Wii DVD/Wiikey Fusion/WODE + GC Portable Discussion

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
alambriojo

Re: Building a portable GC: Need options other than DVD

Post by alambriojo » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:01 am

Ashen maybe now the sundrivier works fine
bearteam

Post by bearteam » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:01 am

Too bad, my GC mobo revision is DOL - CPU 11,too. It seems that not mobo revision matters.
Now I broke my Wiikey Fusion becasuse I sent 5V to it. When I tried to change the WIIKEY setting , it hangs. when I reboot the GC, I could not enter the WIIKEY menu again. :(
I'm trying to recover the firmware to version 1.2. Hope that would help...
alambriojo

Post by alambriojo » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:15 am

looks there is a setting in the cube or something that no let wiikey works fine,
alambriojo

Post by alambriojo » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:18 am

bearteam check wires,
bearteam

Post by bearteam » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:33 am

Thank goodness. My wiikey has revived when I reconnected it back to 3.4V. :P
Don't connect the wiikey to 5V directly, it won't work if you change the setting.
bearteam

Post by bearteam » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:04 pm

alambriojo wrote:bearteam check wires,
I totally have soldered the wires for 3 times, but the situation remained the same. How frustrating. :x
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:36 pm

Bearteam, do you have a different cube you can try? with a newer revision motherboard?

Edit: Also is yours a ntsc-u dol-cpu-11? or ntsc-j? I remember you saying your console was a launch day one, which is what got me thinking that it was a motherboard problem as our issues were similar. Maybe the very early GC boards just wont work properly with the fusion. :/
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:19 pm

emu_kidid wrote:What was the other one you were trying to wire up? DOL-101?
The board that is not working for me is a NTSC-U DOL-CPU-10 revision motherboard. This is printed on the GC motherboard underneath the heatsink. This is the GC I bought on US launch day. So it may only be very early revision boards not working. This is the same board I have been doing all my testing on. The Wii DVD drive DOES work on this board.

The board that I have working is a NTSC-U DOL-CPU-11. This is the same NTSC-U board that Zenloc was using to test the DVD Drive and the Fusion.

I also have a cut up NTSC-U DOL-CPU-20 motherboard. when I get some time I will also wire this board up to test. Gonna be a bit though.
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:16 pm

Some video's of the different motherboards behavior.

DOL-CPU-11:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU2mHNJbrCI

DOL-CPU-10:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDUKNRxJq6U

As you can see the DOL-11 board works flawlessly. I can press the "eject button" whenever I want and the GC does not hang. It also loads all the games i've tossed at it so far without error.

The DOL-10 board however hangs when the "eject button" is pressed UNLESS it is pressed exactly at the right moment at GC boot. Even when done with the right timing though, the wiikey menu will load but all but a few games hang at the cube logo when the GC is rebooted by the fusion. You can see in the video that the blue LED on the fusion stays lit the whole time after reboot. The only games I got to load properly with this motherboard were Resident Evil 2 NTSC-U and Zelda Collectors Edition NTSC-U. Both of these games load flawlessly every time...
bearteam

Post by bearteam » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:21 pm

Ashen wrote:Bearteam, do you have a different cube you can try? with a newer revision motherboard?

Edit: Also is yours a ntsc-u dol-cpu-11? or ntsc-j? I remember you saying your console was a launch day one, which is what got me thinking that it was a motherboard problem as our issues were similar. Maybe the very early GC boards just wont work properly with the fusion. :/
The revision of my Gamecube is Dol-CPU 11 NTSC-J.
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:15 pm

A few things I have forgotten to mention in my distress over the Wiikey situation.

1. Protoadvantage has made things right with me after I contacted them about the connectors I received. They UPS shipped me 2 new connectors without the pins installed free of charge the very next day, which is something I did not expect and most company's would not do. While still a bit pricey, I take back all the negative comments I've made about them and still recommend using them for US and Canada orders. Just make sure you STRESS how you want the connectors assembled. The person I've been in contact with said that it would have been better to call than web order for such specific assembly instructions.

