Is there any kind of drive-replacement for portables that's still available?

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
Ampers

Is there any kind of drive-replacement for portables that's still available?

Post by Ampers » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:01 pm

Hi all,

I'm new here and this is my first post. I'm not brand new to making portables, but I did just come back from a 4+ year break. I've been wanting to make myself a portable gamecube so I've been doing a lot of research on the topic. For the most part everything has been going well but I hit a roadblock when I found out that the Wiikey Fusion and any clone equivalents are either completely unavailable, or incredibly hard to come by.

I want to be able to eliminate the disc drive on my portable for obvious reasons (it's big, fragile, and has no business being on a portable), but for all intents and purposes, it doesn't seem like this is possible to do right now...

So I guess my question plain and simply is this: Is there ANY feasible method of eliminating the disc drive on a gamecube right now, with what is available? If nothing else, maybe this post will spark a discussion on what options are theoretically possible. I'm not too knowledgeable on gamecube modding in particular, but I do have a decent background in modding and electrical hardware design.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Is there any kind of drive-replacement for portables that's still available?

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:59 am

Ampers wrote:Hi all,

I'm new here and this is my first post. I'm not brand new to making portables, but I did just come back from a 4+ year break. I've been wanting to make myself a portable gamecube so I've been doing a lot of research on the topic. For the most part everything has been going well but I hit a roadblock when I found out that the Wiikey Fusion and any clone equivalents are either completely unavailable, or incredibly hard to come by.

I want to be able to eliminate the disc drive on my portable for obvious reasons (it's big, fragile, and has no business being on a portable), but for all intents and purposes, it doesn't seem like this is possible to do right now...

So I guess my question plain and simply is this: Is there ANY feasible method of eliminating the disc drive on a gamecube right now, with what is available? If nothing else, maybe this post will spark a discussion on what options are theoretically possible. I'm not too knowledgeable on gamecube modding in particular, but I do have a decent background in modding and electrical hardware design.
Way easier/cheaper to do a Wii portable these days limited to GC games: https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?t ... guide.198/