DVD Drive Emulator Question

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
Cyo.the.vile

Re: DVD Drive Emulator Question

Post by Cyo.the.vile » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:20 pm

Is this going to be firmware flash able?
reppin916

Post by reppin916 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:04 pm

Great news exciting times!
Manuu

Post by Manuu » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:22 am

Greetings from France ! I'm realy excited too by this project, good luck !
DJPWeb

Post by DJPWeb » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:42 pm

Now that the cat is out of the bag, any interesting news / info ? (not asking for a timeline here)
Congrats to you and Citrus3000Psi in any case ;)
parski

Post by parski » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:48 pm

DJPWeb wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:42 pm
Now that the cat is out of the bag, any interesting news / info ? (not asking for a timeline here)
Congrats to you and Citrus3000Psi in any case ;)
What cat and what bag? What's Dan doing? Link the things, bud.

Did we get an actual thing to discuss as opposed to "Wow I want this and I'm from a country!"?
DJPWeb

Post by DJPWeb » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:04 pm

parski

Post by parski » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:28 pm

Oh wow, that's really great!

I wonder what the story is. Is Meneerbeer overwhelmed and encumbered with life things and Dan swooshed in and saved the day or is it still Meneerbeer's thing and Dan is helping him out? Either way I'm glad he's getting the help. Good luck to both of you!
Cyo.the.vile

Post by Cyo.the.vile » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:36 pm

Meneerbeer thank you for apexing the GameCube and most of all sharing it with us. I look forward to using your ODE :)
Haydinho

Post by Haydinho » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:04 pm

Thank you Meneerbeer, i assume these will be available from https://shop.dansprojects.com/
meneerbeer

Post by meneerbeer » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:19 pm

parski wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:28 pm

I wonder what the story is. Is Meneerbeer overwhelmed and encumbered with life things and Dan swooshed in and saved the day or is it still Meneerbeer's thing and Dan is helping him out? Either way I'm glad he's getting the help. Good luck to both of you!
I am still actively involved and Dan is helping me out. Honestly, if I had to do everything by myself, it would have taken much longer still. I think this decision is also beneficial for the community.
rey_1178

Post by rey_1178 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:49 pm

meneerbeer wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:19 pm
parski wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:28 pm

I am still actively involved and Dan is helping me out. Honestly, if I had to do everything by myself, it would have taken much longer still. I think this decision is also beneficial for the community.
Thank you so much for doing this.
meneerbeer

Post by meneerbeer » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:08 pm

Info has been posted on Dan's website: https://shop.dansprojects.com/gc-loader.html

Most important new info:
- Installation is done using a flex cable. The soldering is very easy. It is also possible to make it plug and play, but you will have to salvage an existing drive connector.
- Audiostreaming is supported
- Firmware can be updated through SD Card
- Price is 80$
- It is not possible to keep your DVD Drive.
Insomnia

Post by Insomnia » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:44 pm

meneerbeer wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:08 pm
Info has been posted on Dan's website: https://shop.dansprojects.com/gc-loader.html

Most important new info:
- Installation is done using a flex cable. The soldering is very easy. It is also possible to make it plug and play, but you will have to salvage an existing drive connector.
- Audiostreaming is supported
- Firmware can be updated through SD Card
- Price is 80$
- It is not possible to keep your DVD Drive.
On the website it says there will be a video on how to solder it but will they also cover the advanced installation if you want to make it plug and play, since I'd like to have it plug and play (have lots of spare connectors left)? There is no stock currently from what I see, hopefully it will get updated soon. Can't wait :)
Last edited by Insomnia on Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
parski

Post by parski » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:48 pm

Do you also go by Dan or is it Daniel only? Asking the real questions.

(Astounding news! I'm beyond hyped.)
meneerbeer

Post by meneerbeer » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:01 pm

Insomnia wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:44 pm
On the website it says there will be a video on how to solder it but will they also cover the advanced installation if you want to make it plug and play, since I'd like to have it plug and play (have lots of spare connectors left)? There is no stock currently from what I see, hopefully it will get updated soon. Can't wait :)
I am not sure about that. It is a valid question. A problem though is that there are quite a lot of ways to desolder the connector. Each with its own trade-offs. Soldering the connector onto the board should be straightforward.
parski wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:48 pm
Do you also go by Dan or is it Daniel only? Asking the real questions.

(Astounding news! I'm beyond hyped.)
I go by Daniel. ;)
Le_Gogh

Post by Le_Gogh » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:12 am

I am beyond excited for this, especially as my drive has started to gradually die, so this is perfect timing!

Daniel, are you able to confirm whether this works region free? If I wanted to play NTSC games on my PAL system would I need to region mod my GC as well? Happy either way but would be handy to know so I can get it done :D

Thank you so much for all of the work you've done on this!
Haydinho

Post by Haydinho » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:18 am

I can’t wait to try this out, I just bought some donor gamecubes from Japan, gonna try my hand at soldering on the connector from the disc drive
meneerbeer

Post by meneerbeer » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:08 am

Le_Gogh wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:12 am
I am beyond excited for this, especially as my drive has started to gradually die, so this is perfect timing!

