Swiss? Best way to store ISO's?

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
Chris230291

Swiss? Best way to store ISO's?

Post by Chris230291 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:08 am

Hi all. I got Swiss up and running with an SD Geko and it works OK but the 4GB restriction is annoying. Sometimes my games will just hang too, not sure if that is a defective SD Geko or what, as I did have to wiggle it to get it to see my ISO's at all.

I see people using IDE drives with adapters to load games. Just wondering if that method offers anything other than drive space? It also seems strange that there doesn't appear to be a SATA solution or a simple USB flash drive adapter. While I was in Swiss I saw the ability to use SAMBA with the modem attachment. Is it possible to load games from a network share?

Just trying to decide what solution is best for me. Not really interested in drive replacements or fancy mod chips. I'm using a Xeno at the moment, I installed it primarily to play imports, but with some of the games selling for what they do... hence why I'm exploring ISO loading.

Any input is appreciated.
Cheers,
Chris
novenary

Re: Swiss? Best way to store ISO's?

Post by novenary » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:24 am

Get a decently large SD card, that's the nicest way to do it.
IDE-EXI is slower, and you can't load games from samba. SD gecko works quite well though and provides an upgrade path to a drive emulator in case you want to in the future.
Chris230291

Post by Chris230291 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:03 pm

Thanks for the reply. I read that the size limit is 4GB on SD cards for Gamecube, is that not true?

Chris
theclaw

Post by theclaw » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:20 pm

Chris230291 wrote:Thanks for the reply. I read that the size limit is 4GB on SD cards for Gamecube, is that not true?

Chris
No. It's that some older software wasn't updated for larger cards.
In practice however, Gamecube lacks any native SD support. It only works when programmed in. (you might've noticed Nintendo's memory card manager can't read them)
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:04 am

That limit would be 2GB since that is meant to be the cut-off size for standard SD vs. SDHC (which use slightly different protocols). There are a few non-SDHC 4GB cards but they're not common.
Chris230291

Post by Chris230291 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:12 am

Awesome thanks. Big SD it is then I guess. Would really love loading from a netwroked NAS or something though.