About to start a GC Portable Build! NEED HELP!

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
spiderpup

About to start a GC Portable Build! NEED HELP!

Post by spiderpup » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:57 am

I'm starting to learn electronics, and thought this would be an excellent personal Project. I've been watching some video tutorials on Yotube but none of them are complete, and also many of them are different one of each other. I'm requesting your help my fellow companions, advice, any step-by-step explanation, visuals, diagrams, anything that could help me get to my goal. I've found in this same page some 3D diagrams for the case to print on a 3D printer, and I'm in the process of getting all the material required to make this posible. Thanks in advance for your help!
megalomaniac

Re: About to start a GC Portable Build! NEED HELP!

Post by megalomaniac » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:03 am

spiderpup wrote:I'm starting to learn electronics, and thought this would be an excellent personal Project.
read this:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3051
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:15 am

spiderpup wrote:I'm starting to learn electronics, and thought this would be an excellent personal Project. I've been watching some video tutorials on Yotube but none of them are complete, and also many of them are different one of each other. I'm requesting your help my fellow companions, advice, any step-by-step explanation, visuals, diagrams, anything that could help me get to my goal. I've found in this same page some 3D diagrams for the case to print on a 3D printer, and I'm in the process of getting all the material required to make this posible. Thanks in advance for your help!
Building a gamecube portable as a first project is insane. You need to start small and simple like a PCB project go here https://oshpark.com/shared_projects. There are thousands of PCBs to chose from that you can build ranging from simple to very hard. There are even projects on there for gamecube that you can build but most of them needs to be flashed using a programmer. You can build your own programmer if your PC has a LPT or serial port.

But really a gamecube portable is very hard to build if anything try an older easier console to make into a portable like a NES or SNES or even a N64. I myself is in the process of building a gamecube portable that I'm calling 3DGC and I'm having a tough time with it understanding how everything will work but I'm getting there. I just took a break for a little bit to build some GCvideo boards for myself and a few other people that asked me to build for them. I'm also building streetwalker's "Yet another USB gecko clone" I just put the custom power regs together today I'll see if I did a good job tomorrow.
spiderpup

Post by spiderpup » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:57 pm

megalomaniac wrote:
spiderpup wrote:I'm starting to learn electronics, and thought this would be an excellent personal Project.
read this:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3051
Thanks for the tips! I already know about all that stuff, maybe not as deep as most of you guys but I understand what has to be done :) I really just need some advice on what materials and tools I may need, what I can rip off the mother board to make it smaller, and where to connect everything :)
Last edited by spiderpup on Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spiderpup

Post by spiderpup » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:02 pm

andre104623 wrote:
spiderpup wrote:I'm starting to learn electronics, and thought this would be an excellent personal Project. I've been watching some video tutorials on Yotube but none of them are complete, and also many of them are different one of each other. I'm requesting your help my fellow companions, advice, any step-by-step explanation, visuals, diagrams, anything that could help me get to my goal. I've found in this same page some 3D diagrams for the case to print on a 3D printer, and I'm in the process of getting all the material required to make this posible. Thanks in advance for your help!
Building a gamecube portable as a first project is insane. You need to start small and simple like a PCB project go here https://oshpark.com/shared_projects. There are thousands of PCBs to chose from that you can build ranging from simple to very hard. There are even projects on there for gamecube that you can build but most of them needs to be flashed using a programmer. You can build your own programmer if your PC has a LPT or serial port.

But really a gamecube portable is very hard to build if anything try an older easier console to make into a portable like a NES or SNES or even a N64. I myself is in the process of building a gamecube portable that I'm calling 3DGC and I'm having a tough time with it understanding how everything will work but I'm getting there. I just took a break for a little bit to build some GCvideo boards for myself and a few other people that asked me to build for them. I'm also building streetwalker's "Yet another USB gecko clone" I just put the custom power regs together today I'll see if I did a good job tomorrow.
Thanks a lot for the reply! I was thinking on doing a N64 portable before jumping into the GC one, but I looked through some tutorials on the GC one and I think I can make it! I know I might be aiming very high on this Project but what would be life without challenges? Hehe. I know about programming, have some Arduinos myself, and also had worked on protoboards. I need help on the connecting part, making it smaller and the components I need to add and where :) I would really appreciate if you could share some of your knowledge with me! Thanks in advance :)
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:31 am

if you are hellbent on making GC portable your first project and if you want a better chance for success, then make your first one with no board trim

you will get the practice you need of wiring everything together without worrying about chasing down a little sliver of trace shorting the entire board as it can sometimes happen which drives inexperienced people insane
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image