Wii DVD/Wiikey Fusion/WODE + GC Portable Discussion

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
Abb_eliten

Re: Building a portable GC: Need options other than DVD

Post by Abb_eliten » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:32 pm

Great!!!

Hated by chippers, which makes D4s cheap(er), and that slimmed driver board is a bonus :P

Not much progress with my drive though
I might order a D3-2 board just to test, have also found a D4 for a pretty good price.
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:34 pm

The drive you are working with now abb, did you test it on a wii to make sure it works?
Abb_eliten

Post by Abb_eliten » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:48 pm

I did, and it worked perfectly

I really don't know what's wrong, I also tested the GC board some time ago, and it worked as well

Anyway, a D3-2 board is just under $10 shipped, so it won't hurt to try :)
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:53 pm

So... What better to do with a free afternoon and some brand new Wii disc drives? Start cutting them apart of course! :D :D :D

Semi slimmed Wii drive teaser video (please excuse my ghetto electrical tape holding the disc down, need to install top loading spindle still. Destroyed my PSone screen also, had to resort to video capture software on my netbook ><):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQuufqFvj5k
Attachments
DSCN0560.jpg
(115.06 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Post by 956229 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:36 am

Wiikey Fusion cant use fou you ?

chinese ngcer
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:39 am

956229 wrote:Wiikey Fusion cant use fou you ?

chinese ngcer
Still testing :D
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:41 am

Ashen, that looks great :) I've gotta take a soldering iron to a DOL-001 tonight ;)
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:55 am

Emu, forgot to mention. I sent 3.3v to pin 32 before i chopped those new drives up. No difference with the disc loading mech. It didnt hurt anything either though. 3.3v may be needed on this pin for chips like wiikey/wode/sundriver still.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:09 am

Ashen, I noticed that on the video it boots straight up from the GC menu, what's different about it now? Also, where'd you get those drives from? I'm interested in buying one :)
gtmtnbiker

Post by gtmtnbiker » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:50 pm

Ashen wrote:Emu, forgot to mention. I sent 3.3v to pin 32 before i chopped those new drives up. No difference with the disc loading mech. It didnt hurt anything either though. 3.3v may be needed on this pin for chips like wiikey/wode/sundriver still.
Is this because the Gamecube uses 12v or is it 5v? It would be simple to make a voltage divider circuit to get you 3.3v.
LOCtronicz

Post by LOCtronicz » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:22 pm

Oke I have some interesting news..... Last week I connected a NTSC DMS wiidrive to my NTSC DOL-11 gamecube. I soldered directly to the FFC cable and wired a discdrive connector from an old discdrive board I had laying around.

I got a couple of different modchips to play around with and have come to the following conclusions:

- Normally connected it will play all original NTSC games. They also direct boot. So I don't think it has anything to do with the discdrive revision but just the length of the wires.
- First generation WiiKey connected will allow me to play all original games from all regions but no backups. I was however able to boot a GCOS Wii gamecube collection disc a couple of times. However after the first 2 times I was able to boot it it no longer works.... When I booted it I was able to select the dvd drive. It than saw the wii drive correctly and booted it. Then the menu came up where I was able to select a game from the list. Once a game was selected I would get to the menu where you can select which video ouput you want to start the game in. At that screen it hung. I couldn't do anything.
- The SunKey drive chip did have some other results. I was able to boot the GCOS disc every time and select the video region. Once it rebooted it would just go back to the BOOT DVD menu of the GCOS disc. It won't however boot a normal backup and it will also not boot any original games from any region. Strange...

I'm gonna try a couple more things and make sure the chips are updated to the most recent version. The WiiKey Fusion is also going to be tested.

Here a couple of video's of my tests (still uploading the rest):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOmiJebsc7s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4E3xoiJ4fQ
Last edited by LOCtronicz on Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Interested in more of my projects?? Check my facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001843721188

Or email me at loctronics@gmail.com with your request.
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:00 pm

emu_kidid wrote:Ashen, I noticed that on the video it boots straight up from the GC menu, what's different about it now? Also, where'd you get those drives from? I'm interested in buying one :)
Not really sure what is different now besides the drive revision. The only thing I changed at all is the wire length. This new revision of the Wii drive seems much more prone to latency issues than my dms drive. As long as the game is in the drive before power on now it is autobooting them :) here's where I bought my drives from: http://crazydealguy.mybisi.com/product/ ... ntendo-wii you may be better off looking on e-bay first though. I saw some drives on there for $30ish.
gtmtnbiker wrote:
Ashen wrote:Emu, forgot to mention. I sent 3.3v to pin 32 before i chopped those new drives up. No difference with the disc loading mech. It didnt hurt anything either though. 3.3v may be needed on this pin for chips like wiikey/wode/sundriver still.
Is this because the Gamecube uses 12v or is it 5v? It would be simple to make a voltage divider circuit to get you 3.3v.
The original GC regulator outputs 1.9v, 3.3v, 5v and 12v :)

@ Zenloc, Very nice man! Thx for taking the time to help test some different modchips. I'm really really hoping we can get either the Wiikey Fusion or WODE working with this setup. Looking forward to that :)

Edit: Also I forgot to mention I did some reading on how "most" wii modchips work. From what I gather Wii chips execute some kind of exploit of the (video)dvd part of the Wii drive which was at first built in because Nintendo apparently originally was going to allow video dvd playback? In the newest revision of the drives nintendo has apparently removed this feature, which is why the D4(D3S) drives are now modchip incompatible. Somehow though the Wiikey fusion still works with loading games from an SD card though. Even with the new drives.
Abb_eliten

Post by Abb_eliten » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:52 pm

Maybe it has to do with that the wiikey fusion can completely emulate the drive, like the wode and sundriver
When loading isos from the SD card it doesn't need to communicate with the drive at all, and therefore doesn't need the exploit of older drives.

