Component assistance (basic problems)

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
Arcyday

Component assistance (basic problems)

Post by Arcyday » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:25 pm

Hi everybody,

Not a completely tech savvy guy, I understand most of the basics of things and I also know how to use a google engine. An issue that google hasn't been able to solve for me is as follows....

I have bought a gamecube from America along with a few classic games and controllers and so on so forth that I remember from back in the day. As I have moved back to Australia with the gamecube and have bought an Australian power pack I am now dealing with the issues of the component av cable. The chord worked fine through my tv in America which had a red/white/yellow port to plug the three lines into. But in Australia i have a new samsung UHDTV (Samsung MU6100) and there is no three line y/w/r (yeah I don't know it's official name). But it does have an av aux to rgb or whatever it's called. And although it does acknowledge a connection and sometimes goes black and slight sound. But it definitely doesn't work and a message comes up saying "mode not supported! change the resolution on the external device".

So that's why I'm here what should I do what is the most affordable suggestion?

Also have tried using it on a cheap projector and allthough it works with the aux to y/w/r that the projector came with. It's super fuzzy and skippy and jumpy which I'm sure are all technical terms.

Thanks
Extrems

Re: Component assistance (basic problems)

Post by Extrems » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:37 pm

That's composite, not component.
novenary

Post by novenary » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:33 pm

GCvideo is what you need, it will output a high quality HDMI signal from your GC and supports progressive scan modes.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:49 am

Arcyday wrote:But it does have an av aux to rgb or whatever it's called. And although it does acknowledge a connection and sometimes goes black and slight sound. But it definitely doesn't work and a message comes up saying "mode not supported! change the resolution on the external device".
Sounds like you have something like this:

These aren't great at making a good connection even when new so the problem most likely lies in this cable. You could try a cheap Composite to HDMI adapter from eBay to hold you over until GCVideoX by badassconsoles (don't fry your GameCube with the current "plug and play" component video to hdmi connectors by being impatient).
count.zero

Post by count.zero » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:41 am

Hi, USA gamecube should output NTSC composite. Your TV probably accept only PAL composite. Check on your TV manual if there is a RGB input and, if it's present, buy a PAL gamecube in Australia, with the RGB cable (that doesn't work on NTSC cubes) and you will enjoy a good image quality for cheap (also buy a modchip so you can load NTSC games).

Workaround: check if your TV has an option to switch to NTSC composite input (some TV do that natively, other have a function hidden somewhere).

Or go for the hdmi mod as others suggested.
boredomca

Post by boredomca » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:33 am

Would bypassing/disabling the lockout chip solve this?
dilav

Post by dilav » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:44 am

Samsung likes to use those TRS/TRRS connectors like emu_kidid's picture. If you have the yellow in the green connector and not get a picture, it's just possible the TV doesn't support the NTSC video format.
novenary

Post by novenary » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:44 am

boredomca wrote:Would bypassing/disabling the lockout chip solve this?
What the flying fuck are you talking about?
boredomca

Post by boredomca » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:02 am

Streetwalker wrote:
boredomca wrote:Would bypassing/disabling the lockout chip solve this?
What the flying fuck are you talking about?

Sorry referring to the R5 as lockout chip, well I think it's the R5 of the system he is talking about.
I was asking if a region mod would do anything to help the video output, just in a very simplified way.
novenary

Post by novenary » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:46 pm

NTSC mode is the same regardless of region, all you can do with that resistor is make the IPL boot in Japanese instead of English.
There is also no region lockout on the GameCube, games check what region the console is when inserted and pretend nothing happened if it doesn't match. That only takes one byte in the disc header to fix.
boredomca

Post by boredomca » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:08 pm

Thank you. You're the best, A #1