Wii DVD/Wiikey Fusion/WODE + GC Portable Discussion

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
KirovAir

Re: Wii DVD & Wiikey Fusion + GC Portable Discussion

Post by KirovAir » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:06 am

emu_kidid wrote:step aside wiikey fusion!! WODE WORKS :D

more details soon!
Great news!
This keeps getting better and better. :D
"The only thing more dangerous than a hardware guru with a code patch is a programmer with a soldering iron."
liquitt

Post by liquitt » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:10 am

emu_kidid wrote:step aside wiikey fusion!! WODE WORKS :D

more details soon!
please search before you ask - a lot has been discussed already!
(or use google with "site:gc-forever.com *term*")
http://is.gd/MDmZcr

we also have a wiki filled with knowledge
http://is.gd/dX58Rm
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:11 am

Tested it some more.. compatibility is 100%.. it's even playing things that the wiikey fusion couldn't (cross region/shrunk ISOs)! Wired it up just like a fusion (switch on 29 to go to gnd and NC), I don't even have a switch on 23/12 but the switch on 29 behaves like a lidswitch..

I had to plug one of the USB cables into an external power source to light up the Wode screen and power a 2.5" USB hdd.

Ashen, zenloc, do you think the GC has enough power to support the Wode LCD backlight + USB hdd on the 5v line or do I risk blowing up the power supply?
bearteam

Post by bearteam » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:40 am

emu_kidid wrote:Tested it some more.. compatibility is 100%.. it's even playing things that the wiikey fusion couldn't (cross region/shrunk ISOs)! Wired it up just like a fusion (switch on 29 to go to gnd and NC), I don't even have a switch on 23/12 but the switch on 29 behaves like a lidswitch..

I had to plug one of the USB cables into an external power source to light up the Wode screen and power a 2.5" USB hdd.

Ashen, zenloc, do you think the GC has enough power to support the Wode LCD backlight + USB hdd on the 5v line or do I risk blowing up the power supply?
Awsome!
btw, I found another modchip named Wasp Fusion (Wasp 3), it's very similar to Wiikey Fusion. I don't know whether it is a clone of Wiikey Fusion or not.
Here is its site. http://www.wiiwasp.com/product.htm
KirovAir

Post by KirovAir » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:06 am

emu_kidid wrote:Tested it some more.. compatibility is 100%.. it's even playing things that the wiikey fusion couldn't (cross region/shrunk ISOs)! Wired it up just like a fusion (switch on 29 to go to gnd and NC), I don't even have a switch on 23/12 but the switch on 29 behaves like a lidswitch..

By the way, do you have any pictures? I love seeing those setups. :P
"The only thing more dangerous than a hardware guru with a code patch is a programmer with a soldering iron."
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:27 pm

Wow.... this really is awesome news. HDD DVD replacement ftw! I had an inkling it would work after we found out about the wiikey, but wasnt going to get my hopes up till confirmed. I wonder if it has the same IPL incompatibility issues... hmmm.
emu_kidid wrote:Ashen, zenloc, do you think the GC has enough power to support the Wode LCD backlight + USB hdd on the 5v line or do I risk blowing up the power supply?

It should be fine. I've got all kinds of stuff running off that 5v lead that isnt "supposed" to be there. As long as the amp draw isn't something crazy like 10+ amps on the 5v lead. Only one way to find out really! hehe, seriously though it should be fine.

Edit: Also the Wiikey Fusion does work with shrunk ISO's/Cross region games. Its stated right on the wiikey site that cross region compatibility is 70-80% or so. WBFS manager however does turn the shrunk .iso's back to 1.35gb :/
Abb_eliten

Post by Abb_eliten » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:28 pm

Great! :D

Yeah, some pics would be nice, like a size comparison with the Fusion
LOCtronicz

Post by LOCtronicz » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:12 pm

FANTASTIC Emu_kidid!!! HDD loading is even better! :mrgreen: All you now need is a small 1.8" or 2.5" hdd which has enough storage for all gamecube games and voila full game storage on the go.

Like Ashen said the 5v line should be no problem. I have connected plenty of things on it and it always worked. Would it be possible to set up the WODE with the lcd and after leave the lcd out. The lcd would not really be needed in a portable anyway.

You have the option of running the WODE through a gamecube selection menu right? How exactly are you loading the games now? Through the lcd or the WODE gamecube menu?

I'd also be interested in multidisc games. Can you swap the disc's? Can you even put 2 of the same game id games on one hdd.....

hmmm plenty of things to test. Lucky for me my WODE will be arriving in a couple of days so I should be able to test it aswell.

Pics and/or a video would be nice :roll:
Interested in more of my projects?? Check my facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001843721188

Or email me at loctronics@gmail.com with your request.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:15 pm

Good news:
Pin 29 switch isn't even needed! I power it up with it connected (to GND) and the wode knows how to behave :) I still have it connected though since it acts like an Eject button. I'll test 2 disc games later - see below for bad news :P

Bad news:
heh, lucky I didn't blow up this wode.. I had 5v and 12v wired swapped over all this time on the wode power connector!

