Building Wasp+DVD drive

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
andre104623

Building Wasp+DVD drive

Post by andre104623 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:59 pm

I been trying to figure out a way to retain a DVD drive but also have the benefits of a Wasp fusion. So I took a DVD drive daughter board and removed the port connector. Then I marked which pins going to the DVD drive are 5v then I removed the pins from the port connector that had power. I soldered wires to the daughter board 5v pads and wired a switch from all 4 5v power lines to the power rail.
20150728_131712.jpg
(83.93 KiB) Not downloaded yet
It does work I played resident evil 4 for a while there is no modchip so I was playing a real title. Then I can power off the console flip the switch and the DVD drive is off does nothing but my problem here is I should be getting a error right? Like there is no drive connected so if a Wasp was connected at this point it would boot swiss on flash. There is no Wasp yet my goal for today was to power the drive with the use of a switch my main goal is to have one switch so flip the switch to DVD you get the DVD drive flip to Wasp then you use SD cards with swiss on flash. I did a few test like start the console on with switch in the on position, DVD spins up reads the title see it on the boot screen I then open the Lid switch DVD power to off then close the Lid then see what the gamecube is trying to do. It's trying to read a disc even with the power disconnected and still can read if the Lid is open or closed. If I start the console with the switch in the off position it's trying to autoboot a title then just hangs. I need to try a few more things
megalomaniac

Re: Building Wasp+DVD drive

Post by megalomaniac » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:31 pm

I'm covering this topic in my next mod stream....no removal of ports required...
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:28 pm

megalomaniac wrote:I'm covering this topic in my next mod stream....no removal of ports required...
Cool, I'm at least on the right track? It was very hard getting the dvd port connector off without damaging the traces on the daughter board
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:30 pm

you can put that connector back on if you want....
...or wait to see what i do and decide what you want to do...
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving

Image Image Image
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:38 pm

megalomaniac wrote:you can put that connector back on if you want....
...or wait to see what i do and decide what you want to do...
The connector is soldered back down its just missing the 4 5 volt pins in the connector as shown in the pics. I was trying to disable the dvd drive like you said in a other topic when emu made his V6. I asked about the possibility of placing the dvd drive back on what would happen. Thats when you pointed out that the dvd drive must have no power as well
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:37 pm

I think I might of figured this out just need to test. My idea is to remove the DVD filters solder host to the pads closes to the gpu. Do the same for the DVD side of the wasp solder them closes to the DVD port now place the dvd drive back on. This is still a just theory but if I'm correct should be a true pass through. I don't see why it wouldn't work unless the DVD drive really needs those DVD filters to work properly.
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:31 am

Progress report DVD filters removed and so are the ffc connectors from the wasp both dvd side and host. Now in the process of soldering the wasp host side to the gamecube then sometime this week hopefully i can get it finished. I dont want to waste any megadrives on this project so wires will be used. Its looking good so far I'm also using wiikey 1.5 instead of swiss for now.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:02 am

wiikey 1.5 ???
this should be a fun thread...hehehehe

Image Image Image
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:25 am

megalomaniac wrote:wiikey 1.5 ???
this should be a fun thread...hehehehe
Well long story short i pulled this from a wii then when emu sold me his wode i put that in instead. I know a lot of people don't like the wiikey firmware but it never gave me any problem besides having to use WBFS
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:00 pm

Progress report ( again ) At this point I think I want to stop and wait to see what mega does. Wasp is working with wiikey firmware 1.5 but that's it DVD side is empty for now. I really don't know how you guys did this with wires my god it sucks. I checked points with my mutimeter and 2 wires came off ( FUCK! ). So at this point I can use the cube with WBFS SD card but this wasn't the goal of the project. The WASP is not messed up I could put back the FFC connectors if I wanted to they came off clean really they came off way too clean like they didn't solder the pins down. I tried the FFC cable soldering trick :? Lets just say I'm down a FFC cable its too stressful

Today I'm going to take apart the wasp and desolder the wires lets wait and see what mega can do