Xeno chip disc's

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
Njiua

Xeno chip disc's

Post by Njiua » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:03 pm

Hey guys,

I'll introduce myself some later but for now I've got a burning question.. Probably one you heard before:

What kind of disc's do you guys use for back-ups/ burned roms?

I'm about to install a xenochip so I can play homebrew and official games but I'm really wondering what kind of disc I'd should use for Swiss (or so)

Mostly I find that mini DVD-r are the best.. But compared to mini dvd+r they are quite expensive (per example dvd+ 7 euro for 10, dvd- 25 euro for 10 disc's)

Can anyone help me out?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Xeno chip disc's

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:22 pm

Njiua wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:03 pm
Hey guys,

I'll introduce myself some later but for now I've got a burning question.. Probably one you heard before:

What kind of disc's do you guys use for back-ups/ burned roms?

I'm about to install a xenochip so I can play homebrew and official games but I'm really wondering what kind of disc I'd should use for Swiss (or so)

Mostly I find that mini DVD-r are the best.. But compared to mini dvd+r they are quite expensive (per example dvd+ 7 euro for 10, dvd- 25 euro for 10 disc's)

Can anyone help me out?
Not sure if you're aware but you can use Swiss to run games from SD cards inserted into various slots (memory card port, Serial Port 2) via adaptors that will cost you less than a spindle of bad 8cm DVD-R. Unless if you're dead set on running games from DVD-R, I'd avoid it as the drive will fail fairly quickly with the less than great quality of 8cm DVD-R discs left out there in the wild. Happy to help you pursue the "how do I run Swiss" question if you should happen to wonder how it all works.
Papy.G

Re: Xeno chip disc's

Post by Papy.G » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:53 am

The xeno chip is a boot method from back in the days when you had no better option, PSOload needed much gear and time to set up, now that SD cards are big and cheap, Swiss is near perfect, and so many games can be exploited to boot homebrew, you have no good reason to hurt a GC this bad.
Papy.G wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:36 am
The Xeno chip clone beeing so cheap is a trap, as there's not much it does, that SWISS can't.
Straight boot with off-zone Discs.
Straight boot burned discs (At the expense of the laser's life…)
Run off zone discs still unsupported by SWISS*
For the price of a handful of discs, you'll get another zone GC, make the switch mode on the NTSC one and you can boot US and JAP Games, with the PAL one, you'll be able to enjoy RGB if it even matters to you.
So that rips off every reason to put a chip on a GC, plus, there are so many cool options in Swiss that you wouldn't want not to boot games through it, no matter how much time it takes to boot it, forcing progressive mode in PAL and NTSC games that don't natively offer it, stretching signal to full width... just to mame a few.
If you have a GBPlayer, you can enjoy GBA side by side with the TV (See Tingle tuner in the link in my signature, for example.), if you have two, you can enjoy two players GBA games. If you get a pair of BBAs, you can enjoy multi-console games too! (Well, that'd not exactly be cheap :p )
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)