Bad news is when I wired up the usb cable and powered the slave board (with 12V instead of 5v at the time!), I blew a component on it, but it should be easy to replace I hope. I've marked it in Green on this picture, could someone tell me if I can find a replacement for it on a GC mainboard (since I have a spare or two) or something. The slave board lights up with the proper 5v wired up even with this component blown but it won't detect HDD/SD (it does power them, just doesn't detect cause of this broken component).

Here's the picture of the blown component, can someone identify it? thanks in advance :)

Quick Pics!:
Oh and here's two quick pictures:

I will take more once I get the slave board fixed :)

P.S. Ashen, yes I meant that it'll keep them compressed of course, unlike the WBFS Manager which will inflate them to 1.35GB.

Sleep time for now though :)
Attachments
wodebad4.jpg
(189.34 KiB) Not downloaded yet
gcwode2.jpg
(139.48 KiB) Not downloaded yet
gcwode.jpg
(105.64 KiB) Not downloaded yet
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:17 pm

zenloc, I used the Wode lcd to pick games, but also the GC menu. I think if setup to boot the CFG (GC menu) by default and then saving the settings, you can get away without the slave board - but where would you wire up the hdd/etc ;)

I will get my dremel and make a nice space for the LCD to sit when I get some time :D
LOCtronicz

Post by LOCtronicz » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:25 pm

Do you wire the hdd to the slave board?? Damn! to bad that slave board is HUGH (overexagerating). Is the usb port where you connect the hdd to a direct link to the connector? or does it go into some circuitry before it is sent to the WODE chip?

Bummer about that little chip. I have no idea if that is available on the gc regulator. It most likely won't be easy to replace if you don't know what kind of specs it has.
Interested in more of my projects?? Check my facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001843721188

Or email me at loctronics@gmail.com with your request.
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:37 pm

Looks like that little thing may just be a fuse? You could try asking over on the official WODE forums. One of those guys should be able to tell you for sure.

Edit: The "D2" labeling may also indicate that the component is a Diode of some sort.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:38 pm

the slave (LCD) board simply has 5v that goes to it, the screen, a usb port, a sd slot and a few small components on it. there's no large IC on it since the board that goes in the GC/wii handles all that via the ribbon cable. hopefully someone has more info on that little chip.
liquitt

Post by liquitt » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:39 pm

this is fantastic!

epoch

Post by epoch » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:42 pm

emu_kidid wrote:zenloc, I used the Wode lcd to pick games, but also the GC menu. I think if setup to boot the CFG (GC menu) by default and then saving the settings, you can get away without the slave board - but where would you wire up the hdd/etc ;)

I will get my dremel and make a nice space for the LCD to sit when I get some time :D
i knew i should have waited to get the wiikey fusion another couple of days... :)

now, off to get a wode...
liquitt

Post by liquitt » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:05 pm

epoch wrote:
emu_kidid wrote:zenloc, I used the Wode lcd to pick games, but also the GC menu. I think if setup to boot the CFG (GC menu) by default and then saving the settings, you can get away without the slave board - but where would you wire up the hdd/etc ;)

i knew i should have waited to get the wiikey fusion another couple of days... :)

now, off to get a wode...
same here :)

Dragoon

Re: Wii DVD/Wiikey Fusion/WODE + GC Portable Discussion

Post by Dragoon » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:17 pm

This is awesome! I'm definitely going to put this in my portable :D
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:30 pm

I really feel the need to say that I damn the Sundriver all to hell. I would have spent A LOT less time pissing about had I ordered a WODE/Wiikey to begin with :/

On the brighter side though, the end result is the same! We now have many alternative options to the GC DVD drive which %#@!ing rocks! Can't believe this thread is now 50+ pages long. Who woulda thunk it. :D
Dragoon

Post by Dragoon » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:36 pm

Damn.. why is this wode so f-ing expensive!!! I can't afford it as a poor student...
Abb_eliten

Post by Abb_eliten » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:17 pm

Dragoon wrote:Damn.. why is this wode so f-ing expensive!!! I can't afford it as a poor student...
I know :/

I can't really decide which one of these I'll go with.

lower price, smaller size, less needed voltages VS better/cheaper storage options, better compability

I hope the Wiikey guys can get Luigi's Mansion to work properly (same freezing on my Wii aswell)
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:38 pm

Abb_eliten wrote:I hope the Wiikey guys can get Luigi's Mansion to work properly (same freezing on my Wii aswell)
Its good to know the problem is on both systems. Maybe the Wiikey guys will fix it in the future. Anyone sent any bug reports to the wiikey guys yet? Maybe I'll contact them.
Abb_eliten

Post by Abb_eliten » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:01 pm

I sent a message about it a couple of hours ago,
but the more reports the better.
epoch

Post by epoch » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:35 pm

Ashen wrote:The part that is the issue is the male connector for the GC DVD drive. If someone could find that connector with the pins attached I could easily solder up 100+ of them to an adapter board in a day or two.

Alas, the dvd connector is nowhere to be found. Therefor no solderless adapters.
does anyone has an idea of what that thing is called?
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:43 pm

Hmmmm... CN101????
epoch

Post by epoch » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:31 pm

Ashen wrote:Hmmmm... CN101????
that looks like the label for the connector, not the type/name of the connector ni question...

at mouser.com (a US distributor), CN101 doesn't come up with anything that looks like that connector at all...

:(