble. :)
mario_pic

Post by mario_pic » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:58 am

think we are going at this wrong i think a good idea is to make breakout board that makes a wired controller and wavebird controller thats dead useable just bypass the stock rf setup theres lots of room to do this just need someone willing to make somthing that works i got a few dead wave birds id love to mod and get running