Swiss Question

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
namesbond

Swiss Question

Post by namesbond » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:20 pm

Hello,

I'm pretty new to the forum. So my current setup is a Gamecube with Viper GC flashed with Streetwalker's IPL to autoboot into Swiss on Memory Card B. I have an official Nintendo SD Gecko and a 128GB Sandisk Ultra Class 10 SD Card.

My question is about the limitations of Swiss + SD Gecko. I know that the Memory card slot can only transfer something like 3mbs. So I'm wondering if the ongoing development of Swiss will likely make the incompatible and choppy games work using the SD method or is a ODE or something similar the only way to get full compatibility in the future?
novenary

Re: Swiss Question

Post by novenary » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:38 pm

In most cases, bugs and choppiness are both related to the high CPU requirement to read from SD cards. DMA will be unavailable without extra hardware which would be way too costly compared to a drive emulator which can achieve much higher throughput and solves the problem of actually booting homebrew at the same time.
The current state is "good enough" if you're on the cheap. What can be fixed will of course be fixed eventually.
namesbond

Re: Swiss Question

Post by namesbond » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:19 pm

Okay, sounds good!