RGB Scart -> YPbPr RCA + L R Audio adapter?

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
alzen

RGB Scart -> YPbPr RCA + L R Audio adapter?

Post by alzen » Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:23 am

I need your help here as it is rather complicated issue for me. Basically what I want to do is to connect my GC to HDMI and get decent image quality.

Some time ago I was looking for same solution for my Wii but I needed to move it to the living room now and I am left with an old Gamecube for my use. On Wii I was using 5 RCA RGB cable(3 RCA Video, 2 RCA Audio) that went to YPbPr 2 HDMI device. It was best solution so far using cables I already had.

I am aware that there are expensive adapters that produce great HDMI picture but I cannot afford spending so much on a hobby.

What I have is RGB SCART cable for GC but I need to somehow turn my RGB plug into 5 RCA plugs. To have same 5 RCA plugs as I had in the Wii case.

So my question is, are there any adapters from RGB SCART to YPbPr RCA + Audio? Or maybe there are other alternatives I do not know about that will not cost a lot and do the job offering decent quality picture?
Take a look at my YouTube channel - totally dedicated to retro shooters
Papy.G

Re: RGB Scart -> YPbPr RCA + L R Audio adapter?

Post by Papy.G » Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:14 pm

5 RCA video cables are not RGB, but some kind of YUV signal, usually called "component".

Chinese build GCPlugs are the cheapest you can go, when it comes to HDMI connection, beware of the new EU import tax laws when you'll buy from there.
If you don't need two GCs to play simultaneously, you can sell the Jap one for almost the price of a GCPlug.

Converting RGB to YUV with analog converter may end up getting worse picture than just using composite cable straight into your TV, plus, you still won't be able to get 480p, unlike with Wii YUV.

For use on modern TVs, GCVideo solutions are worth the price in terms of quality, but if you have a decent size and quality CRT, you can go on with it as well.

Seems you have specific needs, if it was me, with what you have. (PAL GC+GBPlayer+RGB+CRT, Wii+YUV+LED TV):
Play GC games in "HD" on the Wii.
Play GBPlayer on the CRT with no lag.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
alzen

Post by alzen » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:07 pm

Papy.G wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:14 pm
5 RCA video cables are not RGB, but some kind of YUV signal, usually called "component".
Probably you are right here, yet guess component is enough for me.
Papy.G wrote:
If you don't need two GCs to play simultaneously, you can sell the Jap one for almost the price of a GCPlug.
I have only one GC, it is PAL black model. Not sure about that GCPlug device as I've never heard about it and cannot seem to find it on google.
Papy.G wrote:
For use on modern TVs, GCVideo solutions are worth the price in terms of quality, but if you have a decent size and quality CRT, you can go on with it as well.
Yet but I see GCVideo requires some soldering or electrician knowledge I do not have. And CRT is not an option, I need to connect it via HDMI to my PC Monitor as I used to do with the Wii.

Honestly I need SCART socket into 5 RCA cables adapter - yet what i was about to find was SCART PLUG to 5 RCA.
Take a look at my YouTube channel - totally dedicated to retro shooters
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:12 pm

Sorry, I was distracted and mismatched topics/OPs.

GCPlug is a GCVideo device that just plugs into the DAV Port if you have a DOL-001, you may find them on e-b or alix. ;)
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)