GB Player Consolizer

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
Papy.G

GB Player Consolizer

Post by Papy.G » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:46 am

Don't know wether this topic may better be in Handhelds, as the GBPlayer is traditionnally Gamecube based, and the consolizer concept is to make a TV game console off an handheld so…

I was wondering why the consolizer concept hasn't been ported to GBPlayer, as it would be a way not to sacrifice GBAs, and use GBPlayers without the need of a Gamecube.
For someone who already has a GameCube, and has all the needed stuff set up, it doesn't quite make sense, but for someone who doesn't care about the GameCube, or just want a second GBPlayer, it may be an interesting alternative.

If you consider that you need a Gamecube ($25), the way to run homebrew (~$15), an HDMI out device (from ~$40), and a Raphnet SNES adapter (~$25), Can't something be done for this price or less?
Sure, you can play without HDMI device and with the GameCube controller on the GameCube, but SNES controller provides more proper control and layout over GC controller, and HDMI is the new video standard, as well as both is what the consolizer basically does.

Also, I don't precisely know the technical needs behind this solution, but is the GBPlayer data stream much different from the GBA LCD Bus? Does it add any lag? Will it need much bigger processing power to handle than what already handles GCVideo? I suspect scanning a Controller at the top of that wouldn't be a big deal.

What do you all think, as potential custommer/user, or as an advanced GC/FPGA programmer about this idea?

For myself, as I already have a handful of GC and GBPlayers, I wouldn't buy such a thing for over $75, and find the current GBA consolizer overpriced, but i'm not using my GBPlayer for competitive playing anyways (my TV input lag prevents this use).

One of the GBA consolizer argument is: "The adapter adds almost no input lag (20 GBA lines of latency) and can be considered a lagless solution. More importantly, it does not suffer from stutter when a game is scrolling vertically or horizontally. This is because the GBA Consolizer is frame-locked to the Game Boy Advance and as a result no frames need to be dropped"
Isn't there a GBI version that adress this issue?
Also, the HDMI LCDs, no matter TV or Computer display tend to use their own output frequency, and can't be straight synchronized to signal, as was the case with CRTs, so this argument sounds useless to me.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
novenary

Re: GB Player Consolizer

Post by novenary » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:56 am

It can definitely be done, and wouldn't require hacking up any hardware. The FPGA board can be expensive but it's very likely it can be made cheaper than the GBA consolizer, the question is more whether anyone would be willing to sell it for cheaper (BOM-wise it'd be quite similar). These things are built by hobbyists in low volumes, so it's normal that they ask for appropriate compensation. The thing is GBPs are rarer and more expensive, while you can get a "broken" GBA for cheap to consolize it. It's also a simpler design as far as the FPGA firmware goes.
meneerbeer

Post by meneerbeer » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:11 am

If you can make it plug-and-play it would be an interesting alternative. The biggest limitation imo would be the fact that synchronizing the HDMI framerate and GB framerate would result in a non-standard HDMI output rate. It would probably still work on a lot of TVs though.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:34 pm

Streetwalker> Yes, I know that's a lot of work, and don't deny it, but it's the fact that compared to what is already available to play GBA on a TV, It's a little more expensive. So now there already is the GBA version, it may not be worth the effort, every potential buyer is probably equipped.
GBPs are rarer but nonetheless the prices a dropping down and GBAs are getting up and on so they meet at the $20 mark these days. The evident advantage of the GBA way is that in case of an add-on mod, you already have the original controls and don't need to buy an extra controller.

Meneerbeer> The advantage of the GBP is its exposed connector, that's perfect for a plug-and-play solution, as long as we can source a compatible plug.
I don't know about the GB framerate details compared to HDMI standards, but as it is advertised for the GBA version, I don't know why it wouldn't be able to do it on a GBP with no frame drop too. Unless it is a fake claim or the GBP memory bus is already desynchronised with the framerate?
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
meneerbeer

Post by meneerbeer » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:22 pm

Iirc, the gb consolizer reclocks the GBA to make the HDMI framerate compliant to the specs. I think the gb player probably has its own internal clock. If you want to do the same trick, that would require more advanced modding.
count.zero

Post by count.zero » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:33 am

IIRC the gbaplayer has inside a standard gba chip. The "magic" happens in another chip (gbs-dol). So you can use a gbaplayer mainboard as a base for an hdmi consolization but it's pointless. The chip inside it's exactly the same. Also the hi-speed port connector it's impossible to find, unless you want to cannibalize a gamecube.