WODE/Wiikey "plug and play" adapter installation guide.

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
User avatar
Ashen
Posts: 994
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: WODE/Wiikey "plug and play" adapter installation guide.

Post by Ashen » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:34 pm

Connections look decent enough. I realize you're still getting the clock error, which I really don't understand and will be difficult for me to diagnose. But have you tried downgrading your WODE yet to see if that fixes the error problem?
User avatar
andzlay
Posts: 439
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:53 am
Location: Germany

Re: WODE/Wiikey "plug and play" adapter installation guide.

Post by andzlay » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:00 am

Not yet... I'll try that soon and maybe then use another GC motherboard...
User avatar
andzlay
Posts: 439
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:53 am
Location: Germany

WODE/Wiikey "plug and play" adapter for rev C cube

Post by andzlay » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:30 pm

Hey Ashen, can you please post a picture where to solder in a rev C cube?
User avatar
liquitt
Posts: 1775
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:43 am
Location: neverland
Contact:

Re: WODE/Wiikey "plug and play" adapter installation guide.

Post by liquitt » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:42 pm

i got my board back from sumas, excellent soldering work!

anyway, how are you guys with a wode in your gc dealing with the original lidswitch?
it's giving me a hard time .... i have no idea where to mount it :/
so is there another way? bridging the points will not allow me to run multi disc games right?

edit: i think i know how i'll do it, expect photos soon!

but on another note: did anybody ever try an usb extension to connect a hdd to the wode?
please search before you ask - a lot has been discussed already!
(or use google with "site:gc-forever.com *term*")
http://is.gd/MDmZcr

we also have a wiki filled with knowledge
http://is.gd/dX58Rm
User avatar
megalomaniac
Posts: 2480
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:33 am
Location: Drunk in Texas
Contact:

Re: WODE/Wiikey "plug and play" adapter installation guide.

Post by megalomaniac » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:56 am

liquitt wrote:i got my board back from sumas, excellent soldering work!

anyway, how are you guys with a wode in your gc dealing with the original lidswitch?
it's giving me a hard time .... i have no idea where to mount it :/
so is there another way? bridging the points will not allow me to run multi disc games right?

edit: i think i know how i'll do it, expect photos soon!

but on another note: did anybody ever try an usb extension to connect a hdd to the wode?

havnt done a wode mod myself but i have been studying all the posts to get ready for future project...
you could mount a small external normally closed switch..to actuate opening and close the lit, hit the switch

if you want to use the original switch..well...
then you need to mount it on the deck (metal cover) and add an attachment to the original lid cover to actualize the switch by physically opening and closing the cover


as for a USB extension, per USB 2.0 specification, you should be good with cable length under 5 meters at full speed..USB 1.1 standard is less than 3 meters at full speed
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
User avatar
Ashen
Posts: 994
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: WODE/Wiikey "plug and play" adapter installation guide.

Post by Ashen » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:08 am

Here is a nice diagram Hailraizer made for rev C power points:

Image
User avatar
liquitt
Posts: 1775
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:43 am
Location: neverland
Contact:

Re: WODE/Wiikey "plug and play" adapter installation guide.

Post by liquitt » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:42 am

megalomaniac wrote:
liquitt wrote:i got my board back from sumas, excellent soldering work!

anyway, how are you guys with a wode in your gc dealing with the original lidswitch?
it's giving me a hard time .... i have no idea where to mount it :/
so is there another way? bridging the points will not allow me to run multi disc games right?

edit: i think i know how i'll do it, expect photos soon!

but on another note: did anybody ever try an usb extension to connect a hdd to the wode?

havnt done a wode mod myself but i have been studying all the posts to get ready for future project...
you could mount a small external normally closed switch..to actuate opening and close the lit, hit the switch

if you want to use the original switch..well...
then you need to mount it on the deck (metal cover) and add an attachment to the original lid cover to actualize the switch by physically opening and closing the cover


as for a USB extension, per USB 2.0 specification, you should be good with cable length under 5 meters at full speed..USB 1.1 standard is less than 3 meters at full speed
Image

i might go for a switch soon though ;)
the extension cable question was just because of the power consumption. the wode can power a 2,5" hdd all on it's own, i dunno if it still work on a 50cm extension. i'll test it ;)
please search before you ask - a lot has been discussed already!
(or use google with "site:gc-forever.com *term*")
http://is.gd/MDmZcr

we also have a wiki filled with knowledge
http://is.gd/dX58Rm
sm4rty
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:19 am

Re: WODE/Wiikey "plug and play" adapter installation guide.

Post by sm4rty » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:46 pm

no with an extension cable the wode cant power up a 2.5" HDD.
Tried it myself -.-

now i have a Y cable with one end to a USB Power Supply like the charger for an iPhone.

that works pretty well ^^
User avatar
liquitt
Posts: 1775
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:43 am
Location: neverland
Contact:

Re: WODE/Wiikey "plug and play" adapter installation guide.

