Modding the component cable

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
Xaranar

Modding the component cable

Post by Xaranar » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:56 am

So I have a D-Terminal cable for my cube (same as component, different connector) and I've read that it's possible to mod this to output an RGB signal as opposed to YPbPr. My question is, if you perform the RGB mod and attach a SCART connector to the end instead, does it retain the ability to output 480p? Or is that only possible over component/D? Has anyone done this and knows from experience?

Thanks.
badsector

Re: Modding the component cable

Post by badsector » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:32 am

Normally this is not possible, no TV will directly accept 31kHz as far as I know. Maybe the Framemeister can do that. At least it accepts 480p over Scart coming from a Toro Box for the Dreamcast.
Xaranar

Post by Xaranar » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:06 am

badsector wrote:Normally this is not possible, no TV will directly accept 31kHz as far as I know. Maybe the Framemeister can do that. At least it accepts 480p over Scart coming from a Toro Box for the Dreamcast.
That's what I wondered, as I had read the Toro box can output 480p over SCART. I do run my GC through a Framemeister, but ideally I'd like to know definitively before I attempt to carve up an expensive D-Terminal cable.
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:17 am

Xaranar wrote:
badsector wrote:Normally this is not possible, no TV will directly accept 31kHz as far as I know. Maybe the Framemeister can do that. At least it accepts 480p over Scart coming from a Toro Box for the Dreamcast.
That's what I wondered, as I had read the Toro box can output 480p over SCART. I do run my GC through a Framemeister, but ideally I'd like to know definitively before I attempt to carve up an expensive D-Terminal cable.
The MX component chip CAN output 480p and 576p over SCART. We here in the US don't have SCART but from what I read and seen it's a beast RGB, H-sync, V-sync, C-sync, and analog audio all in one connector too bad I can't test my GCvideo-lite with it I'm using VGA right now and I run into a lot of problems with games that don't support 480p
Xaranar

Post by Xaranar » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:30 am

andre104623 wrote:
Xaranar wrote:
The MX component chip CAN output 480p and 576p over SCART. We here in the US don't have SCART but from what I read and seen it's a beast RGB, H-sync, V-sync, C-sync, and analog audio all in one connector too bad I can't test my GCvideo-lite with it I'm using VGA right now and I run into a lot of problems with games that don't support 480p
Here in the UK, we did get SCART, and I can confirm that is a beast, way better than the awful composite and S-Video you were limited to across the pond. Having said that, if you have a Framemeister then you can make full use of SCART, you just need a EuroSCART to Framemeister adapter as the one that comes with it is wired for JP21, which looks identical but wired differently. Anyway, I digress. Thanks for the info, do you know of anyone that has actually done this?
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:45 pm

To be fair I do know it supports 480p and 576p but for what your asking I would contact emu-kidd since he has done this mod maybe more then once. So he would know for sure I have never even seen one in person but since it supports H-sync, and V-sync I would say most likely yes it can. But saying it can't do 480p is crazy since people go out of there way to make these cables with component chip. But if you want some good advice don't tare up that 300usd cable and wait for GCvideo if I were you I would sell it. There going for huge prices on ebay right now. When people find out that there is a cheap, better way to enable 480p/576p then I don't think I need to tell you about supply and demand mostly the demand part. Once there is a enduser-friendly version that doesn't need soldering then well I think we might see the real cable drop in price big time. I have almost 1500 views on my GCvideo-DVI version youtube review so there's a lot of people that know of it now and if they were thinking of buying the component cable there not now since the shuriken video is $25. Which reminds me to do part 3 of my review which will have a re-review of a (working) Pluto 2x HDMI and GCvideo-lite 0.9.

Think of this for a moment...If you sell your component cable for 250-300 and mega comes out with his version for 50-75 you could buy 4-6 GCvideo-mega boards that will have audio over HDMI working and OSD that you can set Framemeister