Daniel, are you able to confirm whether this works region free? If I wanted to play NTSC games on my PAL system would I need to region mod my GC as well? Happy either way but would be handy to know so I can get it done :D

Currently, the ODE will use 'boot.iso' as its default CD during startup. If you use the Swiss iso here (soon I will do a merge request that adds support for this ODE), you will afterwards be able to boot region free. Unfortunately, you cannot yet boot the 'boot.iso' region freely. This feature seemed much less important, so it is somewhere on the bottom of a todo list.
Le_Gogh

Post by Le_Gogh » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:55 am

meneerbeer wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:08 am
Le_Gogh wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:12 am

Currently, the ODE will use 'boot.iso' as its default CD during startup. If you use the Swiss iso here (soon I will do a merge request that adds support for this ODE), you will afterwards be able to boot region free. Unfortunately, you cannot yet boot the 'boot.iso' region freely. This feature seemed much less important, so it is somewhere on the bottom of a todo list.
Awesome, thanks so much for the quick reply! That answers my question perfectly. I assume most would just boot into Swiss and go from there anyway, so as you've said, the alternative is less of a priority.

Hopefully I will be able to order one on day one! Thanks again :D
DJPWeb

Post by DJPWeb » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:35 pm

Just a dumb question, would it work, with the appropriate ribbon cable, in a Wii ?
I know USB loaders are working well, with no major issues, but il would be a nice alternative...
meneerbeer

Post by meneerbeer » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:44 am

Wii support has been dropped. The FFC connector pinout had to be made slightly different to allow for simple installation using the Flex PCB. It should still be possible though to swap the board with a Wiikey/Wasp Fusion on an existing installation. I would, however, recommend to just use the flex PCB as it is much easier.
Link83

Post by Link83 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:58 am

Really great work meneerbeer! I'm so glad to see this project coming to fruition :)

Out of curiosity I remember your post here:-
meneerbeer wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:36 am
Thanks for all the input. I am planning to do the following:
1. FFC connector to connect to the GameCube
2. FFC connector to support drive pass-through. I have not tested anything, so I am not sure if my board design will get it right first try.
3. Add a footprint of the DVD connector, so people can make it plug-and-play.
4. Add a connector for a normal size SD card.

I am still investigating how to lay this out the best way. The idea is that typically the board will be installed in the place where the DVD drive used to be, similarly to GDEMU. It indeed seems it can be quite fiddly to insert an SD card into the board through the drive cavity. Especially because the cavity is small due to mini disc and the GC disc drive seems to be relatively tall as well. Therefore, it seems there are only a few 'optimal' places where the SD card connector can be positioned.
and I just wondered if you still intend to release a version with pass-through for the original drive? (Like the Wiikey Fusion) There are a number of people who would love to keep their original drive if possible, plus I imagine this sort of design could be made compatible with the Wii as well?

Perhaps it could also use a small microSD daughterboard for easier slot placement on both GameCube/Wii? I know citrus3000psi has a design that can be installed between the memory card ports:-
https://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewt ... 636#p38614
https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/IrZlIu1M
Personally I would love to see a design that used a small daughterboard that could be hidden inside Serial Port 2, perhaps with the microSD slot exposed at the side edge. Maybe there could even be a 3D printed Serial Port 2 cover with a microSD slot ready made for a 'no-cut' mod.

Thanks again for your hard work, and I look forward to purchasing a GC Loader :)
meneerbeer

Post by meneerbeer » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:49 pm

It is a nice idea and I have considered it. However, the amount of interested people for this seems so low that it is probably not worth it for us. Sorry.
Link83

Post by Link83 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:02 pm

meneerbeer wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:49 pm
It is a nice idea and I have considered it. However, the amount of interested people for this seems so low that it is probably not worth it for us. Sorry.
Thats a shame :( Judging from the replies in this thread:-
https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65485
I think there are more than a few people who would love to keep the optical drive if possible (and even a few people hoping for Wii support too)
If you are unsure how much interest there would be in a version with a pass-through option, then perhaps a twitter poll could help show the level of interest?
Last edited by Link83 on Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rafer_22

Post by rafer_22 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:09 pm

Link83 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:02 pm
meneerbeer wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:49 pm
Thats a shame :( Judging from the replies in this thread:-
https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65485
I think there are more than a few people who would love to keep the optical drive if possible (and even a few people hoping for Wii support too)
If you are unsure how much interest there would be in a version with a pass-through option, then perhaps a twitter poll could help show the level of interest?
Here in my country, there are many people who thanks pass-through mode for GameCube. By the way, thanks for this new product