Need a little advice on sound with Shuriken Video...

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
Marmotta

Need a little advice on sound with Shuriken Video...

Post by Marmotta » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:54 pm

I bought this Shuriken video board from Taobao: http://world.taobao.com/item/5210989362 ... mSite=main and have managed to get video running fine with it, but no sound. The board appears to be based on v2, so I thought it would include audio over HDMI :? .

I was wondering if there was anything I might need to do to activate audio via the Digital AV port, as the official leads don't carry audio?

Any help would be appreciated.
Unseen

Re: Need a little advice on sound with Shuriken Video...

Post by Unseen » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:31 pm

Marmotta wrote:I was wondering if there was anything I might need to do to activate audio via the Digital AV port, as the official leads don't carry audio?
It appears that the board uses an XC3S50 FPGA, so there is no OSD where you could activate anything - it will either output audio or not, depending on the version of the bitstream that has been flashed to it.
Asking for support by PM is anti-social. Ask in an open forum instead, so other people can benefit from the answers!
Marmotta

Post by Marmotta » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:17 pm

I thought as much, I just thought it was odd that it didn't output audio given that I bought it two months after the option was available, but I guess that's what I get for buying from China. I've ordered an spi programmer to try and update it to the latest available code.

I wasn't expecting to be able to access a GCVideo OSD, as even if it was accessible there wouldn't be any way of controlling it, but thought maybe there was a button combination similar to enabling progressive scan or something. I take it that any external cable that might be released will also not have be able to have an OSD?
Unseen

Post by Unseen » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:31 pm

Marmotta wrote:I take it that any external cable that might be released will also not have be able to have an OSD?
Integrating support for an IR remote into the code is on my to-do list, but I need to optimize the code to free up more space first. I also need to figure out some usability problems, for example how to get back into key learning mode when the remote that was originally configured is not available anymore.
Asking for support by PM is anti-social. Ask in an open forum instead, so other people can benefit from the answers!
meneerbeer

Post by meneerbeer » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:36 pm

When looking at the pics of the ad, it seems he was able to install the Shuriken video internally. I wonder how he did that.

I guess in your case you just removed the digital video port?
Marmotta

Post by Marmotta » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:52 pm

meneerbeer wrote:When looking at the pics of the ad, it seems he was able to install the Shuriken video internally. I wonder how he did that.

I guess in your case you just removed the digital video port?
Is there not enough room to squeeze it between the DVD drive and metal shielding? Of course he could have just removed the DVD drive, which is what I might end up doing with mine, for now I've just wired it to the Digital AV points on the underside of the board and it's hanging out the back of the console.

Unseen wrote:Integrating support for an IR remote into the code is on my to-do list, but I need to optimize the code to free up more space first. I also need to figure out some usability problems, for example how to get back into key learning mode when the remote that was originally configured is not available anymore.
Cool. Would it be possible to have the IR transceiver built onto an add-on board which could be installed inside a Gamecube controller? Would be especially cool with Wavebird controllers.
Unseen

Post by Unseen » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:43 pm

Marmotta wrote:Cool. Would it be possible to have the IR transceiver built onto an add-on board which could be installed inside a Gamecube controller? Would be especially cool with Wavebird controllers.
No, it would be an IR receiver on or in the same case as the GCVideo board and some random IR remote as transmitter.
Marmotta

Post by Marmotta » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:20 pm

My knockoff Xilinx Programmer arrived, but I just wanted to check on something before I start trying to flash anything. I just wanted to check if I should be connecting via SPI instead of JTAG, as everything on the Shuriken Video webpage points to that, but I have seen picks of people flashing via JTAG. In what circumstances should I use one over the other?