Wii DVD/Wiikey Fusion/WODE + GC Portable Discussion

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
bearteam

Re: Building a portable GC: Need options other than DVD

Post by bearteam » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:48 am

emu_kidid wrote:for a large price the actual plastic connector can even be made but that's not worth the money - it'd be over $1k :(

I'm thinking, a PCB that goes under the GC DVD connector (on the bottom side of the GC mainboard) and it'll sit over the pins with 32 little holes for the pins to be soldered onto. it'd need to be a pretty precise design - i.e. hole locations. After that, it can either have the connector straight on there or go to a sub-board via another small ribbon cable.
You means the board works like XENO?
I think the best way is to ask the WIIKEY team to edit the PCB layout of Wiikey fusion and to fix the compatibility problems on GC.
Last edited by bearteam on Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:57 am

Yes, like a XenoGC, but it should be cleaner since you're not soldering to flat objects from a great height (2-3mm) like the Xeno.
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:56 am

You maybe be right about the IPL thing emu. DOL-11 board is rev 1.1 - DOL-10 board is 1.0 :/

This may sound noobish but.. I'm assuming the IPL cannot be upgraded?
bearteam

Post by bearteam » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:05 am

My DOL-11 board is rev 1.0 :(
I don't think the IPL can be upgraded . The IPL is encrypted.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:10 am

Well if you can boot swiss on it then it'll be a nice replacement. I can make a "Quick boot" swiss which will bypass the GC IPL even.
bearteam

Post by bearteam » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:09 am

Gamecube IPL versions and Revisions
Here are all the listed Gamecube revision and their IPL versions:

IPL Version 1.0 : This IPL can be found in both PAL and can NTSC Gamecubes however for PAL gamecubes it's the only one IPL revision available, and the NTSC and PAL version of this IPL are different. It can only be found in DOL-001 REV A gamecubes

IPL Version 1.1 : This IPL is used on REV A/B NTSC dol-001 gamecubes but it can also be found on PAL M DOL-002 Brazilian Gamecubes and uses the same version number ! (I heared 1.2 could be found in those too but I have no real proof yet)

IPL Version 1.2 : There are two version of this IPL, they are all for NTSC units. One is for DOL-001 and the other is for DOL-101 both versions do have the same version number but not the same release date and are not compatible each others, thats one of the reason of the numerous bugs from Cobra 0.2 ; 0.3 and 0.4 with DOL-101 units. this IPL can be found on DOL-101 REV C and DOL-001 REV A, B Gamecubes.

IPL Version ?.? (1.1 and maybe 1.2) : This IPL is very special, it can only be found in DOL-002 gamecubes that are only beeing sold in brazil (allong with DOL-001)
it's a special gamecube co-produced by both Nintendo Corporation and Gradiente Corporation (A brasilian Company) the main differences are that the gamecube menues are in Portuguese (Official Language in Brasil) and that the display is in PAL M signals. beside that the gamecueb is the same but this very particular IPL makes it uncompatible with Cobra that do patch the GC IPL to work however it still works with anaconda, QOOB and of course GCOS.

Lexical:

REV A: DOL-001 gamecubes with both Digital AV output on and Serial port 2 inside ::Status: Still beeing sold in Europe and Korea (NTSC J) , Sold out in Japan and both North and South America.

REV B: DOL-001 gamecubes with both Digital AV output on, but where the serial Port 2 had been removed ::Status: Sold out worldwide but you can still get one in the usa if you exchange your DOL-101 (unmodded) gamecube to a DOL-001 version with nintendo (for free).

REV C: DOL-101 gamecubes without Digital AV output and serial Port 2. ::Status: It's the current Retail version for worldwide exept for PAL gamecube systems (EU + Australia) and Brasil.

*I still don't know if DOL-002 brasilian gamecubes are REV A, B or C.

I know it can help or interest some people to have that IPL version guide and know more about those, however only Retail IPL versions are mentionned here, don't look for details on the TDEV or NPDP GBOX IPLs while looking at that post !!

Thanks again for the time you spent reading those lines

NOTE about Panasonic Q: There is also a modified gamecube that reads dvd videos that is called the Panasonic Q and that is only beeing sold in japan, however I don't know what IPL version it can have, I heared someone has a V2 IPL in his Panasonic Q, however panasonic Q, is just composed of a panasonic dvd player mainboard, a gamecube mainboard (a japanese DOL-001 Retail version) and a (VERY) mofidied v8 Drive (that only has v8 in the drive version but that is totally different from standard v8 drives) it also uses two different drive controler chips, one for dvd and the other for gamecube, and the gamecube controller will NEVER allow to read more than 8cm medias (no full dvd reading on the gamecube mode as it's hardware limited by the controler chip) howver Q can be much less picky with medias than standard gamcubes however current Panasonic Q drives aren't supported by Cobra and GCOS yet, you will need a QOOB to run backups on that unit.

*UPDATED 29/04/05* I've been using IPL version numbers given in cobra to make this review easier to understand but in order to remove some missunderstanding I'll be using the official ones staring from now, there also apears to be 2 others NTSC IPL revisions but I don't know enough about them to post those on that review yet so I removed those from it (for now) and yes I checked a descrypted NTSC 1.0 IPL, it appears to exist however it doesn't have any version infos in it (that's not the case of other IPLs) so I didn't know it was the NTSC 1.0 until DrMatrix post, in fact it was mentionned as IPL 0.0 in my last review.

