gamecube component cable short. need advice.

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
jacob...

gamecube component cable short. need advice.

Post by jacob... » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:37 am

Hello, i just picked up a set of component cables that were listed "as-is sometimes work sometimes dont"

when i recieved them they work ok but seem to have a short or break in the wire near the component connections. the video works great if i apply pressure to the area in the pic below.

so my thought is can i cut the entire end off maybe 4 inches below where the short is. be able to reuse this peice (the circled item in the picture below) in any way to keep the wire looking as oem as possible?

is it possible to dissect the cable and keep this piece in tact to slide back over my solder connections? looking for some first hand experience before i start chopping up the cord.

thanks for any input and advice.
novenary

Re: gamecube component cable short. need advice.

Post by novenary » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:39 am

You won't be able to keep that part, it is molded over the cable during manufacturing.
dilav

Re: gamecube component cable short. need advice.

Post by dilav » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:57 am

I have to agree, I tried to save a molded strain relief piece once and I tried drilling/melting a hole to slide over the cable and it was a huge pain and that was a relatively short area.
There's quite a few people converting the cables, I'm sure you can find some images of what others have done.

This was the only one I recall seeing here, and it was quite well done with just shrink tubing.
viewtopic.php?t=1415
Perhaps you could also clip a ferrite core over it to hide it.