Wii DVD/Wiikey Fusion/WODE + GC Portable Discussion

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Building a portable GC: Need options other than DVD

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:31 am

that picture is confusing to me since I used the HOST pin you've labelled as 1 as 32.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:47 am

The good news about the Wiikey Fusion is that the region forcing is just broken that's all, if I figure out how to interface Swiss with it we'll be golden :)
bearteam

Post by bearteam » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:51 am

emu_kidid wrote:that picture is confusing to me since I used the HOST pin you've labelled as 1 as 32.
Sorry, my mistake. alreay fixed it.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:04 am

I've asked the Wiikey guys for a bit of info on how to read the SD card from the GC (DI commands) so hopefully I can add it to Swiss one day.
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:28 am

Thx bearteam, I will copy your pic of the fusion and replace mine in the megaguide when I get home. I'll akso update pin29 to gnd thing with the fusion.
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:35 am

"prototype" case design. Still very rough around the edges and needs some love. But you get the jist. Its probably going to be a bit thicker than I wanted unless I change my plans to 7.4v Lithium Ion batterys with zenlocs custom regulator. 1.5" max I figure. Still working it all out ;)
bearteam

Post by bearteam » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:50 am

There is a problem always bothering me. When I press the switch between the PIN29 and GND, the GC will freeze and I have to power down the GC. After the reboot, the LED light on Wiikey fusion will flash once, then I need to do nothing and I can see that the GC-Linux Disk is already inserted. Why the GC freeze when I disconncet the GND and PIN29?
And there's another problem. Most of my GC ISO(they are all NTSC games, including NTSC-J and NTSC-U,I downloaded them from thepurplecube and snesorama) could not run via wiikey fusion on my GC(NTSC-J,DOL-001) , they all freeze at GC logo, and only very few games could run.
Both Resident Evil 2(NTSC-U) and Biohazard 2(NTSC-J) could run on my Japanese GC. They are from different region, it's strange that they all could run on a Japanese GC.
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:26 am

Sounds like maybe your "eject" switch may be wired wrong. The type of normally open/normally closed switch can be wired different ways. The way i had it wired to get the wii dvd drive working is pin29 input pin always connected to
gnd until switch is pressed, then it receives the 1.9v i'd check my connections to make sure you're not sending 1.9v to your GC ground or anything. Some people are saying that the 1.9v isnt even needed for the wiikey. Like i said. Double check your switch wiring :)
bearteam

Post by bearteam » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:37 am

Ashen wrote:Sounds like maybe your "eject" switch may be wired wrong. The type of normally open/normally closed switch can be wired different ways. The way i had it wired to get the wii dvd drive working is pin29 input pin always connected to
gnd until switch is pressed, then it receives the 1.9v i'd check my connections to make sure you're not sending 1.9v to your GC ground or anything. Some people are saying that the 1.9v isnt even needed for the wiikey. Like i said. Double check your switch wiring :)
I just talked to another player in China, he has the same problems as mine. Our GC all freeze if we press the switch. I have checked the way I wired the lines many times and I am sure they are wired correctly.
We both find the compatibility is bad, many games could not run via Wiikey Fusion.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:59 am

the DVD reset occurs too quick compared to what the fusion expects. This is also why we can't just leave it wired to GND from the beginning
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:38 pm

That's really odd bearteam, Are the dip switch settings on the fusion set to your specific region? http://www.wiikey.com/en/support/wiikey ... tallation/

Maybe do like emu_kidid and abb said and just have a switch that only activates pin 29 to gnd when pressed? ditch the 1.9v altogether? I cant really test as my wiikeys are still not here as foundmy is STILL screwing around...

I dunno what else it could be except that the .iso rips are bad or modified? :/
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:35 pm

Just to make sure I've been absolutely clear on how I have my eject switch wired here is a pic:

If you are using the same type of switch that I have it is marked on the side of the switch which pins are "common" "normally open" and "normally closed" The common (C) pin should be run to pin 29 of the wiikey connector, the normally closed (NC) pin should be run to the GC motherboard ground and the normally open (NO) pin should go to 1.9v line from the GC regulator.

just in case :)
Hells Guardian

Post by Hells Guardian » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:18 pm

Nice So you guy's are managing to adapt a wiikey to a GC?
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:04 pm

Hells Guardian wrote:Nice So you guy's are managing to adapt a wiikey to a GC?
Pretty much the jist of it yes, wiikey fusion works with the GC. For those who havent been keeping up. :)
Hells Guardian

Post by Hells Guardian » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:19 pm

That's Just excellent. Doesn't the Wiikey have a built in SD interface? That would be perfect for making a portable system as long as the software to support it is made.
KirovAir

Post by KirovAir » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:21 pm

Hells Guardian wrote:That's Just excellent. Doesn't the Wiikey have a built in SD interface? That would be perfect for making a portable system as long as the software to support it is made.
Which was the whole point of replacing the drive. :)
And yes, that progress is already been made.
"The only thing more dangerous than a hardware guru with a code patch is a programmer with a soldering iron."
Hells Guardian

Post by Hells Guardian » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:24 pm

Grand I can't wait to see pics and video of a functional prototype.
Tchay

Post by Tchay » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:32 pm

bearteam wrote: We both find the compatibility is bad, many games could not run via Wiikey Fusion.
Ashen, do you know what the problem is with compatibility??? Before I commit to the Wiikey Fusion, I wanted to make sure it could run all GC games.
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:49 pm

So far the only problems reported have been with ntsc-j consoles. The problems they are having may just be something silly, bad wiring/miswiring/bad iso images etc. I'll post my results when i get my wiikeys. Foundmy has finally updated my order status. I have about 100 or so games i can test.
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:03 pm

Also, i've noticed posted on a few sites now warning of wiikey fusion clones floating around china. Please make sure what you're buying is genuine wiikey before reporting problems. Bearteam can you confirm your wiikey is legit?
Abb_eliten

Post by Abb_eliten » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:01 pm

That case is looking good!

Bearteam:

The first time I tried the Fusion it froze at the boot animation after selecting a game.
Turned out to be a bad connection between pin 29 and ground. Maybe there's something wrong with your switch?
If you've got more of them you could replace it and see if that works.
bearteam

Post by bearteam » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:10 am

Ashen wrote:Also, i've noticed posted on a few sites now warning of wiikey fusion clones floating around china. Please make sure what you're buying is genuine wiikey before reporting problems. Bearteam can you confirm your wiikey is legit?
My Wiikey fusion must be genuine becasuse every wiikey fusion has a exclusive serial number which could be checked on wiikey site. And about freezing, now I get to know how to avoid it. Disconnect GND and Pin29 before you power on the GC. After the boot, connect GND and Pin29, then you will see a flash on wiikey fusion. That means OK and you can start wiikey loader though you wii see a "?" on the screen.
bearteam

Post by bearteam » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:12 am

Abb_eliten wrote:That case is looking good!

Bearteam:

The first time I tried the Fusion it froze at the boot animation after selecting a game.
Turned out to be a bad connection between pin 29 and ground. Maybe there's something wrong with your switch?
If you've got more of them you could replace it and see if that works.
I changed several switch and they all act same.
bearteam

Post by bearteam » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:16 am

I wired the lines the same as you indicated. :)
Dragoon

Post by Dragoon » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:02 am

Abb_eliten wrote:
Dragoon wrote:That's the crazynation DI(N)Y GC HDD project :D

Edit: BTW is buyfromtaobao.com a ripoff? because 180 yen = €1,57 and they charge me €28,62...
Could it be Chinese yuan instead of yen?

180 yuan is around €20.

Got my Fusion today. Works perfectly :D

Don't know if you already know this,
but I noticed you actually don't need to feed pin 29 with 1.9 volts to get the Fusion to load the bootloader.

Just a switch between pin 29 and ground is enough

Only with Fusion, that is
Yeah, I noticed a very weird thing on that site, they say yuan with a yen symbol (¥).
Have you ordered anything from there? I want to know if it is yuan or yen, because that makes a great difference :p