Ascii Controller on a computer

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
zigaboo

Ascii Controller on a computer

Post by zigaboo » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:12 am

Hi guys, no idea if this is the correct section.

I want to connect my ascii Controller on my computer, and be able to use its keyboard to type normally on it.

Raphnet's v2 adapter apparently was able to do this, but it's long discontinued, he only sells v3 now and it doesn't support this function. Any other ideas?

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk
OttoBaus

Re: Ascii Controller on a computer

Post by OttoBaus » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:24 pm

Just to be clear here, are you using 2 of these raphnet adapters? As in a second adapter to accommodate the white dongle that carries the keyboard data?

Because the Ascii/Sammy keytrollers function like a normal gamepad when the purple/black dongle is plugged in, but the keyboard will not function unless the white dongle is plugged in as well. (For GC, it must be plugged into port 4).

I have tried using a 4 port Gamecube to USB adapter (the black one with 2 USB plugs) in every possible configuration with a keytroller without success on a Windows PC, and admit I would be more inclined to play PSO BB if I could get it to work. As it stands, I play entirely too much PSO GC using the things anyway...

Raphnet's site still lists 'OK' compatibility for the keytroller under v3 as well. I might just bite the bullet and purchase a couple to test for myself, but would like to hear back from you first if you have tried two of them already.

Edit: Ah, my apologies. Raphnet's site lists 'OK' compatibility for the 'joystick part' only, and I failed to notice initially. Guess I won't be bothering after all...
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:24 am

OttoBaus wrote:For GC, it must be plugged into port 4
It works in any port.
OttoBaus

Post by OttoBaus » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:20 pm

Ives told me the same thing over a year ago. But when I try to use the keyboard with the white dongle plugged into any port other than the furthest one to the right, I get nothing. My GC doesn't appear to register any input playing PSO at least. I have no idea how else to test it on GC though.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:07 am

Maybe your other ports are broken. Test switching both plugs with each other.
zigaboo

Post by zigaboo » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:00 am

OttoBaus wrote:Just to be clear here, are you using 2 of these raphnet adapters? As in a second adapter to accommodate the white dongle that carries the keyboard data?
No idea, I don't have the raphnet adapters :(

I wonder if we could commission someone here to re-create them
OttoBaus

Post by OttoBaus » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:47 pm

tueidj wrote:Maybe your other ports are broken. Test switching both plugs with each other.
I apologize; you were correct.

I managed to get the keytroller to type in every port (1, 2, 3, and 4). I also dug out my old Datel Powerboard to test because it made me wonder. However, while the Datel Powerboard always worked as soon as I plugged it in, the keytrollers are a bit more finicky. Sometimes I couldn't get them to register inputs. Eventually I found if I plugged the white keyboard dongle in either without or before plugging in the purple/black joystick one, then it would work every time. Port 3 gave me the most trouble, and I attribute that to a probable dust build-up since that is the port that pretty much never has anything plugged into it.
paperme

Post by paperme » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:27 pm

Hi, i hope i am not too late to the party , i want to use the gamecube keyboard on my pc as a regular keyboard. I work student part time job in a IT company and it would be awesome to have it as a display/working keyboard on my table.
Any idea? anyone?
I wrote an email to Raphnet but he hasnt replied me yet,
OttoBaus

Post by OttoBaus » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:09 pm

Eh, dude's running a business. I don't think there's much profit in making such an adapter for the 10-20 (???) of us who would purchase it, even if he sold it for triple the cost of his existing GC to USB adapter (so roughly $100 USD).

Also, much as I love the keytrollers, there are other (possibly better) options these days. You can purchase miniature, snap-on 'qwerty' keyboards for the 360 controller for like $15 USD, and there's always free stuff like Skype, Discord, et cetera for voice-chat.

Hah, I wonder how many random requests he's gotten over the years... And what percentage of those could even be considered reasonable?
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:48 am

It's a pretty awkward keyboard to use too, can barely recognise more than two simultaneous keys and half the punctuation is all over the place in non-qwerty locations.