Wii DVD Drive into a Gamecube

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
Crosz

Wii DVD Drive into a Gamecube

Post by Crosz » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:37 pm

Hey guys im still working on some Gamecubemodding projekts and i was wondering if there is any guide to connect the wii dvd drive to the Gamecube. Is there any picture with the pinout?

As far as i see it in Ashens YouTubevideo i should be possible..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMeXMlDtaGE

Anyone knows how to do it?
DerGali

Re: Wii DVD Drive into a Gamecube

Post by DerGali » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:41 pm

megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:46 pm

Connecting a Wii DVD drive is the exact same as WKF/WASP/WODE pinout shown by Ashen..
Follow the guide..
If you have a WASP connected to GC, then the drive directly connects thru FFC...
Don't forget 3v 5v 12v for the drive
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
Crosz

Post by Crosz » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:13 pm

Does anyone know where to buy an Wasp Fusion?
and could i only use it for the connection of the DVD Drive and the cube or is it powering its bios anyway?
(As far as i see it this is the cleanest way of this connection right?)
RazorX2014

Post by RazorX2014 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:16 pm

from badassconsoles.com and yes you can with some modifications and a megadrive v3 from there or you could buy a megadrive v4 which is a gamecube drive with a wasp fusion on it, theres more info on the site
Crosz

Post by Crosz » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:29 pm

Well i d love to get a Mega Drive but i wonder if it is the best way for me...

The Mega Drive 3 is 50$ wich is quite expensive for the simple mod im willing to do..

Does the following Wasp Fusion (Link below) do the same for me as the Mega Drive? (Connecting DVD Drive to Gamecube)
http://www.eurasia.nu/shop/product_info ... cts_id=431

It got like half of the price of an Mega drive...
RazorX2014

Post by RazorX2014 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:05 pm

no you need the megadrive v3 to connect the wasp fusion to the gamecube if you want i could send you a pick of mine for you too look at but i dont have a drive connected to mine if you want to connect a wii drive to the gamecube you can with my setup but you will need some soldering skills in order to solder some wires from the gamecube mainboard to the wii drive to power it.
Crosz

Post by Crosz » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:17 am

What... So you are saying that i need to buy both? the wasp fusion and the Mega Drive 3? wich is like 75$...

If that is right i would like to know if there is a cheaper way to do this... (direct soldering from gc to dvd drive might be too hard for me i guess...)

Anyway i d love to see a pic how you connected it razorx2014.

Does an cable exist that got an "ffc-plug" and "splited wires" on the other side?
theclaw

Post by theclaw » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:40 am

What are the benefits of this mod? I'm not familiar with it.

For that much money I'd rather buy a Wii hacked for imports and backups, than be limited to just gc games.
RazorX2014

Post by RazorX2014 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:55 pm

Crosz wrote:What... So you are saying that i need to buy both? the wasp fusion and the Mega Drive 3? wich is like 75$...

If that is right i would like to know if there is a cheaper way to do this... (direct soldering from gc to dvd drive might be too hard for me i guess...)

Anyway i d love to see a pic how you connected it razorx2014.

Does an cable exist that got an "ffc-plug" and "splited wires" on the other side?
you have to solder the wires to the bottom of the wii drive and then from there too the gamecube motherboard im sure you can find a picture somewhere but tbh you dont really need a disc drive or if you wanted to pay more you could buy a megadrive v4 which is a wasp fusion attached to a gamecube drive so you can use both check out http://www.badassconsoles.com for more details and here are some pics of mine.
Spoiler
Show
Pearl White Gamecube With Megadrive v3 And Wasp Fusion

Megadrive v3 Close Up

Internal Wavebird Receiver

Pearl White Gamecube With Megadrive v3 And Wasp Fusion With Lid On
RazorX2014

Post by RazorX2014 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:56 pm

theclaw wrote:What are the benefits of this mod? I'm not familiar with it.

