Wavebird Controller Pinout to Transmitter/Receiver

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
Jayhawker33

Wavebird Controller Pinout to Transmitter/Receiver

Post by Jayhawker33 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:53 pm

So after getting a couple gamecube bundles, I now have more wavebird controllers than receivers. I have a couple that I would be willing to experiment on. I was wondering if it was possible to turn them into wired controllers as there are so many extra on the market and the receivers are more expensive than the controllers (and the price of gamecube controllers keep climbing, but the wavebird bare controllers are CHEAP) .

I have assumed that the controllers operate like a normal gamecube controller (minus the rumble), then at the very end sends the controller data through the transmitter to the receiver plugged into the console. Does anyone know the points on the wavebird controller board where the controller data enters the transmitter? In theory if you cut those points and the power coming from the batteries and soldered up a repair cord/controller extension cord onto the points, couldn't you make a wired controller out of it?

I would love to try but I don't know where those points are (data, power, ground, etc) to hook to the cord to try. Does anyone have any knowledge of this? I have searched and searched but so far have found nothing.

Thanks!
novenary

Re: Wavebird Controller Pinout to Transmitter/Receiver

Post by novenary » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:11 pm

That's impossible, the controller in there is a single chip and it's different from the regular ones.
Jayhawker33

Post by Jayhawker33 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:54 pm

Streetwalker wrote:That's impossible, the controller in there is a single chip and it's different from the regular ones.
I highly doubt they designed a completely new architecture/design for the signal used for the button presses compared to the originals. It has to be on there somewhere, the question is just where.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:21 pm

Jayhawker33

Post by Jayhawker33 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:24 pm

Extrems wrote:https://github.com/CFSworks/wavebird-reversing

And they did just that.
What in the... Why would they do all that over-engineering? Seems like such a waste
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:38 pm

This is standard stuff for RF. And it makes sense if you know how GameCube controllers work.
novenary

Post by novenary » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:15 am

For what it's worth, that information could at least be used to make your own receiver.