[WIP] Custom GC Controller

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
Aurelio

[WIP] Custom GC Controller

Post by Aurelio » Sun May 22, 2016 9:34 am

Hello. This is a project on which I've been working for the past few weeks. It is a custom GC controller (no Nintendo components have been used).
I've implemented the whole protocol, but I've also included a couple of special features. First of all it can handle perfectly the 3DS sliders without needing any external converter. To do that it must be configured (one time only) through a custom Wii/GC homebrew that will allow to scale the range to fit perfectly the preferred sliders/sticks.
The homebrew will probably also allow to set the rumble intensity :)
The board is just 20.02x19.51 mm (but this is just a prototype board and the dimensions might change on the final revision).

Please notice that this project is still a WIP. As of now I only have to finish the custom homebrew, but besides that everything is working as it should :)
Sierron

Re: [WIP] Custom GC Controller

Post by Sierron » Sun May 22, 2016 10:33 am

Interesting project. Looking forward to see it finished.

Do you plan to only do the chip or make a custom controller case and cable as well?
Own a couple PAL and JPN cubes. And three BBAs. Homeland and PSO I/II.
Aurelio

Post by Aurelio » Sun May 22, 2016 10:35 am

Sierron wrote:Interesting project. Looking forward to see it finished.

Do you plan to only do the chip or make a custom controller case and cable as well?
I won't do any controller case. I'm doing this specifically for portables :)
KirovAir

Post by KirovAir » Sun May 22, 2016 8:15 pm

Looks promising! :)
"The only thing more dangerous than a hardware guru with a code patch is a programmer with a soldering iron."
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Mon May 23, 2016 11:14 pm

This is very cool to say the least. The only option we have for something like this is minigc which is very cool but required to desolder a official GameCube controller and solder every component on a bare PCB. This is extremely simple only 1 IC no resistors, filters, and capacitors. Will this be open source? Or will you be selling premade PCBs? Is rumble supported? Could you post a picture of the back side

Edit: OK rumble is supported really nice work. Now we just need a cloned Ethernet adapter and gameboy player then we will be set
Aurelio

Post by Aurelio » Mon May 23, 2016 11:25 pm

andre104623 wrote:This is very cool to say the least. The only option we have for something like this is minigc which is very cool but required to desolder a official GameCube controller and solder every component on a bare PCB. This is extremely simple only 1 IC no resistors, filters, and capacitors. Will this be open source? Or will you be selling premade PCBs? Is rumble supported? Could you post a picture of the back side

Edit: OK rumble is supported really nice work. Now we just need a cloned Ethernet adapter and gameboy player then we will be set
Actually there are a bunch of resistors on the back of the board as you can see (even though they are not soldered in this picture).
The project won't be open source, but I will sell premade PCBs.
Rumble is supported, but not on this prototype (well it is, but it needs an external MOSFET). The final revision will have all the needed parts to handle correctly the rumble too.
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Mon May 23, 2016 11:36 pm

Aurelio wrote:
andre104623 wrote:This is very cool to say the least. The only option we have for something like this is minigc which is very cool but required to desolder a official GameCube controller and solder every component on a bare PCB. This is extremely simple only 1 IC no resistors, filters, and capacitors. Will this be open source? Or will you be selling premade PCBs? Is rumble supported? Could you post a picture of the back side

Actually there are a bunch of resistors on the back of the board as you can see (even though they are not soldered in this picture).
The project won't be open source, but I will sell premade PCBs.
Rumble is supported, but not on this prototype (well it is, but it needs an external MOSFET). The final revision will have all the needed parts to handle correctly the rumble too.
Cool, shame it won't be open source though. The going rate for a populated minigc is 50 and 15 for bare prices are in USD. How much do you think one of your boards will go for
Aurelio

Post by Aurelio » Tue May 24, 2016 5:04 am

I can't tell yet, but it will be cheaper
Aurelio

Post by Aurelio » Sat May 28, 2016 9:07 pm

Almost done:

Sorry if the video really sucks, I had to use a crappy webcam to record it.