received this the other day

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
Jade1975

received this the other day

Post by Jade1975 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:04 pm

Papy.G

Re: received this the other day

Post by Papy.G » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:02 pm

There are some people that are building assembled kits off open-source projects, we can see populated Shuriken Video card and IDE-EXI on TaoBao as well, I was wondering about that, and your topic popped just at the right time!
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
dilav

Post by dilav » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:19 am

Print quality looks meh, it is very cheap though especially for all the work in assembling that.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:06 am

Yes, but if the thing just works, and CMS components only needs a little reflow here and there, it is far less hassle than assembling one home. Still, precisions are needed to know if it supports the full GCVideo enhancements, or is it only a "lite" one.
Edit: Looking on the site and comments, seems that it has IR receiver.
For me, 3D printing is just crap anyways, so crappiest is not a big concern as far as the housing doesn't crumble in parts.
In fact, it does look very similar to Zeldaxpro's GC Video Plugn'play V3.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:44 am

Well, I ordered one to be able to talk about it, and it came quite fast (by air mail, took 10 days to come), it has GC Video version 2.4c on it.
As expected, the main housing is terrible, but the connector has been way more precisely made, and has separation between pins, both are 3D printed plastic.

I can't say much about the inside, as mine has strong glue around the connector sticking it to the two blue parts, and I don't want to risk breaking it unless it is not working. It's a downside, since one has to live with the 2.4c version of the firmware, or risk breaking the unit.

In terms of functionnality, the connector fits nicely in the console's port, and the thing just works as it should.
The design with mini-HDMI connector inline makes the full setup quite long and I fear bad things can happen if one doesn't take care enough of not putting much constraint on the wire, but many alternatives suffer the same caveats.
Unfortunately, I have to turn the TV on and select HDMI all by hand, compared to the RGB cable solution waking up the TV and selecting the source automatically, blame on the HDMI specs.

Other complaints I can see are much more firmware related and won't be discussed here.

Little update:
! The metal used in the connector is not conductive nor pressing enough to ensure contact if you move the thing while using.
The sensitivity of the IR receiver is very good, I can use the remote from the place I play without issue, and even with the console in the wooden furniture (well, door open), I can't figure out where it reflects, but it works!

One more update:
Bending the pins in the connector, and above all, cleaning that dirty connector that did nothing but collecting dust for over fifteen years, dramatically reduced the occurence of black screen, even when moving the cable.
The lag of my TV dropped from 3,5 to 1,5 frame compared to RGB.

HyperGameCube

Post by HyperGameCube » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:03 pm

That was interesting read, thanks. I was just thinking in ordering one for my GC and was wondering about how it works and quality. As for not being able to openi t..that's strange...i saw revisions of product on AliExpress and people managed to open it effortlessly.

Also what do you mean by "2.4c version of the firmware" adapter has a firmware?? i didn't know a adapter needs a firmware i mean..it just transmits picture right??

Also, can you please share the seller you bought it from, d like to buy from that one also. :)
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:35 pm

I got the one without the cable, since I already had one, from Gamers Zone Store. Some may have missed the Glue step in the process, ask for it not to be glued, to be sure.
Admins: May the seller not be presented here on the boards, cut that part of the post.

This adapter has a processing logic, since the DAV signal off the console is not exactly in the HDMI standard, but I recently ran lag tests on many displays to tell you, there is no noticeable lag. So it has a firmware, and the 2.4c version is not bad and I'll probably stick to it.
In fact, I was told before that the thing has just too few memory to show a lag of no more than three lines (when linedoubling is activated), TVS often add lag that are more close to units of full frames anyways!