GCPlug Information - Inc firmware updates

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
cpenny1

Re: GCPlug Information - Inc firmware updates

Post by cpenny1 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:42 pm

Cant even get my programmer to detect the chip, i end up with no data just $ff, I have bridged the pad so it cant be that.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:36 pm

I think the memory chips on Chinese GCPlugs may come from mis-labelled stock, so we don't get the right protocol when we try to communicate with them. :cry:
To those wo succeeded, what's the reference labelled on yours, and what reference the flashing software detected/used to flash it?

As GCPlug's update is made via SPI, and Gamecube has 2 or 3 SPI ports, why won't we get an updater utility on the Cube, so we just have to build the cable? Building a male SP2 connector is easy, I already did one for my SD2SP2 with a plastic tab (from a yoghurt cup edge) and adhesive metal sheet (copper), while getting all the stuff and software up and running on a PC can be such a headache.

And why would we need to short the pads when writing to the chip with a 8pin SOIC clip? Doesn't the clip do its job?
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Flo0306

Post by Flo0306 » Sat May 09, 2020 3:04 pm

Hello guys, I am new on this forum.
First of all, thank you everyone for all the support, information I found here. I just wanted to let you know that I have recently bought a GCPlug on AliExpress (arrived this week) and the firmware was version 3.0a which means that it should be possible to get it updated easily with any homebrew launcher like Swiss. I know some of you struggled to get their GCPlug updated to a 3.X version with an hardware solution, you might be interested by this.
If ever, you are in the same situation than me, let me know if you succeed to update it with the .dol file because it did not worked, nothing happen when I boot the .dol file and I go to the update menu on the GCPlug. It did not recognise the firmware. I have also noticed that it is not possible to access to the GCPlug menu through the controller by holding L, R, X, Y. Did someone experienced the same thing ? I don’t know if all of this is due to the hardware solution used on the plug ?!
DOL001(EUR)/GCPlug/SD2SP2/Softmod
WALFER

Post by WALFER » Mon May 25, 2020 3:43 pm

I just received my gcplug with 3.0a firmware from aliexpress and i successfully updated it to 3.0e from swiss launching the 3.0e dol :D
Chaves

Post by Chaves » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:43 pm

My gcplug arrived but apparently it doesn't work. I already cleaned the digital output! I already opened the console and saw nothing wrong. I changed the cable and nothing changes. My gamecube is DOL-002 and works well with the analog output. Could it be a defect in my gamecube or a defect in gcplug or am I doing something wrong? How to know? Help please!!

Sorry, I don't write in english very well.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:50 pm

GCVideo-DVI struggles with PAL-M, you need software outputting NTSC.
Chaves

Post by Chaves » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:09 pm

Can be this software the swiss?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:44 pm

Yeah, I've made the necessary change in r906 and later.
Chaves

Post by Chaves » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:25 pm

Thank you very very much!!! It is working!!! I m very happy!!! :)
Chaves

Post by Chaves » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:26 am

Hi! Is it possible to change ipl from pal m to ntsc only by software?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:34 pm

Negative.
Chaves

Post by Chaves » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:30 pm

Ok. Thank you!
KirovAir

Post by KirovAir » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:29 am

WALFER wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 3:43 pm
I just received my gcplug with 3.0a firmware from aliexpress and i successfully updated it to 3.0e from swiss launching the 3.0e dol :D
Just wanted to add I managed to update mine too using the dol, something I wouldn't expect to work. Got mine for €35 which is an absolute bargain.
"The only thing more dangerous than a hardware guru with a code patch is a programmer with a soldering iron."
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:28 am

Extrems> With launching through IPL, can one get correct display on PAL-M consoles, or does it re-launch from internal rom, without those specific NTSC video patches?

There is a new GC-video plug and play, that seems to have the carby quality level, with metal surrounded plug, and not 3D print case, at a lower price.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:10 pm

It's patched to NTSC.
Chaves

Post by Chaves » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:54 pm

Chaves wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:43 pm
My gcplug arrived but apparently it doesn't work. I already cleaned the digital output! I already opened the console and saw nothing wrong. I changed the cable and nothing changes. My gamecube is DOL-002 and works well with the analog output. Could it be a defect in my gamecube or a defect in gcplug or am I doing something wrong? How to know? Help please!!

Sorry, I don't write in english very well.
Congratulations!! The New version of swiss help me very much!!

Sorry to return this subject. My gcplug is working!
But my gamecube is PAL M, so my solution was lauching by analogic output and when swiss starts, I use digital output with gcplug. But it is boring!! (I use exploit!)
Is there other solution?
Can I convert to ntsc (hardware changes)? Is it hard?
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:50 am

Your best bet would be to use an exploit that doesn't need any menu browsing, such as the Zelda ones, so you don't have to see what's happening befor SWISS is loaded.
Otherwise, get an extra NTSC or PAL cube.

Chaves

Post by Chaves » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:23 am

Ok. Thanks! I use 007 underfire. I have to click load. Really I need to see the menu.
Well, I have always wished a indigo cube.... maybe... :)
Flo0306

Post by Flo0306 » Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:06 pm

Hello all,
I'm just re-opening this discussion since I saw some of you have been able to update their GCPlug with the .dol updater from GCVideo.
I understood a fix have been made on Swiss since r906. I did not catch if the fix has been made to make the updater works on PAL Gamecube or just to fix some display issues ?
Personally, I never had any issues to make the GCPlug work on my Gamecube, it is just the updater tool that always show "No compatible firmware found" despite the fact I open the correct menu on the plug and launch the .dol on Swiss.
I use the Mario Sunshine Exploit to run Swiss. I don't know if Softmod exploits have limitations.... Does anyone have an idea ?
Thanks for all.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:00 am

What's your current GCplug FW version?

Flo0306

Post by Flo0306 » Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:23 am

The firmware is 3.0a
Flo0306

Post by Flo0306 » Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:04 am

I’ve just received a feedback from the GCvideo dev. It seems my GCPlug firmware has been modified from the original one which makes the updater tool not compatible… I bought mine from AliExpress (model with blue plastic cover). Which model do you use guys ?
dilav

Post by dilav » Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:29 pm

Sounds about right. The firmware was complied by different people as it wasn't being complied and posted in the main repo until some later 3.0 firmware. It may not be a deliberate modification and it's possible the only difference would be the HWID number that was chosen doesn't match up with what's on the updater.

I'd reprogram it with an external SPI programmer.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:05 am

Flo0306 wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:04 am
I bought mine from AliExpress (model with blue plastic cover). Which model do you use guys ?
Same model as yours, but stuck to 2,4x as long as I don't find a SPI programmer able to flash it correctly.

Flo0306

Post by Flo0306 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:24 am

I've finally been able to get my GCPlug updated.
The issue was exactly the one suspected. The original firmware was modified from ikorb project.
GCPlug is based on Citrus3000psi and Unseen project and I found the right place to get the file :

Project : https://www.printables.com/fr/model/141 ... dmi-dongle
Firmwares : http://dansprojects.com/firmware/GCPlug/

As mine was in 3.0a, I was able to use the updated-3.1.dol file and it worked !

By the way, thank you for your reply and may be this issue will help others guys who are in the same situation.
Papy.G : if one day you are able to get a SPI programmer you can find the .bin files to reprogram yours.