DVD Drive Emulator Question

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
Syntax

Re: DVD Drive Emulator Question

Post by Syntax » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:32 pm

double post
Last edited by Syntax on Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Syntax

Post by Syntax » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:36 pm

meneerbeer wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:49 pm
It is a nice idea and I have considered it. However, the amount of interested people for this seems so low that it is probably not worth it for us. Sorry.
Wait for those first 500 units to sell then see what happens when word of mouth gets out, I bet they will be popular.

Wode and Wasp can pass through(Dan has already designed QSB for this purpose)

Wode accepts USB hard drives and a SD card at the same time.

The entire set of GC will not fit on a SD card but will fit on a HDD, likewise for Wii games if anyone were to fit this to a Wii or if the project branched that way in the future.

Limiting the system to SD is a bit silly IMO.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:36 pm

The entire set (America + Europe + Japan + Korea, all revisions) could fit on a 2 TB SD card when shrunk with NKit.

If you want unlimited storage, use the Broadband Adapter.
moghingold

Post by moghingold » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:53 pm

Will games loaded over the BBA while this ODE is installed get the benefit of this ODE's compatibility and audio streaming? I'm guessing not, unless it has ~2-16gib of on-board flash that it loads the active game(s) into.

Also I thought Citrus3000psi said Wii would be compatible in the Classic Gaming discord. Is it just the flex cable that's specific to the GameCube?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:43 pm

I'm hoping to get streaming audio working with the Broadband Adapter.
CCode42

Post by CCode42 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:04 pm

Its sooo close I cant wait! I hope its out by years end! First the digital snes sound mod now this. so happy with this year
silvernutter

Post by silvernutter » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:38 pm

Thanks so much for this meneerbeer, this is a dream come true for me. Going to buy one as soon as they drop.
parski

Post by parski » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:29 pm

Has GCODE been considered? If the MiSTer can do LL Cool Joy the Gamecube could easily pull off it's own CRT era hip hop homage.
ssbmoro

Post by ssbmoro » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:08 pm

Sorry for what is probably a very ignorant question, but I am new to this forum and this topic. What's the difference between this optical disc emulator and the SD2SP2 that was also just recently announced? I understand that both can be used to load backups and homebrew software, but what are the differences and advantages/disadvantages for each? My understanding is that the ODE is an all in one solution, whereas the SD2SP2 needs some way to boot into SWISS like with an AR disc.
haloharry

Post by haloharry » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:21 pm

Hello, what is a safe temp for a flex cable when putting Solder on
i never used tried to put Solder on a flex cable before?
meneerbeer

Post by meneerbeer » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:23 am

ssbmoro wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:08 pm
Sorry for what is probably a very ignorant question, but I am new to this forum and this topic. What's the difference between this optical disc emulator and the SD2SP2 that was also just recently announced? I understand that both can be used to load backups and homebrew software, but what are the differences and advantages/disadvantages for each? My understanding is that the ODE is an all in one solution, whereas the SD2SP2 needs some way to boot into SWISS like with an AR disc.
The ODE is connected to the GameCube's drive bus. It has a higher bandwith than the SD2SP2 and, thus, read speeds will be much faster. It can even perform better than an actual disc drive. Some people did mention that a handful of games may crash if the loading times are too fast, so that will be fixed in a firmware update.
haloharry wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:21 pm
Hello, what is a safe temp for a flex cable when putting Solder on
i never used tried to put Solder on a flex cable before?
Citrus3000psi will do an install video and I am sure he will mention the temperature here.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:07 am

An ODE has chances to achieve a much higher Compatibility rate with games, compared to SDgecko/SD2SP2.
Also, as of today, there is no direct boot options to SD2SP2 compared to SDGecko, it's an issue that may be adressed in a close future, but at the moment, you still need to either boot SWISS off an SDGecko, or off a Memcard, as can be seen in this video (same as in my signature), and SWISS takes up as much as 150 blocks.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Soliner

Post by Soliner » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:51 pm

Link83 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:02 pm
meneerbeer wrote:
It is a nice idea and I have considered it. However, the amount of interested people for this seems so low that it is probably not worth it for us. Sorry.
Thats a shame :( Judging from the replies in this thread:-
https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65485
I think there are more than a few people who would love to keep the optical drive if possible (and even a few people hoping for Wii support too)
If you are unsure how much interest there would be in a version with a pass-through option, then perhaps a twitter poll could help show the level of interest?
I agree. I though it would be an alternative to WASP, but as there is no passthrough, I don't think I'll buy it.
Losing the ability to play my legit games is really something I don't want.

