Wiring a controller port led

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
AngryPyro

Wiring a controller port led

Post by AngryPyro » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:22 am

Hi,

I'm just beginning to look into modding one of my gamecubes, and I've always wanted to do a mod that involved controller port LEDs that light up only when the controller is plugged in. I've done some research into adding controller port LEDs and I've noticed that there are 2 different voltage lines, a 5V power line for the rumble motor, a 3.43V line for the data, and a 3.43V line for the logic board. My assumption is that I can wire an LED to the data line
(pin two in this image:
that will only activate the LED when the controller is plugged in, like I want.

I have only heard of one other mod like this being done where the port only lights when a controller is plugged in, though the video attached to the post is no longer available so I cannot verify. Also for anyone confused, the LED would be located behind the little nubs that label which port it is (above the actual ports).
Attachments
gamecubecontrollerboardnd0.jpg
(44.12 KiB) Not downloaded yet
megalomaniac

Re: Wiring a controller port led

Post by megalomaniac » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:16 am

connecting to the dataline would most likely show a blinking LED as data is transmitted and the controller port is usually transmitting data even if no controller is plugged. If you wanted a solid LED only when the controller is plugged in you will have to get creative with some sort of micro switch that will be pressed when the controller is inserted into the port...or carefully mounting an LED so one of its legs will contact only when the controller is inserted.

take a look at the top/sides/bottom of the port itself and you will see some tabs that move when a controller is plugged in..this should help to accomplish what you want
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
AngryPyro

Post by AngryPyro » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:14 pm

Awesome, thank you so much!
zigaboo

Post by zigaboo » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:56 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5clWjE1q3c

Does this help you in any way? It's for the Dreamcast but you could do something similar.