Consolized GBA using a Gameboy Player

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
jhnwhite2

Consolized GBA using a Gameboy Player

Post by jhnwhite2 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:01 pm

Hi everyone!

So I had an idea the other day: what if the Gameboy player could be modded and used as a standalone console Gameboy Advance without the Gamecube attached? I don't collect for consoles, but I would love to play some of my handheld library on the big screen. It may seem silly, but I just don't like keeping a console that I don't collect games for. It's just a curious project I have in mind, and I love to tinker. I am aware of all the current ways to put a GBA game on a big screen, so this really is just about seeing if it can be done. I couldn't find anything on the web about anyone attempting to do this, or why it wouldn't work. So I thought I would ask some smart people!

Current thoughts:
The GBP has a GBA built in that receives controller input and power from the GC, and uses the GC for A/V out. It's easy to fathom modding the player to include power and controller ports built in. If there is a signal being produced on the GBP side, it's possible that signal could also be wired to a separate A/V port. What role does the Gamecube serve beyond power and controller inputs, and then providing A/V port?

If the GC is absolutely necessary, Could something be designed to mimic the GC that could attach directly to the GBP board, or through the High Speed port?

Thanks in advance everyone for constructive input!
novenary

Re: Consolized GBA using a Gameboy Player

Post by novenary » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:31 pm

The gameboy player is pretty much a capture device for the GBA. It uses the exact same SoC as a real GBA does, with extra hardware to carry the display signal over the SDRAM interface (+ an ADC for audio, edit: no ADC, the PWM duty cycle gets passed digitally). Using the GBP as a base is kind of pointless, you could do the same with a regular GBA. The best way to go about that would be to use an FPGA to tap into the GBA's display signalling and encode a proper video signal, possibly with an upscale step. This is a pretty complex project, and I don't think there is much interest in doing that considering most people are just fine with using the GBP the way it was intended.
jhnwhite2

Post by jhnwhite2 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:24 pm

Hey thanks for the reply!

So sounds like it would be easier to mod a GBA into a console by building a custom 3d printed shell than working with a GBP. I like doing mods, but generally my technical knowledge is limited. Thanks for clarifying! Although it's still interesting to me, I guess I won't pursue figuring it out any further.

I guess I see how cheap the GBP and thought there might be a fairly simple method of converting it to work this way. Then again, they run about as much as a GBA so I may as well start there.

Benn Venn on Facebook has been working recently on a VGA out for the SP, so I might just wait for that route to be finalized.

Thanks!
novenary

Post by novenary » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:11 pm

You're welcome.
jhnwhite2 wrote:Benn Venn on Facebook has been working recently on a VGA out for the SP, so I might just wait for that route to be finalized.
Now that's a surprise, I didn't expect anyone to actually do it, but that's cool.
Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:05 am

As the ABP has all the same hardware nix the screen (and TP spots for button inputs) with a bit of tracing you could probably install a Innovation TV Adapter, do the GBP Audio Tap and use this 3ds Controller out Mod to plug in a SNES controller.

From there you would only need to supply power.