build SD Gecko and solder directly to the MoBo

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
sidgallup

build SD Gecko and solder directly to the MoBo

Post by sidgallup » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:37 am

Hi, i have an already modded Cube it has a Xeno chip working fine, however i want to be able to load from a microsd card for when the laser eventually gives up or one of my discs gets damaged or lost.

I want to make it so it's not visible on the memory card slot B but hide it somewhere on the modem adapter slot.

Ive read a tutorial and im trying to figure out if all i need to do is just solder each point to its correspondent point on the board.

here's an image of what i think i have to do.
http://imgur.com/a/FnfPe

So, would this diagram work? just solder each point and burn a SWISS disc, copy some games to a microSD and play?
andzlay

Re: build SD Gecko and solder directly to the MoBo

Post by andzlay » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:21 am

I have no idea about the wiring, but if the laser is broken you can't boot up a SWISS disc. Maybe you should look for a drive replacement like megadrive+WKF/WASP or at least a spare laser.
sidgallup

Re: build SD Gecko and solder directly to the MoBo

Post by sidgallup » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:04 am

Laser works perfectly fine, i just want to be able to boot from SD card for games that are %100 compatible so it last longer.

I know i can just order an SD geko clone for $6 on Ebay but i want to learn how to do it myself, im a DIY enthusiast, i have modded all of my videogame consoles and i love the process of learning and doing it myself.