Mod Spotlight - Yet Another XenoGC Clone

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
SkydivinGirl

Mod Spotlight - Yet Another XenoGC Clone

Post by SkydivinGirl » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:52 pm

When I recently started modding my GameCube, I was learning about all the different mods available. Even though I have a Wasp Fusion installed, I still wanted to mod the drive to work with burned discs without having to use Swiss to boot them. After a little searching, it seemed like the XenoGC, or one of the many clones, was the way to go.

Since I like building the mods that I use, I went to OshPark's Shared Projects page and found a couple XenoGC clones available. I decided to go with one that was simply called 'Yet Another XenoGC Clone' by jskyboo. It's a XenoGC Clone with ISP header.

https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/xMGxuRYX

I chose this version because I liked how it attached to the drive PCB better than the other options. However, on two of the three drives that I modified, I had to move or rotate a surface mount capacitor as they were in the way of the bottom right side of the PCB. In the attached picture, you can see a wire going from one capacitor to another just under the right side of the mod PCB. That capacitor was factory installed with a solder blob to the other capacitor and connected to a via. Odd, but easy to move.

I know the XenoGC has been around forever but this is the only mod I saw that had all the solder points together like this. The only downside was that the PCB is bigger than other XenoGC mods. I couldn't find any pictures so I figured I'd share this neat design with everyone.

Heather
Attachments
YAGCM.jpg
(458.42 KiB) Not downloaded yet
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Mod Spotlight - Yet Another XenoGC Clone

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:45 am

Interesting clone - hadn't heard of it until now. How's the thickness of the PCB on this one, is it wafer thin to make it easier?
SkydivinGirl

Re: Mod Spotlight - Yet Another XenoGC Clone

Post by SkydivinGirl » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:34 pm

I had the PCBs made with 0.8mm thickness so it ended up being nice and thin. I also used a soldering braid to make the existing solder on the DVD PCB flush . This let me get the clone PCB right against the DVD PCB. I was really happy with the results but, as I said, I had to move capacitors on two of the three drives that I did so this design could probably use a little adjusting. Still, I was very happy with the results.

Heather