Megadrive v6 + WODE

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Megadrive v6 + WODE

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:47 pm

Here's some pictures I took of my WODE + V6 I put into a NTSC-J 1.0 recently. The V6 is a pain without proper tools :)

Pictures:

Wired up, with lid wires pointlessly going to the top (through the hole) in case I decide to use a switch
Spoiler
Show
It works!
Spoiler
Show
Config loaded, case re-assembled mostly...
Spoiler
Show
Config in the IPL :)
Spoiler
Show
Attachments
wode4.jpg
(181.17 KiB) Not downloaded yet
wode3.jpg
(191.27 KiB) Not downloaded yet
wode2.jpg
(290.16 KiB) Not downloaded yet
wode1.jpg
(329.6 KiB) Not downloaded yet
andre104623

Re: Megadrive v6 + WODE

Post by andre104623 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:12 pm

Nice! Really good job. I'm waiting for my V6's to come but I find that using the WODE on gamecube is kind of a waste since the WODE can do so much more on the Wii (and I think it makes the Wii look really cool). Does audio streaming work on WODE from USB/SD? well not the SD since swiss must be loaded on it. I never tried it yet with mine.

Since you have the DVD port intact what would happen if you put the DVD drive in and wire a switch from the power wire going to the V6 (and WODE in your case)? Would it let you use both DVD/WODE not at the same time of course but would it cause a conflict. Like say if I had the same setup but with a WASP and no DVD in the drive and before I power the console on I turned the switch on for the WASP power would it take over and bypass the DVD. Same if I turned the WASP off and put a DVD in the drive?
novenary

Post by novenary » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:11 pm

From what I understand the WODE is much better than the wasp at what it does, plus emu needs it for development purposes.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:34 am

andre, DVD always has power to it when plugged into the mainboard port...how would you ever disconnect power from DVD??
thats what you need to consider first, then maybe you can get the rest figured out after that..
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:00 am

megalomaniac wrote:andre, DVD always has power to it when plugged into the mainboard port...how would you ever disconnect power from DVD??
thats what you need to consider first, then maybe you can get the rest figured out after that..
Yeah i forget about that. Does all 4 5v power lines have to be connected for the dvd drive to function properly or can you get away with 1-2 lines.

Edit: Since no one gave me a answer I'm going to guess that yes all 5V lines must be connected
kel01

Post by kel01 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:36 am

andre104623 wrote:Since you have the DVD port intact what would happen if you put the DVD drive in and wire a switch from the power wire going to the V6 (and WODE in your case)? Would it let you use both DVD/WODE not at the same time of course but would it cause a conflict. Like say if I had the same setup but with a WASP and no DVD in the drive and before I power the console on I turned the switch on for the WASP power would it take over and bypass the DVD. Same if I turned the WASP off and put a DVD in the drive?
I already tried it a long time ago andre. The data lines connected to the drive and the Wode still conflict even with the power switched between them.

The only way is passthrough on the Wode unless you can find an easy way to switch the power and data lines at the same time.
andre104623 wrote:Yeah i forget about that. Does all 4 5v power lines have to be connected for the dvd drive to function properly or can you get away with 1-2 lines.

Edit: Since no one gave me a answer I'm going to guess that yes all 5V lines must be connected
I'm sure it would still work but at the risk of the 1-2 lines/traces melting at some time in the future. It really depends on how much current the drive draws and whether or not only 1-2 lines/traces can handle it.

EDIT: Nevermind. I didn't see your other thread on this andre. Anyway it sounds like mega may have found a way to get it to work? Will be interesting to see what it is.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:34 pm

kel01 wrote: EDIT: Nevermind. I didn't see your other thread on this andre. Anyway it sounds like mega may have found a way to get it to work? Will be interesting to see what it is.
yea it will be interesting...not even i know how its gonna be done...
someone send me a keg of beer and ill have this problem solved in no time...
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving

Image Image Image
kel01

Post by kel01 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:05 am

Oh, my bad. I was referring to your posts in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2990#p31769

...but maybe I read too much into them although it wouldn't have surprised me if you had solved it.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:56 pm

kel01
I do plan to make a video on how to perform this mod...
I have not had an oppertunity to allocate time to this but first chance I get I will try to get a working version...
I'm hoping next weekend or the weekend after...

Image Image Image
kel01

Post by kel01 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:57 pm

eh, cool. In that case I'll definitely make point of watching it.

Although I haven't done any modding for a while I find this interesting because it was something that I tried in the past with no joy.

No pressure though, take your time mate.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:05 am

i performed some mods to my setup...
here is the current status:
i think i now have WASP 100% functional with the DVD drive still connected...
DVD drive appears mostly functional with WASP connected but still a bit buggy at times...

im not sure a new custom PCB can provide any simple solution for this mod...i need to keep playing with this setup and see what options are available to make this easier or maybe less confusing...

hopefully this can be a mod anyone willing to try should be able to perform...
of course still the most tricky part will be connecting a WKF/WASP to the GC, there is no way to make this any easier than it already is with MEGAdrive...but it looks like V6 might have to be used since V5 will not work in this setup...

Image Image Image
meneerbeer

Post by meneerbeer » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:16 am

So basically you have both the datalines for the Wasp and the disc drive connected in parallel? I guess you have one of the two without power?

If that is the case, then I am not sure how reliable it can get. From what I heard even if one of the two is powered off, the connections of the turned off device can still somewhat respond to inputs it gets.

Someone at assemblergames wanted to do something similar: making a multi game gameboy cartridge by connecting multiple roms in parallel: http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/con ... boy.56784/

I can still be wrong about how you are trying to achieve this mod. And if it works, it works, I guess. We don't need airplane reliability. :P