Wii DVD/Wiikey Fusion/WODE + GC Portable Discussion

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
Ashen

Re: Wii DVD/Wiikey Fusion/WODE + GC Portable Discussion

Post by Ashen » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:51 pm

All DOL-101's are compatible. :D
brunops3

Post by brunops3 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:57 pm

Thank you Ashen. Is there any difference on the soldering scheme of the DOL-001 model or is exactly the same for DOL-101 and DOL-001???
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:49 pm

Nope, no differences. Both models are exactly the same as far as the connections go.
brunops3

Post by brunops3 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:07 pm

Ashen, thank you again. So, could you respond two more questions?

1) I have Viper GC instaled on my GC. Should I remove it before install the Wiikey Fusion on GC???

2) Is possible to install the Wiikey Fusion without desconect/remove the DVD drive??? Can I use both Wiikey Fusion and DVD drive on GC???

Thank you so much.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:41 pm

I would remove the ViperGC for 2 reasons:
1. It'll try to patch the "drive" and it'll complain/fail
2. You can just take the bootable swiss.gcm to load homebrew or similar.
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:07 am

Zenloc tried a while back to connect a wii dvd drive in line with the wiikey and didn't have much luck if I recall correclty. Kel01 had (mostly) success doing the same with a WODE and original GC DVD drive, though the GC's original drive wouldn't load backups... I think.

Honestly not many people have tried it, its on my list of things to do when I'm super bored. But I don't know when I'll get to it. If you attempt it I'd try to keep the wires as short as possible as latency seems to be a real issue when trying stuff like this. Definitely let us know what the results are if you do try.
brunops3

Post by brunops3 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:50 am

Thank you emu_kidid and Ashen. So, I'll remove the Viper GC and the DVD drive. I guess I'll never use them after Wiikey Fusion instalation.
kel01

Post by kel01 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:13 am

I've tried the Wiikey on the same setup as I have my WODE running with the DVD drive connected but I haven't managed to get it to boot any discs yet. It seems to initialize the drive most of the time but then it gives an error on the Wiikey screen. I've been meaning to try it with the XenoGC disabled and also with a Wii drive connected but haven't had much spare time lately. I will try again soon and see if I can hopefully get it working somehow.
brunops3

Post by brunops3 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:53 pm

Thank you kel01. So, emu_kidid, Ashen, kel01, I saw that Viper GC instalation requires a solder bridge between two neighbouring contacts on the GC motherboard ("Connect Together" of the attached picture). To install Wiikey Fusion on my GC, after remove Viper GC should I break this bridge or there is no need???
ViperGC.png
(389.81 KiB) Not downloaded yet
pr0ton

Post by pr0ton » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:06 pm

Nope, just two ground connections. Somewhere else they are connected too, so :).
DOL-001&DOL-101 <- PAL
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:58 pm

You can choose to unbridge it, it's up to you. Basically it's a "connected" state for the modchip to be always "inserted" in the EXI slot.
brunops3

Post by brunops3 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:39 pm

Ok. Thank you pr0ton and emu_kidid.
brunops3

Post by brunops3 » Sun May 06, 2012 7:58 pm

Guys, I need help. I installed the Wiikey Fusion on my DOL-101 NTSC-USA Gamecube.

However, after play a few minutes, the game freezes. I already tested a lot of games and all of them are freezing after 3-15 minutes.

Could someone tell me what's going on?

Thx.
kel01

Post by kel01 » Sun May 06, 2012 8:48 pm

brunops3 wrote:Guys, I need help. I installed the Wiikey Fusion on my DOL-101 NTSC-USA Gamecube.

However, after play a few minutes, the game freezes. I already tested a lot of games and all of them are freezing after 3-15 minutes.

Could someone tell me what's going on?

