Xeno Mod on a Japanese GC

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
Mjmonjure

Xeno Mod on a Japanese GC

Post by Mjmonjure » Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:25 am

Hi

I purchased a Japanese GC with GB player that looked near new out of the box and decided to have it chipped. After getting it back, I am getting mixed results with various games. My setup is the Japanese GC, the original Nintendo component cable with D-Sub pigtail into my Framemeister setup for 480p and outputting to a new Samsung 4k tv. I also have a US version that runs all games flawlessly, For the chipped Japanese console:

F-Zero GX - Runs perfect
US Gameboy disk - Runs perfect
Ice Age 2 - Runs perfect
Spawn - Errors out on the opening storyline screen - says to cycle the power and refer to the users manual, not sure if it means the console manual or the game manual.
Geist - Loads up, but all dialogue boxes have the text squished so close together, it can't be read.

Should I be getting differing results or should all original disks be working with the Xeno GC mod. I don't know if was wired or wireless, but have reached out to the modder to find out. Just wondering if this even sounds like a possible hardware issue with bridged pads.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Xeno Mod on a Japanese GC

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:49 am

Are the games above original or backups? If backups, it's possible the laser is going or the backups are bad (if they always error in the same spot).

I don't recall how good XenoGC is at region switching, perhaps Geist is trying to run in Japanese or is becoming confused about what region to display text in.
xybots

Post by xybots » Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:01 pm

Hi I installed a modchip in a Japanese Gamecube today, it will not read any of my Pal Gamecube games(originals), I have a Pal Gamecube and it plays all region originals.
I was wondering if a modchip can be installed in all Gamecubes, Mine is a spice orange gamecube.

thanks
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:20 pm

Did you try it with original japanese Game Discs before doing the mod?
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
xybots

Post by xybots » Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:43 pm

Papy.G wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:20 pm
Did you try it with original Japanese Game Discs before doing the mod?
Hi yes I did Japanese disks worked fine, ive even swapped the modchips over and they work, but not on the Japanese system.

Are there any differences in gamecube's to what modchips work

thanks
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:35 am

You've not installed it properly if it can't play cross region games like this.