For that much money I'd rather buy a Wii hacked for imports and backups, than be limited to just gc games.
you can play all your games from sd card as well as homebrew
theclaw

Post by theclaw » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:22 pm

RazorX2014 wrote:

I didn't mean sd cards. I'm curious about what you gain from replacing the gc optical drive with a wii one.
RazorX2014

Post by RazorX2014 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:43 pm

theclaw wrote:
RazorX2014 wrote:

I didn't mean sd cards. I'm curious about what you gain from replacing the gc optical drive with a wii one.
hmm i could imagine the wii drive is faster than the gamecube one but i cant be sure, the main advantage is you can use full sized discs but as i say if you can run stuff from sd there isnt really a need for a disc drive.
theclaw

Post by theclaw » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:38 pm

RazorX2014 wrote:hmm i could imagine the wii drive is faster than the gamecube one but i cant be sure, the main advantage is you can use full sized discs but as i say if you can run stuff from sd there isnt really a need for a disc drive.
I suppose the hardest part is building a chassis. Unlikely anyone sells pre-made cases big enough to fit a wii drive plus gc motherboard/etc into.
Icedcube and its kind, only fit gc drives.
RazorX2014

Post by RazorX2014 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:48 pm

theclaw wrote:
RazorX2014 wrote:hmm i could imagine the wii drive is faster than the gamecube one but i cant be sure, the main advantage is you can use full sized discs but as i say if you can run stuff from sd there isnt really a need for a disc drive.
I suppose the hardest part is building a chassis. Unlikely anyone sells pre-made cases big enough to fit a wii drive plus gc motherboard/etc into.
Icedcube and its kind, only fit gc drives.
well that goes without saying.
Crosz

Post by Crosz » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:20 am

Well.. the benefit of this mod is to own an Gamecube with an Wii-DVD-Drive build into it wich is obviously quite rare..
Like most of the things i´m modding this is not for functional improvement. And that is why i don´t want to pay so many Money for a Mega Drive... I only want to use the DVD-Drive and not any modchip/SD-Card/HDD.

The DVD Drive defently fits into the Gamecube
RazorX2014

Post by RazorX2014 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:27 pm

Crosz wrote:Well.. the benefit of this mod is to own an Gamecube with an Wii-DVD-Drive build into it wich is obviously quite rare..
Like most of the things i´m modding this is not for functional improvement. And that is why i don´t want to pay so many Money for a Mega Drive... I only want to use the DVD-Drive and not any modchip/SD-Card/HDD.

The DVD Drive defently fits into the Gamecube
you dont actually need a modchip you could connect the drive to a megadrive v3 but if your not willing to buy one then would would have to solder wires from the gamecube to the wii drive itself to get it working but i dont see the point in doing that
theclaw

Post by theclaw » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:15 pm

RazorX2014 wrote:well that goes without saying.
Heh. One of these days, somebody here will take this topic to its best conclusion. A true slot-loading gc. :D
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:40 am

Crosz wrote:i don´t want to pay so many Money for a Mega Drive
...so if a case was for sale i bet you would not want to pay so many money for that either, eh??
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving

Image Image Image
badsector

Post by badsector » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:56 am

I would! :D
Crosz

Post by Crosz » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:11 pm

megalomaniac wrote:
Crosz wrote:i don´t want to pay so many Money for a Mega Drive
...so if a case was for sale i bet you would not want to pay so many money for that either, eh??
i guess i wouldn´t.... because i take it as a challange to do it myself..
I was saying that i guess the Megadrive does way more then i need from it and that the price is fine in common but maybe not the best alternative for me...

I´m just looking for a cheaper method then the "mega Drive + Wasp Fusion" to do this mod without having to solder this micropins of the ffc adapter.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:15 pm

if all you want is a GC with Wii drive then all you need is MEGAdrive
no wasp needed

Image Image Image
noobcube

Post by noobcube » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:04 pm

megalomaniac wrote:if all you want is a GC with Wii drive then all you need is MEGAdrive
no wasp needed
http://www.badassconsoles.com/megadrive-v5/

If just connecting a Wii drive, all you would need are the data/power/switch connections. Would this work?

From what I understand, the Gamecube reads discs at 3x while the Wii reads at 6x. In Gamecube mode the Wii switches to 3x. So, if you hook up a Wii drive to a GC, does it read at GC or Wii speed?

I know that some modchips (like the original Wiikey) allow you to choose the read speed, so you can read GC backups at 6x, while IIRC, original GC discs are still read at 3x.

FWIW, I like the idea of using a thin slot-loading drive with a Gamecube, though find it difficult to justify the amount of work that would have to be done with wiring and case modifications in order to make it happen. Guess I'll just settle for my full-size Icedcube case.... 8-)
RazorX2014

Post by RazorX2014 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:44 pm

that one you need to solder to the gamecube mainboard its not plug and play like the megadrive v3
Duhasst0

Post by Duhasst0 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:12 am

Yeah the version 3 could make for a great GC with Wii drive. It does seem very challenging. Might have to get one soon...