Hi, about Serial port 2 USB for Swiss, any chance?

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
Ikewise

Re: Hi, about Serial port 2 USB for Swiss, any chance?

Post by Ikewise » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:18 pm

To see the masters of GC hacking finally tackle the serial port 2.

Real epic, going to keep an eye on this.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:35 pm

BimboBoop wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:31 am
The only thing I found could be improved is if the SD card port itself goes closer to the Serial Port 2 Cover's Side hole.
You can remote-wire the µSD slot wherever you fancy (still, the shorter the cables, the better). ;)
Aleron Ives wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:49 am
If I might ask a dumb question, what's the point of using that port when SD adapters already exist for memory card port B? Is serial port 2 faster or going to give you a way to launch Swiss without needing to use a game exploit every time you boot the system (or Xeno + Swiss DVD-R)? It seems like a redundant solution...
AFAIK the speed may be the same as the SP2 is an EXI port, but it will free up the B memcard slot for the games that need: A dance mat, a Microphone, a second memcard, Nintendo's own SD card adaptor…
BimboBoop wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:54 am
Emukidid, when you mentioned this, do you were thinking in terms of reading speed? or maybe just GB size ? Cause if the speed is not a factor , what about using a USB to SD adapter plugged there at the side's hole of the SP 2? I am figuring an usb connector there will be easiest to find the plug by touch than placing a small micro SD, But of course if Using an external secondary adapter or the USB speed itself is the problem please let me know.
It is a matter of physical connections and logical behavior, SD cards can be used in SPI mode, that is very close to EXI, and much of the work has already been done hacking the Memcard slots. Using USB would need additionnal interfacing hardware, programming almost from scratch, and added slowdownds due to protocol-specific behavior.

Sorry if these answers seem redundant, but original answers didn't seem to be understood the way they were wrote, many people here are not familiar with english.

Extrems/EmuKidid: Has someone already succeeded or trying to code a DoLauncher for SP2, or do we still need to first boot SWISS/GBI/EmGBA off the Slot B first?
I was planning to buy a second WiiSD for my second GC, maybe I would be better get that SP2 adapter and help testing what you code?
Link from the github to buy kits is dead, tell us if somebody orders a PCB batch. (I'm gonna see if I can group with somebody in France not to ruin the cost only because of huge shipping fees).
Overclocked DMG
AGB/supercard miniSD
DS Fat/NeoMK3 2006 512Mb
DS Lite/flashme V8noautostealth/Supercard miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GBP/WiiSD+Gamexploit
RVL 001/RGB/CMP/WiiSD
BimboBoop

Post by BimboBoop » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:19 am

Papy.G wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:35 pm
BimboBoop wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:31 am
The only thing I found could be improved is if the SD card port itself goes closer to the Serial Port 2 Cover's Side hole.
You can remote-wire the µSD slot wherever you fancy (still, the shorter the cables, the better). ;)
Aleron Ives wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:49 am
If I might ask a dumb question, what's the point of using that port when SD adapters already exist for memory card port B? Is serial port 2 faster or going to give you a way to launch Swiss without needing to use a game exploit every time you boot the system (or Xeno + Swiss DVD-R)? It seems like a redundant solution...
AFAIK the speed may be the same as the SP2 is an EXI port, but it will free up the B memcard slot for the games that need: A dance mat, a Microphone, a second memcard, Nintendo's own SD card adaptor…
BimboBoop wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:54 am
Emukidid, when you mentioned this, do you were thinking in terms of reading speed? or maybe just GB size ? Cause if the speed is not a factor , what about using a USB to SD adapter plugged there at the side's hole of the SP 2? I am figuring an usb connector there will be easiest to find the plug by touch than placing a small micro SD, But of course if Using an external secondary adapter or the USB speed itself is the problem please let me know.
It is a matter of physical connections and logical behavior, SD cards can be used in SPI mode, that is very close to EXI, and much of the work has already been done hacking the Memcard slots. Using USB would need additionnal interfacing hardware, programming almost from scratch, and added slowdownds due to protocol-specific behavior.