2. Nailed down the final case design and built a new much improved vac forming table. Ordered 32 Sheets of .080" high impact styrene and it has arrived. REAL production of these portables will begin tomorrow :) I will also be accepting commissions on the cases for people who like the design and want to build a portable. I'll post some pictures when I get them made and you can PM me if you are interested. Prices will be reasonable. ^_^

3. Bearteam and others having problems with the Wiikey. I'm sorry for your trouble and frustration. Being that this is a relatively new mod I figured we would run into some issues. Maybe we should have kept it under wraps until it was tested more. The best thing I can tell you to do at this point is to try a different cube with a newer motherboard and hope for better results.
Abb_eliten

Post by Abb_eliten » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:22 pm

NTSC U CPU-30 board tested and working. No freezing.

I have only tested it with Mario Party 6 since I don't have that many NTSC isos (yet :twisted:).
But I guess if one's working, all others should as well.
alambriojo

Post by alambriojo » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:31 pm

emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:50 pm

mine is the release date GC board too and it's all working flawless.

The blue LED "always on" behaviour I'd experienced too but after revising things, I got it all figured out (two wires were grounded together).

edit: Ashen, on the board that it works "properly", are you getting 100% compatibility across region games that bearteam mentioned weren't working properly?
bearteam

Post by bearteam » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:00 am

alambriojo wrote:bearteam there ia a switch that can change the region of gamecube, maybe this works

http://www.oratan.com/projects/images/gcn_04.jpg

http://www.oratan.com/projects/images/gcn_07.jpg

http://www.oratan.com/projects/images/gcn_09.jpg
No, I tried it and it didn't work.
Paul.str

Post by Paul.str » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:25 am

How do you check the motherboard version?

It is a software thing or hardware?
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:26 am

emu_kidid wrote: Ashen, on the board that it works "properly", are you getting 100% compatibility across region games that bearteam mentioned weren't working properly?
I'm going to do some serious compatibility testing starting tonight. I'll post my results when done. Might take me a bit though. Only ntsc-u games right now. I wont be testing off region loading.

I know you said your cube is a launch day GC. I'm curious what the actual MB revision is though. Should we start some kind of compatibility list?
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:27 am

Paul.str wrote:How do you check the motherboard version?

It is a software thing or hardware?
Its written on the board under the heatsink. It will say DOL-CPU-xx
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:33 am

I'm thinking it's more down to the IPL version, I could be wrong.
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:39 am

Well, my "homemade" swiss .iso boots on both boards. I'll check tonight and let you know.
bearteam

Post by bearteam » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:02 am

Emu_kidid just posted me a message about a connect board on taobao.
Here's the picture.
This one is designed to connect the LCD screen to something, so some pins are linked together and these pins are hard to be separated. A friend of mine bought 10 pcs and found it could not be used. At last he had to disassemble the plugs and used plugs only.
If you wanna buy a connector, I advise you try other ones.
Though the one showed in the pic seems to be the cheapest, they are useless and only a waste of your money.
Attachments
T131xFXkXsXXb1UeYb_123638_jpg_310x310.jpg
(22.58 KiB) Not downloaded yet
epoch

Post by epoch » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:56 am

bearteam wrote:Though the one showed in the pic seems to be the cheapest, they are useless and only a waste of your money.
bummer. i was hoping that it was going to be an easy way out... how about we pool and get adapters made to use with the wiikey fusion...

[GC mainboard]---<GC ribbon>--[adapter board]--<wiikey ribbon>---[wiikey fusion board]

the adapter would have the traces as documented on the thread. if we pool enough people, it would make it super easy...
i bit we can make it for less than US$20 for the board, and the 2 connectors... we just need some volume...
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:59 am

I'm waiting on a quote from the guy bearteam got his connector from but they might end up about $10 each that way.

The GC mainboard connector is the expensive part, but we could get it done via a board that sits directly on the solder points under the GC (with 32 little holes that the pins will go into and we can just solder direct).
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:28 am

Bummer about that connector. Removed from megaguide.

That sounds like a pretty awesome plan emu. You actually found someone who can manufacture the GC DVD connector though?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:41 am

for a large price the actual plastic connector can even be made but that's not worth the money - it'd be over $1k :(

I'm thinking, a PCB that goes under the GC DVD connector (on the bottom side of the GC mainboard) and it'll sit over the pins with 32 little holes for the pins to be soldered onto. it'd need to be a pretty precise design - i.e. hole locations. After that, it can either have the connector straight on there or go to a sub-board via another small ribbon cable.