Thx.
Check and then recheck all your connections for dry solder joints. Use an ohm meter and test past the connection each side of all wires including the FFC. They should all read roughly about the same ( very low, i.e. 0.2 ohms give or take ). If any connection reads higher than the others then resolder it and and test again.
brunops3

Post by brunops3 » Sun May 06, 2012 9:14 pm

Thank you kel01, I'll do that and report the results here.
JimmySummer

Post by JimmySummer » Tue May 08, 2012 2:44 pm

Hello everybody,

I will install a wiikey fusion on my GameCube.
I have a little question.
Is it really necessary to put a switch on pin 29 Wii?
Without switch the wiikey would it not constantly lit?
dilav

Post by dilav » Tue May 08, 2012 5:45 pm

JimmySummer wrote:Hello everybody,

I will install a wiikey fusion on my GameCube.
I have a little question.
Is it really necessary to put a switch on pin 29 Wii?
Without switch the wiikey would it not constantly lit?
You need a NC momentary switch to connect Wiikey 29 to GND, doesn't work if connected directly, and gives a error if not connected at all iirc. Using SPST to toggle between didn't work very well for me.

If you don't care about the multi disc game, you can skip out on the Wiikey pin 23 to GC pin 12 switch and connect them together.
JimmySummer

Post by JimmySummer » Tue May 08, 2012 9:45 pm

Thank you.
brunops3

Post by brunops3 » Thu May 31, 2012 2:51 am

Guys, I need help one more time. I had no luck installing Wiikey Fusion on my Gamecube (DOL-101 / rev C / NTSC-USA). First, after play a few minutes (3-15 minuts), the game freezes. Now, it loads only the first game on the SD card. If I choose any other game, it freezes.

I already check, re-check and re-re-check the connections and it doesn't works. Please, someone help me.
KirovAir

Post by KirovAir » Thu May 31, 2012 10:21 am

brunops3 wrote:Guys, I need help one more time. I had no luck installing Wiikey Fusion on my Gamecube (DOL-101 / rev C / NTSC-USA). First, after play a few minutes (3-15 minuts), the game freezes. Now, it loads only the first game on the SD card. If I choose any other game, it freezes.

I already check, re-check and re-re-check the connections and it doesn't works. Please, someone help me.
Sounds more like a SD card issue to me. Already tried a (re)format? Or another SD card?
"The only thing more dangerous than a hardware guru with a code patch is a programmer with a soldering iron."
brunops3

Post by brunops3 » Thu May 31, 2012 11:22 am

Yes, I already format, re-format and tried with 3 different SD cards (with different sizes and classes).
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:37 pm

Need pics of your work to help you anymore.
rogerz79

Post by rogerz79 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:47 am

i am new to this so there for im a noob and cant get the wiikey fusion to work on my gamecube. it feels like im missing a really simple step to get it working but for the life of me i cant get it to work, with this build the gamecube gives me an error as soon as i turn it on. the system was working fine before i opened it up. the wiikey fusion is also working as i tested it and updated it on my wii. im using the 36 pin adapter board and made sure the ribbon is all the way to the right. the region switch is set correctly. ive re soldered the connections about three times just to make sure they are properly connected. ive checked the pins enough times that ive memorized the pins. the gamecube board is compatible its a dol 001 (11). ive soldered all the ground pins to there own pins and bridged them on the back of the adapter board. only other thing i could tell you is the wii key fusion does flash red when i turn it on. ill include a picture of my so called gamecube and i really hope u can help me.
Attachments
IMAG0019.jpg
(828.02 KiB) Not downloaded yet
IMAG0017.jpg
(1.02 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:34 am

Can't tell much from your pics. Wires look a bit long to me. What happens when you press the "eject" button? Red light at boot either means you've got a misconnection or that no SD card is inserted.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:37 am

if you have a xeno, qoob, viper or other similar method to load homebrew, then confirm the IPL version of the cube
your dol-001 cpu-11 might have IPL version 1.0

if so, you will need to use another method to make the WKF work....
if your IPL is 1.1, then we can look at other possible issues for the setup not working properly...

first determine your IPL version
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image