Question, Is a Wave-bird controller GBA possible?

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
Linaru

Question, Is a Wave-bird controller GBA possible?

Post by Linaru » Sun May 21, 2017 11:59 pm

Hello,
I have been modding custom paint jobs on cases for a while now but am completely new to modding hardware, while working on a friends custom FF: CC GameCube and GBA he came up with a concept that has stuck in my mind for a while now...

Would it be possible to somehow mod a wave bird GC controller(or if not possible a wired controller) and a Gameboy micro to make some sort of custom GB Link controller for use with games like FF: crystal chronicles and four swords?

having never looked inside either I have no idea what kind of components there are to work with or how complex it would be.

I would imagine it as outputting both the d-pad and stick as GBA d-pad buttons, the y+x and triggers as L and R bumpers and the Z button as a select button...
perhaps even with a switch to swap between GameCube controller and GBALink cable mode

if anyone had any thoughts or ideas about its possibility or seen someone working on similar id love to know?

a Curious Freya
tueidj

Re: Question, Is a Wave-bird controller GBA possible?

Post by tueidj » Mon May 22, 2017 8:50 am

The GBALink cable uses completely different communication than a regular controller/wavebird. You could in theory make it wireless but it would be easier to do from scratch rather than involve a wavebird.