RF modulator and HDTVs

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
Papy.G

RF modulator and HDTVs

Post by Papy.G » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:10 am

Hello, I may need an RF modulator for my GameCube to setup a multi-console display on one screen, since my TV only accept P&P with an "hd" source (HDMI/VGA/CMP) on a side, and the receiver DVB/Analog on the other side.

Before buying that modulator, I want to know how does it perform with today HDTVs, because I have an old pong and the image quality this way is very crappy.
dualdisp.jpg
Example with a '76 pong console
(147.77 KiB) Not downloaded yet
No need to be hyper crisp, but has to render GBI at 3x zoom clean enough to be readable/playable.

I would love to find someone with a pal system in a pal region to confirm that colors, especially, renders fine (in France, and most Europe countries, we had Pal consoles, although TV broadcast was in SECAM. :evil:

We may also start a topic about playing multiple source on one big screen if you know other options, that doesn't cost $1000 or more (like HDMI multiplexers). If it's the case, maybe the topic would be better in the General/Gaming section.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Diminuendo

Re: RF modulator and HDTVs

Post by Diminuendo » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:43 pm

Any analogue RF modulator will do, analogue video converters rarely add lag - the only real difference is quality. Nintendo has an official one of GC, N64, and SNES which converts composite. While composite is sub optimal the GBAs low pixel density and limited color pallet should reduce the noticeable quality difference. If your TV supports it I recommend 240p.

also protip -make sure GBI is outputting in 4:3, you'll fill more of the screen that way.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:40 pm

Yes, I know it is almost passive components that may not add lag over the TV's digitizer's.
I would love to be able to test before buying, there is a MadCatz one, additionnally Xbox and PS2 compatible, though I don't know if it's better or worse than Nintendo's. I'll probably end up seeking for Nintendo's one for less than 10€.
I'm afraid that the 240p may not be supported, as I stated there, we had some weidernesses in europe implying old TV standards and new LCD panels. I may end up seeing in black and white, if I can see anything at all!
Anyways, to be able to zoom to integer 3x, I have to settle to interlaced modes, and my TV already messes the fields in 240p via RGB, so….
I'm tending to set GBI to 3:2, but haven't tried much of the other options by the way, I'll give it a try.

Thanks
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:15 pm

Please don't distort the aspect ratio. Use 4:3 for a 4:3 display and 16:9 for a 16:9 display.
Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:48 pm

Extrems wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:15 pm
Please don't distort the aspect ratio. Use 4:3 for a 4:3 display and 16:9 for a 16:9 display.
I'm not suggesting distorting it, but a side by side picture in picture at 4:3 fills more vertical resolution on a widescreen TV than 16:9, which uses exactly half the vertical resolution. OPs image shows that their TVs PIP does not affect the aspect ratio.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:05 pm

This is more aimed at "I'm tending to set GBI to 3:2".
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:12 pm

Extrems wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:15 pm
I tend to use 3:2 since it fills the entire video signal (thus screen) zoomed at 3x in 480i, and doesn't distort that much either in 4:3 or in 16:9. :oops:
Diminuendo wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:48 pm
I'm not suggesting distorting it, but a side by side picture in picture at 4:3 fills more vertical resolution on a widescreen TV than 16:9, which uses exactly half the vertical resolution. OPs image shows that their TVs PIP does not affect the aspect ratio.
I hadn't caught what you were meaning at first. :?
Unfortunately, the P&P option forces/stretches any source to 16:9, and locks any ratio settings, as can be seen on the picture, it won't take advantage of the extra space to display a 4:3 source taller. The ideal for my wanted setup would have been one big 4:3 full height, and three other little ones stacked on one side. 8-)

Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:37 pm

Extrems wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:05 pm
This is more aimed at "I'm tending to set GBI to 3:2".
My mistake. Do what Extrems says.