Custom QSB for Wasp/WKF with DVD drive

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
Mikeyy00

Re: Custom QSB for Wasp/WKF with DVD drive

Post by Mikeyy00 » Wed May 17, 2017 5:58 pm

JimmySummer wrote:Thank you for your answer.

Have you got a tips to solder the WKF Host QSB? I tried, I find it's difficult.
Do you like broken Gamecubes? Because that's how you break your Gamecube.

Citrus's board looks interesting, but 1.6mm is pretty thick to be soldering.. I would have gotten the 0.8mm board, and even then you need some soldering chops.

Citrus, any thought into using flex instead?
JimmySummer

Post by JimmySummer » Wed May 17, 2017 9:21 pm

Don't worry I trained on a broken gamecube.

I have soldered wires on the WKF Host QSB to facilitate the installation.

https://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/3692 ... 224432.jpg

I am waiting for a FFC cable to get started.
Mikeyy00

Post by Mikeyy00 » Thu May 18, 2017 1:07 am

JimmySummer wrote:Don't worry I trained on a broken gamecube.

I have soldered wires on the WKF Host QSB to facilitate the installation.

https://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/3692 ... 224432.jpg

I am waiting for a FFC cable to get started.

Oh my god. Stop now. Do not pass go. You've taken a questionable solution and stuck your dick in it. Wow.. just wow.
novenary

Post by novenary » Thu May 18, 2017 5:35 am

Not to mention it defeats the purpose of using this PCB in the first place. Did oshpark do the castellations properly?
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi » Thu May 18, 2017 8:06 pm

JimmySummer wrote:Thank you for your answer.

Have you got a tips to solder the WKF Host QSB? I tried, I find it's difficult.
I find it easier to tin both the main board and the QSB first. The drag solder up using a very small tip. You the castelations need to be checked and cleaned up if necessary. Oshpark doesn't make the best edges with castelations.
Mikeyy00 wrote: Citrus's board looks interesting, but 1.6mm is pretty thick to be soldering.. I would have gotten the 0.8mm board, and even then you need some soldering chops.

Citrus, any thought into using flex instead?
I've only tested with 1.6mm boards just because I get them faster (I'm good at soldering so its not so much an issue for me). .8mm should work with the host board. The DVD board might need to be 1.6mm still, just to raise the FFC connector high enough to get over that SMD cap that gets in the way. I actually have a set of both DVD & Host QSB's in .8mm to test with a WODE.

I've messed around with flex, but only at home using the dupont pyralux and solid ink printer. The cost to get flex pcbs is still high in cost. I'm building a GC-Video mod for the wii where I came close to using a flex cable but ended up making a QSB work with vias. Maybe one day I'll get my feet wet with a fab house + Flex.
JimmySummer

Post by JimmySummer » Thu May 18, 2017 9:41 pm

Thank you for your advise.

I think I will try although my solder skills are very limited.
Mikeyy00

Post by Mikeyy00 » Thu May 25, 2017 3:02 am

ImageJust need lots of flux.. This is also the 0.8mm board.. I can't imagine being able to realistically do this on the 1.6..
zeruel85

Post by zeruel85 » Thu May 25, 2017 6:40 am

FIL1 has to be removed, from what I know. Nice installation btw! :)
Mikeyy00

Post by Mikeyy00 » Thu May 25, 2017 11:15 am

zeruel85 wrote:FIL1 has to be removed, from what I know. Nice installation btw! :)
Ah, see that on the Github page.. will remove before I test. Still waiting on an extra FFC cable.. fuckin oragami to make it all fit.. needed one a bit longer.
Mikeyy00

Post by Mikeyy00 » Sat May 27, 2017 3:13 am

OK.. finally installed this abomination.. the Wasp portion works like a champ. Passthrough DVD does not. The GC throws a disc read error shortly after powering on unless there is an SD card inserted..

The disc won't even spin unless I connect the DVD rom's lid cable back to the lid switch directly, but it still throws a disc read error after booting..

What am I missing?
novenary

Post by novenary » Sat May 27, 2017 5:44 am

Mikeyy00 wrote:The disc won't even spin unless I connect the DVD rom's lid cable back to the lid switch directly
Of course it won't, that's what it's supposed to do.
Did you try looping a cable directly between the host and drive ffc connectors without a wasp?
Mikeyy00

Post by Mikeyy00 » Sat May 27, 2017 5:52 am

No.. wasn't sure if that was a good idea without the DVD filters.
Mikeyy00

Post by Mikeyy00 » Sat May 27, 2017 5:54 am

Also to be clear with the drive lid switch.. I have it connected to the QSB points.. but the drive doesn't have any activity. If I unplug that cable, and reconnect the lid switch cable going into the DVD drive board.. then I get it to spin.. but still doesn't work.
novenary

Post by novenary » Sat May 27, 2017 8:16 am

Do not connect the lid switch to the qsb, leave it plugged into the drive and solder the lid pins together on the qsb.
Mikeyy00

Post by Mikeyy00 » Sat May 27, 2017 1:11 pm

Same result doing that.

