Component on DOL-101

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
Slim95x

Component on DOL-101

Post by Slim95x » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:17 pm

Has anyone tried adding component to the dol-101 gamecube? I've found very little info online, a few posts and pictures of the AV chip's pinout, but unfortunately thats not enough. Maybe there's a more in depth post around somewhere?
Attachments
avendolpinout_zps7ecfbc57.jpg
(72.03 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Diego borella

Re: Component on DOL-101

Post by Diego borella » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:23 pm

recently, Dan from citrus3000pSi was able to develop a minimal PCB that adds a digital output to NGC 101. :mrgreen:
here on the forum there seems to be no discussions that I know of.

already exists, I don't know MOD homebrew, just for the citrus3000pSi project :!:

however, I am far from having a gamecube cable component, so I just watch. :roll:
Attachments
DigitAL 101.jpg
(41.03 KiB) Not downloaded yet
SWISS USER :geek:
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:26 am

Wiring the AV port is pretty much straightforward from internal video generator, so if you can solder an edge connector with the right spacing, you're set up to connect any Digital AV cable.
To only add component, the cheaper way would be to rip the Wii's video generator off a spare unit, and solder it in the cube, while the Wii's chip may not be the better performer for such a task, if you care about GCVideo's features.

Diego what is the extra plug you have at the back of your Dol-101? :shock:
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Diego borella

Post by Diego borella » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:11 pm

this is a p3 plug for the AV.
while the component is adapted to the old AV input.
It was what I understood.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:18 am

It is yours?
I personally would have rather used the "R,G,B" pins (as is done in the Wii) to keep the compatibility with the original AV cable, as there is no use for those pins on NTSC cubes, unless this mod adds RGB too.
Still, that mod seems quite clean, genuine looking!
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Diego borella

Post by Diego borella » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:59 pm

Papy.G wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:26 am
Wiring the AV port is pretty much straightforward from internal video generator, so if you can solder an edge connector with the right spacing, you're set up to connect any Digital AV cable.
To only add component, the cheaper way would be to rip the Wii's video generator off a spare unit, and solder it in the cube, while the Wii's chip may not be the better performer for such a task, if you care about GCVideo's features.

Diego what is the extra plug you have at the back of your Dol-101? :shock:
is not mine... :roll:
this is the console with the new digital mod 101.
yes, very clean and genuine. but it seems to be compatible with the original component only ...
how would that be with the wii chip, in the gamecube, with this mod I would be able to put the cube in progressive Scan mode? 8-)
how would it be? would you use a standard component cable?
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:54 am

The wii's video chip sucks ass thats the whole reason we are installing GCvideo's in wiis do you think people were just doing it for the hell of it. The Gamecube's video chip is twice as better as the wii's thats a fact ask anyone I spent over 100 hours doing my own mods with GCvideo and I can firmly say nintendo really cheap out on the wii's video chip

And yes you can solder right to that chip on the 101 but I don't see the 54mhz line once you find that and solder a shielded wire to it you would be good to go if you don't shied the wire it will cause the picture to flicker. Everyone now is spoiled with plug and play clones these new comers didnt know what we had to do to get the first GCvideo's working
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:25 am

Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:57 pm

Diego borella wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:59 pm
this is the console with the new digital mod 101.
yes, very clean and genuine. but it seems to be compatible with the original component only ...
how would that be with the wii chip, in the gamecube, with this mod I would be able to put the cube in progressive Scan mode? 8-)
how would it be? would you use a standard component cable?
Ok, I wasn't aware of that, and didn't notice it was the Digital AV plug replacing the Analog one, it's quite neat, while it needs fine soldering skills, and adds cost to get just a plug back and loose the RGB/S-Video ability (while the original analog AV out isn't really disabled, it can be deported anywhere else on the back panel).
It is probably compatible with every digital device you can find for Dol-001 GCs, not only the genuine Component (or even RGB for NTSC) cable. ;)

If you put the Wii Chip, you may need to use the Wii connector too, replacing the GC original one, to get composite out with composite cable, and component with appropriate Wii cable.
Or you can just force the chip to component, then expose the signal via 3 RCA plugs, or 4 contacts 3,5mm jack, keep using the GC av cable for audio through RCA too. You'll have to find a way to force Progressive scan on the GC side, either via a hard wired bridge (but it may be troublesome if you occasionally need composite out), or via Software (SWISS can do that, may someone correct me if i'm wrong).
andre104623 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:54 am
The wii's video chip sucks ass thats the whole reason we are installing GCvideo's in wiis do you think people were just doing it for the hell of it. The Gamecube's video chip is twice as better as the wii's thats a fact ask anyone I spent over 100 hours doing my own mods with GCvideo and I can firmly say nintendo really cheap out on the wii's video chip
And yes you can solder right to that chip on the 101 but I don't see the 54mhz line once you find that and solder a shielded wire to it you would be good to go if you don't shied the wire it will cause the picture to flicker. Everyone now is spoiled with plug and play clones these new comers didnt know what we had to do to get the first GCvideo's working
I assumed the main reason someone may want to install GCvideo in a Wii was to get straight digital signal to HDMI. You seem to know better than me. :?
Both 27 and 54 MHz are available in the GC, is a coax wire such as those for AV cables is sufficient, or do we need something like WiFi antennas' ?
I will never thank you enough for having put such an effort in investigating on that Video issue, but I think software misfits and "termination resistors" in the consoles are enough to explain why the Wii progressive mode is F****d up.