I will continue to update that review as soon as I get more infos
Last edited by Mathieulh; 04-29-2005 at 04:28 PM.

http://www.maxconsole.net/showthread.ph ... -Revisions
bearteam

Post by bearteam » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:16 pm

I ordered a second-hand silver NTSC-J gamecube with 1.1 IPL on taobao, it will be arrived on Monday. I think this one may work for me. God ,please bless me:)
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:43 pm

Nice man, I'm rooting for you!

About 80% done with compatibility testing. Out of 140ish or so games only issues with 4 of them so far. I'll post when done.

btw, taobao = like chinese/asian region ebay?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:44 pm

Can't get those adapters from the taobao guy :( sucks..
bearteam

Post by bearteam » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:51 pm

Ashen wrote:Nice man, I'm rooting for you!

About 80% done with compatibility testing. Out of 140ish or so games only issues with 4 of them so far. I'll post when done.

btw, taobao = like chinese/asian region ebay?
Yes.
epoch

Post by epoch » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:51 am

emu_kidid wrote:Can't get those adapters from the taobao guy :( sucks..
what other option do we have? it's the wii connector we're after, right? the same that's on the wiikey board? could the wiikey team share their source for the part? or give us some? do you have any contact there? (maybe they are reading this?

at this point, if we can't find that connector, i guess i'll just go and remove the connector from the wiikey board, and wire harness direct board to board... but darn, those pads are small as hell... i was hoping for something slighly less "surgical" to get this going...
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:18 am

Bummer :/ what happened?

Epoch, there is always protoadvantage. We could bug the wiikey team. If they see enough interest in this they may "officially" support it in some ways. Anyone ever get around to testing the WODE?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:19 am

the taobao guy doesn't want to deal with me since he can't communicate in english (I got bearteam to ask him). They suggested to go through that other site where some random proxy guy buys it from you but it would take months (liquitt knows).

I'll be testing wode soonish (next week) - I want some more proto advantage connectors first.
alambriojo

Post by alambriojo » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:18 am

maybe the zif connector works to easy connect

http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/pub/Main/Z ... erface.jpg
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:39 pm

looks ok, where are these sold?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:28 pm

looks good but it might require a few direct connections on the ribbon connector based on a quick inspection
alambriojo

Post by alambriojo » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:23 pm

in monterrey mexico its hard to find parts, so the ffc cable its 36 pins and in the store they make 36 pins, with a small razor pull up the pin 33, lift with care then they cut with a Scissors, i order 3 of this adaptors (here add 2 ffc with them), i think to adapt the side of the wiikey
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:32 pm

Finalized case production has begun :)

Attachments
DSCN0592.jpg
(34.8 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Hells Guardian

Post by Hells Guardian » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:03 am

I can't seem to find the point where power options were discussed... How do you plan on powering the unit and about how long is it's life?
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:10 pm

There are literally a ton of power options on batteryspace.com alone. Really it all depends on how you set it up, what the amp draw is of all the components and the mAh rating of your batterys. In the end, I'm hoping for a close to 3hr battery life. Any more than that would just be bonus.

I'm still tossing between 7.4v or 11.1v and haven't really decided yet. The 7.4v setup free's me up some space in my case but ups the amp draw (less voltage=more amps) so will have slightly shorter life than if I go with 11.1v. I also would need to build Zenloc's custom regulator: http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=29319 Which i've priced at about 30$+ to build per unit. :/ The 11.1v setup I can use the original GC regulator and retain the thermal protection. It will have slightly longer battery life because of the lower amp draw at the higher voltage. But its going to be a biatch to fit the 3 3.7v battery packs in my case comfortably. Once I get everything wired up proper and can test amp draw and such things I will have a better idea which one I'll use.

Here is a link to a popular battery setup for portables: http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=34576
OhBaze

Re: Wii DVD & Wiikey Fusion + GC Portable Discussion

Post by OhBaze » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:11 pm

Some questions:

My console is PAL, which means no official 480p support. Would it work if I get NTSC versions of my PAL games or is there some sort of region lock when loading ISO's?

How much storage does the SD reader support?

I've read that the Wiikey Fusion doesn't support Audio Stream, but that isn't all games right? Is there a wiki with complete list?

Thanks in advance! :)
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:13 pm

not sure about the 480p thing.

Wiikey fusion supports SDHC (4-32gb I think) not sure about SDXC (up to 2 terrabytes)

Wiikey Fusion supports playing audiostreaming games in silence. The games are playable, no sound.
OhBaze

Post by OhBaze » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:24 pm

Ashen wrote:not sure about the 480p thing.

Wiikey fusion supports SDHC (4-32gb I think) not sure about SDXC (up to 2 terrabytes)

Wiikey Fusion supports playing audiostreaming games in silence. The games are playable, no sound.
You are the boss! :D

But is there a complete list games that use audio streaming? (Or will it get fix in future?)
Abb_eliten

Post by Abb_eliten » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:55 pm

Nice!

How many of these are you planning to make?