"The reason we have added a tick for "any future DVD drives" is because the Wiikey Fusion is a total DVD drive emulator. In fact, you can actually take your DVD drive out if you want, and just load games from the SD card"
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:07 pm

Abb_eliten wrote:Maybe it has to do with that the wiikey fusion can completely emulate the drive, like the wode and sundriver
When loading isos from the SD card it doesn't need to communicate with the drive at all, and therefore doesn't need the exploit of older drives.

"The reason we have added a tick for "any future DVD drives" is because the Wiikey Fusion is a total DVD drive emulator. In fact, you can actually take your DVD drive out if you want, and just load games from the SD card"
Yep, Lets keep our fingers crossed :)

On a side note, everything except my screens should be here today (batterys, case + extra Dol-001 GC I ordered) my audio amps + Wii drives have already arrived. My wife was in an accident the other day and her SUV is pretty biffed, everyone is O.K. which is the important part but we have a 500$ deductible insurance payment coming now and the day before that happened my Truck decided to start squirting out antifreeze from the water pump. Needless to say these are unexpected expenses I've run into so I may be waiting a bit to order anymore stuff (sundriver updater module, etc.) so for a bit here I'll just be working with what I have.

Edit: Also I've come to find out that "some" D2lites may be flashed with wiikey2 firmware. i'm going to be trying this when I get some time
LOCtronicz

Post by LOCtronicz » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:14 pm

Sorry to hear about your wife's accident. Insurance is always a pain when it comes to money. Hope everything get's sorted.

Added another video to my previous post. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4E3xoiJ4fQ

I'll be adding another in a bit. The WiiKey fusion is the next one to test. Let's hope it will work.........(crossing my fingers)

LOCtronicz

Post by LOCtronicz » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:33 pm

THE DISCOVERY OF THE CENTURY!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jht0PBJVTZE

Thanks to Ashen, Emu_Kidid and everybody else involved with this mod (including myself :-P)

Wiikey fusion updated to 1.5. WiiKey Fusion must be connect to 3.3v to work. That's what the 3.3v line is for on the discdrive pinout like Ashen said. Still some game testing to do. But both games in the video have been played for quite awhile and work 100%!!

ct_the_1

Post by ct_the_1 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:44 pm

congrats zenloc!

Time to get a wiikey fusion, i think :D
ct_the_1 (currently very busy and rarely online)

KirovAir

Post by KirovAir » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:34 pm

Great news!!
This should also give the games quite a boost on loading times. Epic work!
Edit:
Wow, it's really small. I'm considering trying this on one of my cubes. This mod should be very silent too I guess.
"The only thing more dangerous than a hardware guru with a code patch is a programmer with a soldering iron."
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:42 pm

Wow!!! Holy shiznit!!! This is faking wonderful. Awesome work Zen!!
LOCtronicz

Post by LOCtronicz » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:04 pm

Here's an old cut up gamecube board picture as size comparison.
All you need are the gamecube mobo, regulator, wiikey fusion and the sd card reader addon. I kid you not.... that makes things soooo tiny. All you need is a good cooling system for the cpu and gpu, connect a screen and controller and your set. Ofcourse batteries but that depends on the regulator you use.
Last edited by LOCtronicz on Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Abb_eliten

Post by Abb_eliten » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:07 pm

:O :O :O :O :O :O :O...so small....
wow
this is amazing... kudos to all of you guys! :D

edit: this thing is updateable via the SD reader, right? No separate programmer needed?
liquitt

Post by liquitt » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:32 pm

wow, that seriously amazing - awesome work :D
please search before you ask - a lot has been discussed already!
(or use google with "site:gc-forever.com *term*")
http://is.gd/MDmZcr

we also have a wiki filled with knowledge
http://is.gd/dX58Rm
LOCtronicz

Post by LOCtronicz » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:43 pm

Correct! Fully upgradedable via SD, no programmer, nothing extra needed!! Also note that that's my old cut up board. I've been able to make it much smaller on the controller port side. I'll be taking all those little components off to cut it even further when I have the time.

Also did some more testing and my NTSC cube wil not play PAL backups. Neither will my PAL play NTSC backups. There is a region switch on the fusion but when I flip it to the region of the game it comes up with cannot read disc (standard region error)

So it seems that it is region locked. But who really cares!! So for the dummies PAL cubes with fusion set to PAL only PAL backups. NTSC cubes with fusion set to NTSC only NTSC backups.

Ashen

Post by Ashen » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:04 pm

Yep, region of console only isn't really a big deal. This is epic enough! Thx again Zen for helping test! Gonna guess I'll be ordering some fusions :D :D :D

Once I get home I'll update the megaguide sticky. Somehow I think more than just portablizers will be doing this mod.
Abb_eliten

Post by Abb_eliten » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:06 pm

Great!

Ordered one right now :P

Is it the CPU 20 board which can be slimmed down more than others? Can't remember...