Megadrive v3 and GC drive

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
Mikeyy00

Megadrive v3 and GC drive

Post by Mikeyy00 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:49 pm

Hi there, currently waiting for a Megadrive v3, (correct me if I'm wrong), but I'm hoping that I can connect that to the GC motherboard, have the ribbon cable from the mega go into a WASP Fusion, then have another ribbon cable come out, go into a NHDFFC36 type adapter, and then wire that to the original GC drive (with the DVD connector removed). Does that sound right? Should that work fine as long as I have the eject and 29 switch wired right? Provided I leave the SD card slot external, will I have enough room to close it up?

Also, if this works, will the WASP provide power to the GC drive? Or do I need to wire that separate?

Basically I'm looking to retain the GC drive for streaming games, and the WASP for non streaming. (essentially the functionality of the v4, but since no stock currently, can I adapt the v3?). If this won't work, is it worth trying to contact mega, and change my order to a future v4?

Thanks!
megalomaniac

Re: Megadrive v3 and GC drive

Post by megalomaniac » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:37 pm

you will need to provide 5v to the driveboard and you should also connect a direct GND wire also just in case.

height will be another concern, V3 has the plug connector....
then add the PCB thickness + the FFC connector = total height is greater than original design
you will have to put your DVD drive on "stilts" to allow proper clearance, but then the next problem is the case wont fit back on

other than all these obsticals, everything should work if wired properly......
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
Mikeyy00

Re: Megadrive v3 and GC drive

Post by Mikeyy00 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:08 am

Cool. Thanks for the reply.

Are your next batch of v4's incoming pretty quick? I'd rather just upgrade to that if they are... Then I'll be able to close it up for sure.