I really don't understand why you didn't include this feature.
Manuu

Post by Manuu » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:27 pm

Soliner wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:51 pm
Link83 wrote:
meneerbeer wrote:
I think there are more than a few people who would love to keep the optical drive if possible (and even a few people hoping for Wii support too)
If you are unsure how much interest there would be in a version with a pass-through option, then perhaps a twitter poll could help show the level of interest?
I agree. I though it would be an alternative to WASP, but as there is no passthrough, I don't think I'll buy it.

Gamecube is very cheap now, you want ode and keep optical drive ? Buy 2 Gamecube, simple... You are not happy with this new wonderfull product ? Build your own solution, simple... It's allways easy to complain about product and features. Maybe you could be began to be happy with new alternative like meneerbeer product. Peace
rey_1178

Post by rey_1178 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:30 pm

Manuu wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:27 pm
Soliner wrote:
Link83 wrote:

Gamecube is very cheap now, you want ode and keep optical drive ? Buy 2 Gamecube, simple... You are not happy with this new wonderfull product ? Build your own solution, simple... It's allways easy to complain about product and features. Maybe you could be began to be happy with new alternative like meneerbeer product. Peace
👍
Insomnia

Post by Insomnia » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:49 pm

Soliner wrote:
Link83 wrote:
meneerbeer wrote:

Why play games on disc when you have an ODE that can play it all? Just curious on why you need to play legit games (since you can play it on the ODE). It's even easier, you don't have to switch discs all the time. I think that is the one of the reasons of an ODE, to replace the disc. Perhaps "replace" may not be the right word since some people expect the ODE to work with the disk drive side by side (i.e. ability to switch whenever) but in my understanding an ODE usually replaces the drive. I recently even got rid of many games just to play on the upcoming ODE. I am actually glad it's easy to install, I could imagine that the ability of keeping the disc drive along with the ODE would make installation much more difficult (unless someone finds a new / convenient way of making it easy). From what I recall (might be wrong here) is that the wasp fusion qsb's designed by citrus would allow one to play backups through the wasp / wode (or anything similar) but you would not have audio streaming since the wasp fusion doesn't support it (perhaps it's firmware locked or whatever). That's why the disc drive was existing alongside the solution, so you could play games that require audiostreaming through the dvd drive (perhaps someone can confirm whether this is correct or not).

Anyway, the ODE looks clean and simple so far. One thing that would make it much more awesome (which it already is) is if they find a way to get it shipped with the dvd-drive connector on it so it's truely plug and play. Soldering a dvd-drive connector to the board (hopefully) shouldn't be too much of a problem I guess.
meneerbeer

Post by meneerbeer » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:57 pm

The main reasons for not including the feature to keep the existing disc drive are because it makes the product more expensive, longer development time, and installation is rather tricky. This feature would only be used by a relatively low amount of people. It is not really worth it. I would recommend to buy an extra GameCube to play original discs. On the other hand, you might as well rip all your discs and just use the ODE, once compatibility is confirmed 100%.
Le_Gogh

Post by Le_Gogh » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:18 pm

meneerbeer wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:23 am
The ODE is connected to the GameCube's drive bus. It has a higher bandwith than the SD2SP2 and, thus, read speeds will be much faster. It can even perform better than an actual disc drive. Some people did mention that a handful of games may crash if the loading times are too fast, so that will be fixed in a firmware update.
Out of interest, how will the ODE receive firmware updates? Would this require flashing via JTAG or would it be via Swiss for example? I know the DCHDMI has WiFi and so receives updates this way, but I assume that's not the case here?
meneerbeer

Post by meneerbeer » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:12 am

You can run a dol file from the SD Card to update it. :)
Le_Gogh

Post by Le_Gogh » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:17 am

meneerbeer wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:12 am
You can run a dol file from the SD Card to update it. :)
Awesome, that's great news! Thanks Meneerbeer!
Henkie

Post by Henkie » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:52 am

I was reading this thread and elsewhere and just had to register to reply to some of the comments made.

Obviously this is a great mod for many people and I’m very happy these efforts are being made.

It does bug me however how we, the people (or “purists”) who enjoy functioning disc drives, are kinda being ridiculed. It’s clear this product isn’t made for us, and that’s fine. Most who seem to be understandably disappointed are just because earlier on in development it was the goal to make the disc drive atleast optional.