Sorry if these answers seem redundant, but original answers didn't seem to be understood the way they were wrote, many people here are not familiar with english.

Extrems/EmuKidid: Has someone already succeeded or trying to code a DoLauncher for SP2, or do we still need to first boot SWISS/GBI/EmGBA off the Slot B first?
I was planning to buy a second WiiSD for my second GC, maybe I would be better get that SP2 adapter and help testing what you code?
Link from the github to buy kits is dead, tell us if somebody orders a PCB batch. (I'm gonna see if I can group with somebody in France not to ruin the cost only because of huge shipping fees).
Dude thanks for the answer. I was thinking also about how to grab an SDSP2 for myself. I hope at some point someone could sell it on a fair price. People from South America like me, cant pay prices like 150 , 200 US - EU, so easily cause the big currency change. If you are able to grab some of them, at future, please let me know. I have family at France so maybe I could buy you one without too much shipping issues.

About remoting the SD slot, I founded a nice micro SD extenders at ebay, for a couple of bucks. Sadly, since the micro SD port at the SD SP2 ends in vertical after is installed, it seem it would not work either for practical purposes, so maybe I will have to figure another way soldering cables. But I think it could be a good chance to just change the board desing in order the SD card at least goes horizontal right? I am picturing my Gamceube with a small SD port at the natural side Hole of the Serial Port 2 and it still sounds like the best idea for me.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:40 am

Papy.G wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:35 pm
Extrems has already added support for SP2SD to GBI, I'll add support to Swiss soon. I'm waiting for WinterMute to accept my PR (of the changes made by Extrems) to offically support SD cards via SP2, for now while I add support to Swiss I'll need to use my libOGC fork.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:45 am

BimboBoop wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:19 am
Dude thanks for the answer. I was thinking also about how to grab an SDSP2 for myself. I hope at some point someone could sell it on a fair price. People from South America like me, cant pay prices like 150 , 200 US - EU, so easily cause the big currency change. If you are able to grab some of them, at future, please let me know. I have family at France so maybe I could buy you one without too much shipping issues.

About remoting the SD slot, I founded a nice micro SD extenders at ebay, for a couple of bucks. Sadly, since the micro SD port at the SD SP2 ends in vertical after is installed, it seem it would not work either for practical purposes, so maybe I will have to figure another way soldering cables. But I think it could be a good chance to just change the board desing in order the SD card at least goes horizontal right? I am picturing my Gamceube with a small SD port at the natural side Hole of the Serial Port 2 and it still sounds like the best idea for me.
The form factor doesn't suit me, neither the extenders, as you stated, so i'm gonna try to make a home-made one, to try at first, until an angled one is available (if I'm too slow to design one myself).
I see what you mean, with spring-loaded µSD reader, and a custom-designed cover with the dedicated slot.

Emu Kidid> There are some adapters, as the SD Gecko, WiiKey, WiiSD (that share the same PCB with WiiKey) and maybe others that are only plain cabling, with no components, not even a little Cap on the 3,3v/Vss, and it doesn't seem to make a big difference.

I'm trying to make an adapter, and was wondering if the cable lenght (less than 10cm) will fire up the need of a cap?
Is it a de-coupling cap? So it has to be soldered between +3,3v and GND, as close as possible of the SD card slot contacts?

Then, for testing purpose, I need my setup as usual, plus the SD2SP2 with the roms on its card, and once emGBA is launched from the SD gecko, I'll load roms off the SD2SP2's card?
Overclocked DMG
AGB/supercard miniSD
DS Fat/NeoMK3 2006 512Mb
DS Lite/flashme V8noautostealth/Supercard miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GBP/WiiSD+Gamexploit
RVL 001/RGB/CMP/WiiSD