Edit:

Re-flowed the QSB connected to DVD.. tested it connected direct with an FFC cable to the other QSB, and that worked.

Bridged the lid switch pins on the QSB, and great success. Not sure if that was the issue all along, or if I actually needed to reflow it.

If SD card is inserted, Swiss loads and I can play games from SD on the Wasp.. if SD card isn't inserted, it reads from the DVD drive.

I'd guess the only side effect of this, is that I can't play multi-disc games via SD card? Since the lid switch for the Wasp is always closed? Or is Swiss smart enough now that I can just rename my game with a -2 on the end?

I guess worse case I can just play those games via burned disc, or SD Gecko..

Anyways, this'll tide my over until Mega gets around to making more V4's.. or if another drive replacement option ever comes out.

Edit x2:

What a pain in the ass this has been.. turned out I was getting DRE's on any audio streaming DVDs, and that was caused from some Wasp fusion setting that had to be turned off via a utility Mega gave me. Then I had to re-solder the FFC connector on the WASP (DVD side) and the FFC connector on the DVD QSB..after all that, audio streaming games via DVD are now working properly. Mega gets full props for helping me out, even though he has nothing to do with this design. Citrus, man.. you have to either update your documentation if you're just gonna put these designs up on the internet all willy nilly, or respond to tweets/messages. This mod is NOT for a beginner.. I'll cop that the soldering may have caused the issues on the FFCs..but no audio streaming games would have ever worked via DVD had I not run that utility on the Wasp.

Mega +1
Citrus -1
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi » Wed May 31, 2017 12:43 pm

Mikeyy00 wrote:Same result doing that.

Edit:

Re-flowed the QSB connected to DVD.. tested it connected direct with an FFC cable to the other QSB, and that worked.

Bridged the lid switch pins on the QSB, and great success. Not sure if that was the issue all along, or if I actually needed to reflow it.

If SD card is inserted, Swiss loads and I can play games from SD on the Wasp.. if SD card isn't inserted, it reads from the DVD drive.

I'd guess the only side effect of this, is that I can't play multi-disc games via SD card? Since the lid switch for the Wasp is always closed? Or is Swiss smart enough now that I can just rename my game with a -2 on the end?

I guess worse case I can just play those games via burned disc, or SD Gecko..

Anyways, this'll tide my over until Mega gets around to making more V4's.. or if another drive replacement option ever comes out.

Edit x2:

What a pain in the ass this has been.. turned out I was getting DRE's on any audio streaming DVDs, and that was caused from some Wasp fusion setting that had to be turned off via a utility Mega gave me. Then I had to re-solder the FFC connector on the WASP (DVD side) and the FFC connector on the DVD QSB..after all that, audio streaming games via DVD are now working properly. Mega gets full props for helping me out, even though he has nothing to do with this design. Citrus, man.. you have to either update your documentation if you're just gonna put these designs up on the internet all willy nilly, or respond to tweets/messages. This mod is NOT for a beginner.. I'll cop that the soldering may have caused the issues on the FFCs..but no audio streaming games would have ever worked via DVD had I not run that utility on the Wasp.

Mega +1
Citrus -1
This gave me a chuckle. Sorry you couldn't handle it. I put my designs up for FREE. Let me repeat that, FREE. Maybe if I charged I'd feel obligated to HELP you out. Other people have installed my design and haven't had issues.

Here is a quote from the top of my git hub for the project. https://github.com/citrus3000psi/GameCube-Wasp-QSB
Somewhat easy to install Gamecube QSBs for WiiKey Fusion and Wasp Fusion. DVD QSB works with audio streaming titles.

This guide assumes you already familiar with the Wasp & WKF. So I will not be going over the LID/Pin29 usage. These pads are labeled on the Host QSB

All Part numbers are digikey
Next time try not to be an asshole when someone gives you something for free.

Mikeyy00 -1000

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:33 am

I have installed these pcbs on two different gamecubes and never had a problem.

I wanna thank citrus3000psi for his efforts and for releasing this project for free.
zeruel85

Post by zeruel85 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:33 am

I have installed these pcbs on two different gamecubes and never had a problem.

I wanna thank citrus3000psi for his efforts and for releasing this project for free.
KirovAir

Post by KirovAir » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:50 am

zeruel85 wrote:I have installed these pcbs on two different gamecubes and never had a problem.

