Wii DVD/Wiikey Fusion/WODE + GC Portable Discussion

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
Ashen

Re: Building a portable GC: Need options other than DVD

Post by Ashen » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:13 pm

Yay! sundriver's arrived today. Actually much faster shipping than I expected. Just waiting on cables to get here now. Hopefully they wont take long :)
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:48 am

Just a small update:

Took my Wii apart yet again to see if it would USB load games without the dvd drive hooked up (no go) so while I had it open I figured I'd try and deduce what exactly pin 31 does. Ended up with nothing. Its not reset or anything else obvious that I can tell with just a multimeter. Maybe it does nothing? Hopefully its not needed for what we're doing anyway.

Also since I will be testing soon I figure I should heatsink my naked cube again. Is there any reason Ninty used those weird gray pads under the heatsink for thermal transfer? Safe to toss em and use thermal paste?
liquitt

Post by liquitt » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:31 am

the grey pads nintendo used are quite thick! so be sure to have contact between processors and heatsink when using paste!!
please search before you ask - a lot has been discussed already!
(or use google with "site:gc-forever.com *term*")
http://is.gd/MDmZcr

we also have a wiki filled with knowledge
http://is.gd/dX58Rm
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:41 pm

just put a thick layer, should be ok (really cake it on).
KrzyInuYasha

Post by KrzyInuYasha » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:37 am

Or find some thing that is solid aluminium or copper that will work as a shim between the chips and heat sink. I recently just used a 1980 penny (full copper pennies were phased out in spring 1982) sanded smooth to act as a shim between the GPU and heat sink to fix a laptop for a friend.
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:51 pm

Quick update before I head to work. I got everything all wired up (after waiting forever for my ribbon cables to arrive). Everything works.... Kinda... The GC boots to normal screen when disc is not inserted and the sundriver initializes and mounts the hard drive. I am able to connect the sundriver to my PC via usb and upload the GC boot channel and games. The only catch however is that the GC acts like the disc cover is open at all times.... The DVD controller board is gone obviously so I cannot just "jump" those pins out. The elusive pin 31 gives an output of 1.3v coming from the sundriver... I'm thinking now that this is the Disc In signal for the Wii? (will test later). Since I have no idea where to connect this to the MB of the gamecube to tell it the disc cover is closed I am going to try wiring up my viper extreme to the board and see what happens when I set the viper to tell it the door is always closed. I wont get a chance till much later tonight though. Wish me luck!
yamaharacer

Post by yamaharacer » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:08 pm

i also have a viper gc extreme and when i have disconnect the drive board from my gamecube it doesnt boot on. it waits for the drive board all the time.

maybe there is a option to disable this but I dont think so.

On my other cube with qoob pro this problem doesnt exist.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:57 pm

Ashen, I have a feeling that we've mixed up the lid stuff perhaps. Also, did you wire up 5v and 12v to the other connector? I'm curious where you grabbed the power from. I've 80% wired up also.
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:24 pm

Emu, I've been wrong before but I'm pretty sure we have all the pins correct. I tested the GC pins 12 and 14 (disc in) from the GC and the Wii (cant remember matching wii pins iff the top of my head) mainboards and on both the outputs were constant 3.3v FROM both MB's. Pin 31 I am still only guessing what it does but i can say after having everything else wired up i get 1.3v output FROM the sundriver from this pin. I grabbed power for all of the sundriver (3.4v, 5v and 12v) straight from the GC power regulator board. I also supplied the sundriver with 3.4v on pins 32 and 30 as it seems to need this. I'll post some pics later when i get home.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:26 pm

Awesome, thanks a bunch. So close, yet so far :p I can ask around a few people in the meantime.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:31 pm

Oh and by the way, the ViperGC Extreme / Cobra BIOS tell it that the lid is shut via a pass-thru cable which you will have nowhere to connect to?
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:05 pm

I think it may be via a bios hack. If not my effort later tonight will be a wasted one.

Also the reason i believe that its just missing the lid closed signal is that i get the "please insert disc" msg when i go to gameplay or w/e and not the "no disc" msg.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:12 pm

Yes, that would make sense. I don't think it's a hack to the IPL (bios) because then each game would also need patching. I think it simply overrides (with voltage) the lid switch. an option would be to check pins on the 32 pin connector whilst a Gamecube is running in the bios and to see which pins change voltage when the lid switch is triggered?
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:22 pm

Well. I disconnected my viper chip from my 2nd cube today and even afterwards it still thinks the lid is closed all the time ;)
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:29 pm

Did you do it after the game had booted? It's possible it overrides it in the DVD Drive patch code that it uploads.
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:50 pm

I turned it on with the lid open just to see. The red laser came on and looked around then it just said no disc. This is why i figured i'd try. If i hook it up and apply w/e patch it does. I can probably just disconnect it and put it back in my other cube again.

I may also be mistaken. I didnt have alot of time before work today. More on this when i get home.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:02 am

I'm pretty sure the patch is to the DVD drive in that case, not much we can do from there :(
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:22 am

Now that I'm home for a bit I've gotten to do a bit more testing. The GC is actually toggling between the "please insert a nintendo gamecube disc" and "reading disc" message when I go to the "gameplay" tab. I will install my viper tomorrow and see what happens I guess. It seems now like it knows something is there but it just wont boot it. Maybe the viper will fix this?

Attachments
DSCN0443.jpg
(165.51 KiB) Not downloaded yet
liquitt

Post by liquitt » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:51 am

nice setup there :) keep us posted!

emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:06 am

That's pretty awesome.. I'm going to wire it up tonight! (even if I'm up all night :D)
doktor_krotch

Post by doktor_krotch » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:30 am

This is off the chain!
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:57 pm

So I wired mine up, power up the GC and I get nothing, just a black screen - hopefully the GC I wired it up to wasn't dead before..

The Sundriver does power on the blue LED about 2 seconds in and it lasts for about 5-10 seconds before turning off. Haven't tried to connect it to a PC yet, but the hdd attached does not spin up when connected to the GC. I don't think I've wired up the power connector on the Sundriver correctly, it seems the pins that want 12V are also bridged with the ones that want 5V so I only wired up the 5V and left it at that. I'm calling it a night for now.
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:15 pm

Emu,

First thing is to make sure that all the switches on your sundriver are set AWAY from the LED. If even one of them is out of position I get a black screen when I power on my GC.

This is how I wired up my power:

Looking at the board like in my picture I have marked where I have 12v wired, from there it goes:

(12 pins)

12v
12v
gnd
gnd
5v
5v
gnd
gnd
3.4v
3.4v
gnd
gnd

Of course I just bridged all like connections together for ease of soldering.

Here is a pinout of the GC regulator board and its outputs for reference:

Hope this helps ^_^
Attachments
Capture-4.jpg
(37.16 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Capture2-1.jpg
(69.31 KiB) Not downloaded yet
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:53 pm

yep that makes perfect sense, I never tried all switches in one direction :P

Also, I'm using a DOL-101 so I've just randomly taken the 3.3V from the EXI bus and the 5V from pin 2 of the DVD connector. 12v I'll take straight from near the fan someplace.

I'm a bit worried cause I didn't wire up the 12v yet, but I checked that spot with a multimeter and it was getting 5v already?

Almost there, I'll have to post up pictures of my monstrosity later on. I wish I'd wired it up like you with the flex cable and not by removing the connector :p
liquitt

Post by liquitt » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:34 pm

emu_kidid wrote:Almost there, I'll have to post up pictures of my monstrosity later on.
yes please :D