Post by liquitt » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:00 pm

sm4rty wrote:no with an extension cable the wode cant power up a 2.5" HDD.
Tried it myself -.-

now i have a Y cable with one end to a USB Power Supply like the charger for an iPhone.

that works pretty well ^^
shit. the problem is, relocating the usb port might produce the same problem....
mmmhhh the wode slave board is definetly not made for the gc ;)
please search before you ask - a lot has been discussed already!
(or use google with "site:gc-forever.com *term*")
http://is.gd/MDmZcr

we also have a wiki filled with knowledge
http://is.gd/dX58Rm
sm4rty
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:19 am

Re: WODE/Wiikey "plug and play" adapter installation guide.

Post by sm4rty » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:27 pm

yep had the same problem and relocated the usb port with an 50cm extension to the back of the cube and it could power up the hdd anymore -> only clicking and trying to spin.

with external power all worked again
User avatar
liquitt
Posts: 1775
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:43 am
Location: neverland
Contact:

Re: WODE/Wiikey "plug and play" adapter installation guide.

Post by liquitt » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:00 pm

maybe i'll just use a 3,5" powered harddrive....they're cheaper anyway ;)
please search before you ask - a lot has been discussed already!
(or use google with "site:gc-forever.com *term*")
http://is.gd/MDmZcr

we also have a wiki filled with knowledge
http://is.gd/dX58Rm
sm4rty
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:19 am

Re: WODE/Wiikey "plug and play" adapter installation guide.

Post by sm4rty » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:57 pm

there are also powered 2.5" harddrives which have connector for externel power supply.

3.5" harddrives are ugly and huge and heavy^^
User avatar
liquitt
Posts: 1775
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:43 am
Location: neverland
Contact:

Re: WODE/Wiikey "plug and play" adapter installation guide.

Post by liquitt » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:58 am

sm4rty wrote:there are also powered 2.5" harddrives which have connector for externel power supply.

3.5" harddrives are ugly and huge and heavy^^
well, we are talking about an addon for a bulky cube here :D
please search before you ask - a lot has been discussed already!
(or use google with "site:gc-forever.com *term*")
http://is.gd/MDmZcr

we also have a wiki filled with knowledge
http://is.gd/dX58Rm
User avatar
andzlay
Posts: 439
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:53 am
Location: Germany

Re: WODE/Wiikey "plug and play" adapter installation guide.

Post by andzlay » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:36 pm

Ashen wrote:Here is a nice diagram Hailraizer made for rev C power points:

Image
Thanks Ashen, but where is GND then?
User avatar
Ashen
Posts: 994
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: WODE/Wiikey "plug and play" adapter installation guide.

Post by Ashen » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:12 pm

For lack of a Rev C here to show you some good spots, you can just use where I've circled in black in this pic:

Image
Attachments
revc3.jpg
(145.44 KiB) Not downloaded yet
User avatar
andzlay
Posts: 439
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:53 am
Location: Germany

Re: WODE/Wiikey "plug and play" adapter installation guide.

Post by andzlay » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:01 pm

Nice Ashen, thanks alot! I'll try out soon.
User avatar
Jexion
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:01 am
Location: Burn City, Australia
Contact:

Re: WODE/Wiikey "plug and play" adapter installation guide.

Post by Jexion » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:31 am

Bit of a Thread Dig, but how can i go about purchasing one of these adapters?
User avatar
emu_kidid
Site Admin
Posts: 4628
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:06 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: WODE/Wiikey "plug and play" adapter installation guide.

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:04 am

Ashen made a limited amount of these by hand, I believe some other users have made them too. Maybe one of them will reply here if they are still making them - but they require a gamecube dvd connector to be sacrificed for it ;)
Image
User avatar
Jexion
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:01 am
Location: Burn City, Australia
Contact:

Re: WODE/Wiikey "plug and play" adapter installation guide.

Post by Jexion » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:01 am

i dont mind posting out my dvd connector.
The only problem is, i live in Australia. :?
User avatar
liquitt
Posts: 1775
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:43 am
Location: neverland
Contact:

Re: WODE/Wiikey "plug and play" adapter installation guide.

Post by liquitt » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:37 am

Jexion wrote:i dont mind posting out my dvd connector.
The only problem is, i live in Australia. :?
just open a WTB in the marketplace, maybe somebody will consider making one or has one for sale! :idea:
please search before you ask - a lot has been discussed already!
(or use google with "site:gc-forever.com *term*")
http://is.gd/MDmZcr

we also have a wiki filled with knowledge
http://is.gd/dX58Rm
User avatar
Jexion
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:01 am
Location: Burn City, Australia
Contact:

Re: WODE/Wiikey "plug and play" adapter installation guide.

Post by Jexion » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:04 am

liquitt wrote: just open a WTB in the marketplace, maybe somebody will consider making one or has one for sale! :idea:
Thanks mate :)
done
User avatar
liquitt
Posts: 1775
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:43 am
Location: neverland
Contact:

Re: WODE/Wiikey "plug and play" adapter installation guide.

Post by liquitt » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:14 am

Jexion wrote:
liquitt wrote: just open a WTB in the marketplace, maybe somebody will consider making one or has one for sale! :idea:
Thanks mate :)
done
good luck dingo :mrgreen:
please search before you ask - a lot has been discussed already!
(or use google with "site:gc-forever.com *term*")
http://is.gd/MDmZcr

we also have a wiki filled with knowledge
http://is.gd/dX58Rm
Post Reply