Sp2sata

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
andre104623

Sp2sata

Post by andre104623 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:13 am

I been using my sd2sp2 for a few months now I have found myself never using my gecko anymore just for the fact that I get better speed using it especially when using ISO’s I only use it for games that my wasp fusion won’t play correctly because of audio streaming like crash bandicoot or tony hawks pro stater. It got me wondering if making an ide-exi version of the sd2sp2 if that could fix the DMA issue that has never been figured out but of course using sata because it’s almost 2021 and ide is way way dead hell it was dead in 2011 when the first design came out.

Just to remind myself how slow the ide-exi is or was I fired up my version 2 ide-exi ( the one made by mega ) and omg we have come a long way in ten years I have forgotten about the stuttering video and cracks, pops in ISO’s at least the snes and nes genesis are working fine still which it what I mainly used it for

So yea I know sd cards are way cheaper now and microsd’s are a faction of the price they used to be and come up to 1tb now but I have some love for the ide-exi and would love to see a fully fixed and working version that’s just as fast as other modern methods used today
webhdx

Re: Sp2sata

Post by webhdx » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:40 pm

I doubt it is worth further development. Let's be honest, EXI bus has its limitations. Any EXI based device won't be able to surpass GCLoader in performance. I'd love to see someone start developing an open hardware GC Loader. GCVideo is open source, FlippyBoot (IPL replacement) is no the way and it's going to be open source. We just need an open source drive emulator :)
Papy.G

Re: Sp2sata

Post by Papy.G » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:18 pm

With FlippyBoot in the place, the need for a ODE may be much lesser than ever, unless somebody comes up with an ODE not sacrificing the original disc drive.

Andre> Why would you get different speed from SP2 compared to SlotB? Do you use the same card to compare? Don't you have a bad SD2SP2 adapter?

Using a EXI/IDE/SATA chain will incredibly slow the thing at a point you'd still get better speed from an SD card, you won't get further than this, unless you use an adapter that connects to the DIsc or DMA connector (GameBoy Player's).
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)