Anyway, questioning why, ridiculing or marginalizing the individuals who want their disc based console to actually do what it was designed to do, play the discs, is silly to me. IMO adding functionality to a system is a great, but this is kinda like adding Bluetooth to a classic vehicle but deleting the engine to make it possible. Sure, I’ll enjoy the music, but I have a car to drive around, it’s what it’s for.

I have seen the same comments in the Dreamcast community with ODEs and it’s kinda sad. Just say: “I can see where you’re coming from, but unfortunately this product isn’t for you.”

Meneerbeer, best of luck with the product launch and I hope you might have the chance to one day make this an add on instead of a replacement to the disc drive 👍
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:14 pm

I don't want to hard mod my Cube, because I consider you always have a trade off to do, keeping it stock, or going the "wild way", and this one doesn't do exception, while it seems it can be done without hurting the unit too much.
Still, I went into Softmodding because my SMS disc's been dead from just a drop on the floor, and I didn't want to fork out 40€ for a used game I had already bought brand new for 20€.
And I have to say the 007AUF disc is pulled out my main GC in very few occurences (essentially to use the SDGecko on the Wii). Although it is not the fastest way to boot into SWISS, the perspective of not risking to break a disc while manipulating it, the optical drive potential lifespan expansion, the silence of a disc-less console, and not having to dig out for a game every now and then makes it worth it.
I am happy that most of the games I own work from the SDGecko/SD2SP2 off my dumps (except for SMS, that I didn't dump before it broke), and can get around with 30 games in the cube painlessly, so I go on with that solution, but others may want more compatibility, I can understand it.

I recently got an extra cube with a GBP, these are quite cheap, especially if you spot them loose as it's just to get an extra unit.

Having an extra unit can be useful too, and makes sense when you have the GBPlayer, since some gamecube games need a separate GBA for some functionnalities, or even one for each player, that's why I have two (well, three temporarily) GC+GBP, plus the Wii.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Soliner

Post by Soliner » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:43 pm

Manuu wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:27 pm
This «new wonderfull» product was supposed to be an alternative to the hard-do-find WASP/Wiikey, not a product with less features (read the full topic before saying nonsense like «build your own solution»)...
And why I don't buy two GC ? Because I'd also have to buy twice the GCDual.
Insomnia wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:49 pm
Why play games on disc when you have an ODE that can play it all? Just curious on why you need to play legit games (since you can play it on the ODE). It's even easier, you don't have to switch discs all the time.
First, I have problem when mods remove a working feature. My GC doesn't have a faulty drive. Of course, you can have almost everything on your SD card, but you lose the ability to use your GC the usual way.
Second, this is a downgrade of something that was available before (Wasp).

meneerbeer wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:57 pm
The main reasons for not including the feature to keep the existing disc drive are because it makes the product more expensive, longer development time, and installation is rather tricky. This feature would only be used by a relatively low amount of people. It is not really worth it. I would recommend to buy an extra GameCube to play original discs. On the other hand, you might as well rip all your discs and just use the ODE, once compatibility is confirmed 100%.
Citrus himself made QSB for easy installation of the WASP on the GC.
The price is not really a problem, when you see products like this (ok, not available, like everything on BA's site).
I really wouldn't mind paying extra $ for this feature (and I'm really not the only one).

But it's great to see this product finally coming out.
Do you intend to open source the project later ?
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:35 pm

Soliner wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:43 pm
Because I'd also have to buy twice the GCDual.
First, I have problem when mods remove a working feature.
So, I assume you have a DOL-101?
Soliner wrote:
…you lose the ability to use your GC the usual way.
Second, this is a downgrade of something that was available before (Wasp).
There, I agree, but you don't have to bash them for doing something with less functionnalities, because it was nonetheless a hard work to get it done. In the end, choice is given to you to buy this or not. Maybe even someone will eventually pop with a dual-drive upgrade for it in some months.
Soliner wrote:
I really wouldn't mind paying extra $ for this feature (and I'm really not the only one).
There are some great softmods for the Wii that reduce much the targeted market. I agree that it is not exactly the same, but it does the job quite well for most, and wayyy cheaper! (Wii+component cable≠GC+HD device+DVD emulator)

Manuu

Post by Manuu » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:29 pm

Soliner wrote:
This «new wonderfull» product was supposed to be an alternative to the hard-do-find WASP/Wiikey, not a product with less features (read the full topic before saying nonsense like «build your own solution»)...
Realy ? It's not McDonald's... Meneerbeer are not here to adapt to YOUR requirements. As i have said, you don't like this product, well buy a Wasp ( https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpr ... 3923490988) , buy a QSB and stop bothering people... You have choice. :roll: