Need help to install a WASP (WiiKEY Clone) into a gamecube

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
twistytree11

Need help to install a WASP (WiiKEY Clone) into a gamecube

Post by twistytree11 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:25 am

So I bought a WASP thinking i could install but sadly i was mistaken. I want to replace the dvd on my Gamecube and put this in to eliminate using discs. I am completely lost on what i need and i was wondering if anyone has a tutorial. I would like to make this procedure as easy as possible, so any attachments that save me soldering would be a plus. I have spent hours trying to find a clear guide.
novenary

Re: Need help to install a WASP (WiiKEY Clone) into a gamecube

Post by novenary » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:24 am

Get a megadrive v3 from badassconsoles.com, it's the easiest way.
twistytree11

Post by twistytree11 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:36 am

Streetwalker wrote:Get a megadrive v3 from badassconsoles.com, it's the easiest way.

I go to the site and click on mega drive but nothing is there. Anywhere else i can get that?
novenary

Post by novenary » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:27 pm

It's the only place. Just wait a week or two for megalomaniac to put them back on sale, he's busy with other projects atm.
byonddrivn

Post by byonddrivn » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:48 pm

I'm having the same issue. I bought a Wasp Key for use in my GameCube and received it today. I've been looking at install guides and thought it was solderless but I keep reading about soldering pin 29 or power or ground. The YouTube videos I see make it look like you just have to plug it in. I also looked at the Megadrive by couldn't find one to purchase so I went with the Wasp. Going to pop open my GameCube tonight and look at it closer. I don't have a problem with soldering it's just that I'm not that great at it and have done a couple of other mods recently and wanted something a little easier for this.
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:59 am

byonddrivn wrote:I'm having the same issue. I bought a Wasp Key for use in my GameCube and received it today. I've been looking at install guides and thought it was solderless but I keep reading about soldering pin 29 or power or ground. The YouTube videos I see make it look like you just have to plug it in. I also looked at the Megadrive by couldn't find one to purchase so I went with the Wasp. Going to pop open my GameCube tonight and look at it closer. I don't have a problem with soldering it's just that I'm not that great at it and have done a couple of other mods recently and wanted something a little easier for this.
If your not going to use a megadrive your going to have a hard time installing it into the cube. You have a few other options you could solder wires right to the FFC cable which in my opinion is insanely hard with 0.5mm pitch or you could completely remove the FFC connector from the wasp and solder to the pads where the connector was sitting I find this a little easier but if you mess up you destroy the wasp. Then there are generic adapters 36 pin that are the easiest way besides megadrive and would probably hold up better then the options above but the cheapest megadrive is the V5 and at 15usd you might as well go with that since the generic adapters are 10usd. If you were looking for plug and play connection out of the box Im sorry but the wasp/wiikey was designed for wii not gamecube so soldering must be done.
tmp_1108-IMG_20140627_2149191885356388.jpg
(1.44 MiB) Not downloaded yet
I added a photo of my first V5 install to give you an idea of what needs to be done
novenary

Post by novenary » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:56 am

V3 is more expensive ($50) but plug and play except for a couple of big solder points
Duhasst0

Post by Duhasst0 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:13 pm

Yeah version 3 is more user friendly, but you loose your disc drive without further case modding, but if you already mod stuff that shouldn't be an issue.
byonddrivn

Post by byonddrivn » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:37 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. I do have a Wii so maybe I'll throw the WASP in there. I have a spare GameCube and that's why I was looking at setting it up. It sounds like from an earlier post that the megadrive will eventually be back in stock so I'll keep an eye out for it.

Is the installation the only difference between the V3 and V5 or are there different features?
byonddrivn

Post by byonddrivn » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:39 pm

Ahh, I didn't hit submit at first but it looks like you answered my question. Don't care if I lose the disc drive, it's a backup unit plus I have my Wii.
byonddrivn

Post by byonddrivn » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:47 pm

Another thought just struck me. I know there's been a lot of down talk of the Wii Mini but does the WASP work on that system as well. Maybe no one has tried it yet, just curious.
novenary

Post by novenary » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:36 pm

I think it won't work on the Wii mini since that has a different DVD connector iirc.
To retain the DVD drive on GC the only option is megadrive v4 which is a complete DVD drive with a built-in WASP. V5 doesn't let you use a DVD drive at all since it requires removal of the DVD drive connector. V6 is harder to solder.
byonddrivn

Post by byonddrivn » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:05 pm

So just to revive this a little, I picked up an extra Wii for $20, it has 4.2U on it. I then installed the WASP. I left WiiKey v1.4 on it and threw a few GC & Wii games on a SD card and all seems good. I tried burning a Wii game (.iso) with ImgBurn on Verbatim DVD discs at 4x and the Wii asks me to insert a disc. It sounds like the WASP should let me play backups. What am I missing?

Please keep in mind most of my modding is done on cart based systems (generally old ones like Atari & Coleco) so the DVD drive stuff is new to me.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:42 am

not to familiar with wii functionality but try booting wii with no SD card in the slot
insert disk and then press the eject button...

if that doesnt work, boot into the WKF menu, remove the SD card and insert a disc.....
there is some weird pattern of events with 1.4 and 1.5 to make the disc work and i dont remember exactly which way is the correct method....if all else fails try loading firmware 1.3 just for testing...you should have no issues with direct DVD loading as long as the SD card is pulled out...

i say try 1.3 just for testing since 1.4 and 1.5 have some updates which you might need....or 1.3 might work just find for you with no issues....give it a try and see what happens...
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
byonddrivn

Post by byonddrivn » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:57 am

megalomaniac wrote: i say try 1.3 just for testing since 1.4 and 1.5 have some updates which you might need....or 1.3 might work just find for you with no issues....give it a try and see what happens...
Thanks.
For some reason I thought there was something goofy with GameCube support with 1.3 but I'll try it.
With no SD card it doesn't read. With SD card it won't load a disc even if I pull the card, I assume it's because it thinks there's still a disc loaded.
I can't remember if I tried combinations with the eject button.
Most of the games I'm interested in playing (GC and WII) I can play on discs I own, it's just the rares that I'd like to play backups of and most of those I can fit on a 32GB card.
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:36 am

byonddrivn wrote:
megalomaniac wrote: i say try 1.3 just for testing since 1.4 and 1.5 have some updates which you might need....or 1.3 might work just find for you with no issues....give it a try and see what happens...
Thanks.
For some reason I thought there was something goofy with GameCube support with 1.3 but I'll try it.
With no SD card it doesn't read. With SD card it won't load a disc even if I pull the card, I assume it's because it thinks there's still a disc loaded.
I can't remember if I tried combinations with the eject button.
Most of the games I'm interested in playing (GC and WII) I can play on discs I own, it's just the rares that I'd like to play backups of and most of those I can fit on a 32GB card.
Before i got my wode i was using the wasp fusion in my wii. Simple answer you cant play backups on dvd with wasp fusion I have tried everything to get it to work but for some reason it wont patch the dvd drive to play the burned copy. Wode on the other hand works just fine in flat mode to play backups on disc.

But thanks to softmods hope isnt lost. Just hack the wii install homebrew channel and then use neogamma or something similar to get burned discs running. Now if you have one of the newer disc drives in your wii your not going to be able to run anything burned. Just google everything and try to see what drive you have then you will know if burned discs can be an option for you. But really you can run almost every game with the wasp though sd card so...
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:52 am

WASP does patch the drive to play burned discs.....

http://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.ph ... n#Firmware
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving

Image Image Image
byonddrivn

Post by byonddrivn » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:28 pm

Ok so call me dumb or mutter it at least but I see there's a v1.5, it says "This update should fix the problem loading DVD backups." but next to it it says "DVD Direct Boot NOT Supported". What the hell is the difference?

Also, I read a lot of this stuff a few weeks ago so I'll look at it again soon but I thought I had to burn a disc to update the WiiKey software. How can it be updated if the Wii won't see the disc? Do I update it on my PC through the SD card?
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:20 pm

DVD direct boot = power on wii with no SD card is wkf slot and DVD in the drive
the DVD will automatically be preloaded into the wii disc menu

1.4 and 1.5 do not support this and require some combination of pressing the eject button....
i think you need to have the card in the slot initially go into WKF menu. Remove the sd card and insert a DVD disc and somewhere in that process you need to press pin29 (eject)

like i said...just try v1.3 for starters to make sure everything is connected proper to all the way to the drive...
then you can either stay on 1.3 or upgrade and figure out how to use v1.4 / v1.5

Image Image Image
byonddrivn

Post by byonddrivn » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:21 am

Finally had time to revisit the WASP this weekend. I can't seem to find v1.3 for download. The only version I can find is 1.5 and I tried that but get random times when there's some static sound from a few GC games and still no disc loading. I can't even find v1.4 to go back to now.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:21 am

Image Image Image
byonddrivn

Post by byonddrivn » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:03 pm

Dammit, I looked on here too, didn't see it.
Thanks!
byonddrivn

Post by byonddrivn » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:08 am

No dice on v1.3. Disc still won't load. I tried it with the card out and it said insert disc. I tried it with the disc in and it wouldn't load a disc to the drive. I tried loading a disc without the card and then inserted the card and hit reset and it didn't see a disc either. Have I done a bad install maybe? The disc spins when inserted but it won't recognize it.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:10 am

using original disc only right?
WASP cannot patch the GC DVD drive

hmmmm.....see if swiss can read the DVD...

Image Image Image
byonddrivn

Post by byonddrivn » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:19 am

Thanks for the ideas. I tried a backup, thought WASP would let me use that, will move on to an original disc. Haven't tried Swiss cuz of the 4GB limit with Wii games.

I'll play with it more in the next couple days, sorting out some bad ISOs on a Saturn I just modded now.