Exactly this. Thanks for creating and releasing this.
"The only thing more dangerous than a hardware guru with a code patch is a programmer with a soldering iron."
JimmySummer

Post by JimmySummer » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:03 pm

For my part I did not succeed :D but I would like to thank Citrus for sharing this beautiful project.
buck1138

Post by buck1138 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:07 am

Hey citrus3000psi,

First I'd like to say amazing work on all your projects.

I am wanting to do a total gamecube mod using the following boards from https://oshpark.com/profiles/citrus3000psi/page/1

For WiiKey Fusion
Gamecube Wasp DVD QSB
Gamecube Wasp/WKF Host QSB
sdcard_cube for wiikey

For HDMI
GC HDMI QSB 2.5
GCHDMI 2.6

So here are my questions for anyone really :-)

1. Can anyone explain a little more about what the DVD filters are that need to be removed and how to remove them?
2. The original thread for your HDMI build is no longer accessible. Can you help me out with all the digi-key part numbers needed to build both hdmi boards?
3. How do you actually program the hdmi boards once they are assembled? I don't see a jtag connector or anything like that.
4. Where are people actually buying the ribbon cable of various strands?
5. Is there any chance that anyone sells any of the above boards complete with chips? (not my first SMD solder project but it is still very intimidating :-P )
6. Do you or any other reputable modders offer a service where I could just send in a DOL-001 motherboard and have all the work done?

I am not interested in an external hdmi mod from badassconsole. I know he does great work but I'm interested in this being a completely internal mod project.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help answer any of the above questions.
Mikeyy00

Post by Mikeyy00 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:08 pm

1. Use a large tip on your soldering iron to remove them, heat up and grab with tweezers
2. I had a bom, but I don't think it's accurate anymore.. I'll leave that one for Citrus
3. There are jtag pins on the PCB
4. Digikey, look up ffc cable, any 32 pin one should work
5. Nope, Badassconsoles has a plug and play gc video coming.. he might still sell an internal if you ask him. for the DVD portion, nope too. Unless BAC makes more of his MegaDrive v4's
6. Can't comment on that one.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:51 pm

buck1138 wrote:Hey citrus3000psi,

First I'd like to say amazing work on all your projects.

I am wanting to do a total gamecube mod using the following boards from https://oshpark.com/profiles/citrus3000psi/page/1

For WiiKey Fusion
Gamecube Wasp DVD QSB
Gamecube Wasp/WKF Host QSB
sdcard_cube for wiikey

For HDMI
GC HDMI QSB 2.5
GCHDMI 2.6

So here are my questions for anyone really :-)

1. Can anyone explain a little more about what the DVD filters are that need to be removed and how to remove them?
2. The original thread for your HDMI build is no longer accessible. Can you help me out with all the digi-key part numbers needed to build both hdmi boards?
3. How do you actually program the hdmi boards once they are assembled? I don't see a jtag connector or anything like that.
4. Where are people actually buying the ribbon cable of various strands?
5. Is there any chance that anyone sells any of the above boards complete with chips? (not my first SMD solder project but it is still very intimidating :-P )
6. Do you or any other reputable modders offer a service where I could just send in a DOL-001 motherboard and have all the work done?

I am not interested in an external hdmi mod from badassconsole. I know he does great work but I'm interested in this being a completely internal mod project.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help answer any of the above questions.
1. I use a rework station.
2. I've got the BOM's somewhere. I've been working on a new HDMI mod, that will be better than the old. I built the first one 2 days ago, but having trouble getting video output. Give me a little more time, and I should have that ready soon. I would hold out for this new design.
3. The HDMI boards are programmed via SPI. I removed the JTAG pins because I never programmed the board that way and needed the space. More information about programming the unit via SPI can be found out: http://www.retro-system.com/shuriken%20video.htm If you have more questions about the programming send me a PM.
4.Digikey
5. Perhaps soon there will be a place to buy a kit.
6. I've done the mods for people, i'd be willing to do it for you. But I'm swamped and the the new version will take priority over that.
Bakuku

Post by Bakuku » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:28 am

It takes some serious soldering to ge this QSB setup to work.
The pitch on the Host board is a little bit of so you have to solder the last few pins going to the Filtercap pins at a slight angle.

Also took me a long time to figure out the castelation cuts were shorted by the tiniest piece of metal debrie left from where OSHpark cut the board.

Not for the faint of heart but once you get it working it is an absolute must for your Gamecube!

Keep up the good work Dan!!
Last edited by Bakuku on Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikeyy00

Post by Mikeyy00 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:00 pm

Double check your ffc soldering is good, easy way to check for shorts since the pins are so close.. take a picture with your phones camera, then zoom in on the pic. Post some pictures of your job so we can see how it looks, and provide suggestions.