Controller ports not working

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
CosmoCortney

Controller ports not working

Post by CosmoCortney » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:31 pm

Hi,
I have got another GameCube and the controller ports do not work.
But my controller is definitely fine since it works on my other GameCube. I'd also like to mention that it requires some force to plug in the controller...
I have opened it to have a look if I can figure out anything. But the ribbon cable just looks fine so does the rest of the front blend.
Any idea what could be wrong?
Also known as Lawn Meower
tesla246

Re: Controller ports not working

Post by tesla246 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:35 pm

Is it possible for you to swap the front panel pcb with the one in your working cube? Or swap the presumably broken front panel pcb into your working cube?

If it is indeed the front panel pcb that houses the controller ports, we may be able to isolate the issue.
Dream mod: HI-speed port device utilizing 4:4:4 RGB 32 bit colour, 720p video and variable refresh rate. :shock:
Favourite mod: GC Loader flashed with latest swiss.
Eagerly awaiting a normal, form-factor wise, wireless controller with rumble. :)
CosmoCortney

Post by CosmoCortney » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:52 pm

Did it. The front blend is definitely the faulty component.
(replacing the silvern cube's blend with the purple ones did the trick. Putting the silvern one's into the purple cube gave me the same error over there)
The ribbon is also fine. Every lane conducts. It can't be the resistor because the LED glows
CosmoCortney

Post by CosmoCortney » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:41 pm

I have mingled a little bit more with it and bent the ribbon (in the case it has an inner interruption of connection). I was right with this assumption. Got control working for a few seconds. Next time I restarted the cube it gives me an odd error message:
20160123_151413.jpg
(1.37 MiB) Not downloaded yet
It says that the calendar and options are not set up. I think it happened because I removed the front panel which has the bios battery
tesla246

Post by tesla246 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:43 pm

Did you remove the plastic grey front off of the PCB to take a proper look? I'm sorry to say I can't help you any further, as my technical knowledge is rather limited.

If you post a picture of the front- and backside of the PCB, maybe someone else can chime in.

Is every port in non-working order (memort cards slots, port 2,3 and 4 ) and are there broken traces, damage, spoiled liquid etc. Maybe give it a good clean?
Dream mod: HI-speed port device utilizing 4:4:4 RGB 32 bit colour, 720p video and variable refresh rate. :shock:
Favourite mod: GC Loader flashed with latest swiss.
Eagerly awaiting a normal, form-factor wise, wireless controller with rumble. :)
novenary

Post by novenary » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:45 pm

CosmoCortney wrote: It says that the calendar and options are not set up. I think it happened because I removed the front panel which has the bios battery
Correct.

Memory card slots are part of the motherboard, not the controller board. You should indeed try the other controller ports though.
CosmoCortney

Post by CosmoCortney » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:12 pm

Yes, also removed it. Here're some pics:
20160123_165552.jpg
(3.32 MiB) Not downloaded yet
20160123_165610.jpg
(3.23 MiB) Not downloaded yet
20160123_165642.jpg
(2.62 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Streetwalker wrote: (...) You should indeed try the other controller ports though.
Doesn't work either. (bios menu can be configured though other slots than 1)
ZEN_KYLE

Post by ZEN_KYLE » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:18 am

It looks like the Led is showing signs of wear.. Im not sure exactly if that also links into the controller data line.. but if you see no other signs of wear/broken traces it would be a good place to start. Btw Badassconsoles.com sells working controller boards for a buck. it may take a couple of weeks for shipping but hey its only a dollar. :D
novenary

Post by novenary » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:08 pm

The LED doesn't matter, it's probably the cable that is broken.
CosmoCortney

Post by CosmoCortney » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:38 am

ZEN_KYLE wrote:It looks like the Led is showing signs of wear.. Im not sure exactly if that also links into the controller data line.. but if you see no other signs of wear/broken traces it would be a good place to start. Btw Badassconsoles.com sells working controller boards for a buck. it may take a couple of weeks for shipping but hey its only a dollar. :D
Thanks! But the shipping costs to Germany ar $13.50. With luck I could get another cube for that money :?
Well, I have got a broken wii some time before. Is there a fitting ribbon cable inside?
novenary

Post by novenary » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:11 am

No there isn't, the controller ports are mounted right onto the mainboard in the Wii.
CosmoCortney

Post by CosmoCortney » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:48 pm

Streetwalker wrote:No there isn't, the controller ports are mounted right onto the mainboard in the Wii.
Yep, just seen that by opening it. That's sad. But hey, there're fitting ones around the web. This one looks very decent to me. 12 lanes and 13mm wide :)

EDIT: Gonna try if i can find out which lane is broken to bridge it with another cable
ZEN_KYLE

Post by ZEN_KYLE » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:54 pm

Yep, just seen that by opening it. That's sad. But hey, there're fitting ones around the web. This one looks very decent to me. 12 lanes and 13mm wide :)

EDIT: Gonna try if i can find out which lane is broken to bridge it with another cable[/quote]

if all else fails you could use kynar wire or similar to individually make the connections. just be sure to use short lengths of wire and mark where each wire goes to be sure its correct. im not sure of your comfort with soldering, but there is a plethora of tutorial videos on YouTube and since you have those nice pads to solder to it shouldn't be too difficult. good luck! I hope this is useful
Bluescreen^

Post by Bluescreen^ » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:24 pm

i come from germany to. where you from germany ? i can send you a complete controllerboard