Gamecube component cable

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
LOCtronicz

Re: Gamecube component cable

Post by LOCtronicz » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:48 pm

I'll also take on. If that's still possible.
Interested in more of my projects?? Check my facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001843721188

Or email me at loctronics@gmail.com with your request.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:04 am

...and that makes for
thanks for stepping up to be the guinea pig testers..
ashen, iggunr, pr0ton, and zen

ill be working with each of you via PM to optimize/customize the board design with your ideas/feedback...
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
Durgan

Post by Durgan » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:52 am

iggunr wrote:
Durgan wrote:
iggunr wrote:I want to preorder too :D
I want this for an internal mod anyway
I would even dare to ask for the connectors unsoldered, since I'm looking for a very custom build
Word of warning: I asked for that and he decided that would be a waste. So I guess take it however he decides to build it or you don't get it at all. :/
I'm not going to change anything about the adapter, I'm not going to mess with the design or the IC's at all, I just hope I can be one of the few "testers" and try every single function of the adapter.
I support megalomaniac's judgement 100% in this project, specially since we can tell how rare all those IC's are, and if I have to wait or pay a little more I will, this project is really really interesting IMHO
I wasn't planning on changing the circuit design either (would use this). I can't think of any need I would have to do so. I just thought it would save some work and would therefore be cheaper if I bought the parts (including the respective set of resistors, caps, component connectors) disassembled. I wanted to build it myself so I could have control over the board's shape.

Don't know how much of an improvement digital audio is, so idk yet if I'm interested in that.
LOCtronicz

Post by LOCtronicz » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:00 pm

Awesome!! PM sent

pr0ton

Post by pr0ton » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:08 pm

Durgan wrote:I want to preorder too :D
Don't know how much of an improvement digital audio is, so idk yet if I'm interested in that.
But digital audio is digital from port to chip right (and not port>analog>chip>digital)?
DOL-001&DOL-101 <- PAL
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:45 am

Ashen, Zen

here is the board design i have come up with to address your portabilization needs...
the board is designed as a single layer so you dont have to mess with capacitor relocation..
also, as you can see, i scrapped the two row input connections as per original design...instead, there are pads for direct connection going to the chip, with all other unused/duplicate connection points removed...
the board adds a "permanent" RGBHV output with the appropriate connection as seen at R5...

with these changes here are the measurement comparisons

Code: Select all

Nintendo dual layer board design:
~ 28mm x 23mm

Mega single layer design
~ 28mm x 35mm
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving

Image Image Image
LOCtronicz

Post by LOCtronicz » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:51 am

Design is perfect! If Ashen also agrees then we're set. Awesome work and fast too!!

Ashen

Post by Ashen » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:56 am

Looks great! You rock man!
Durgan

Post by Durgan » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:18 am

pr0ton wrote:
Durgan wrote:I want to preorder too :D
But digital audio is digital from port to chip right (and not port>analog>chip>digital)?
I think so, but I haven't looked into it. As far as I know, the audio lines from the GPU do the same as the video in that they go to both the digital port and the internal D to A converter, so I assume those are digital. I was saying I don't know if I'm interested since I've never heard the difference; I just don't know what I'm missing, lol. Might be a pleasant surprise.
pr0ton

Post by pr0ton » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:16 am

Good, it all depends on a good external DAC then. I'm sure there is room for improvement for audiophiles there :).
DOL-001&DOL-101 <- PAL
Durgan

Post by Durgan » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:43 am

I think the most common is this mod, which uses the TC9231N. Though that chip is apparently discontinued and therefore a bit expensive. I'm sure there are other cheaper chips that can do the same thing, but, again, I haven't looked into it enough. megalomaniac said here earlier that he would use the TC9s for those wanting the digital audio add-on.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:10 am

one thing i would like to make public...
please do not contact me via PM to reserve or make a side deal on a single chip or a completed board....
all PMs received from this point forward will be ignored and deleted...

i want to keep this opportunity as fair as possible since there are only so few MX chips available...
moving forward, all remaining MX chips will be sold in limited quantities with spontaneous notification via random posting of availability...
audio chip add-ons for existing component cables will be sold openly once the design has been finalized...

sorry for any inconvenience, but i want this opportunity of availability to be fair for all...
else, please feel free to make a deal and pay the previously mentioned penalty fee which will ultimately only lower overall cost for everyone else...
i do not mean to offend anyone....but i really want to complete this project and be done with it while maintaining a civilized/controlled manor and offer, within my ability, the best possible product design....

Image Image Image
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:21 am

hey guys...just a quick update

iggunr, pr0ton:
since ive finished the internal portable design as shown above, i have determined only a few adjustments are required which will allow the same basic design to serve purpose as a standard GC internal board..
by looking at the pic below, you may notice i have removed / desoldered the digital port on my mobo..
im still working out the connectivity from the digital port to the video board...
i have also redesigned the audio circuit (not currently shown)

once i determine a solution for trace routing / connectivity from the digital port to the MX chip, i will then be able to determine how to include the audio circuit...
or redesign that damn audio circuit again...

Ashen, Zen,

the pic below is for your reference...you can see the ARAM to the left of my paper mock up to get an idea of the size of the board...
this design shown is a few mm larger on each side than the board i designed for you guys..
just wanted to show you this pic for your reference of board size since every mm counts when it comes to portabilization...

i guess better scale reference is to compare the paper mock up to the analog port...
the board looks pretty damn small to me using that comparison...

Image Image Image
iggunr

Post by iggunr » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:17 am

it looks amazing!
excellent work there pal
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:20 am

Its absolutely perfect. :)

Wait till you see what I'm going to put it in. ;)
LOCtronicz

Post by LOCtronicz » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:14 am

It fits perfectly! You did a great job on the design there.

Thanks for the updates.

megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:00 am

had some time to kill..
i redesigned the audio circuit to make the board as small as possible...im not sure if the audio board can get any physically smaller than this...without cutting, hacking. and relocating the 47uF cap located on the right side of the board...
most of the other components on that little board are all crammed and stacked on top of each other on a single side PCB...

im not sure if i want the audio board in this location since a lot of the mobo caps are directly under...since the board is single sided, it will be electrically isolated but right not im concerned about any cooling...or more precise, heating of caps in this location...maybe Ashen or Zen can provide their thoughts about placing the audio board in this location...but after all the work ive seen them do with portabilizing...i dont think its a concern...
besides, the board sure does fit nicely in this location...

we will see what comes about for a final design since i still need to work on the connection method from the digital port..
then after all this, ill need to figure out the best way to mount these boards so they stay secure in place...
then figure out the best connection from these boards to the VGA, Component, Switch, and SPDIF port

Image Image Image
LOCtronicz

Post by LOCtronicz » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:12 am

You my friend are awesome. This project keeps on getting better and better. As for the placement, you don't need to worry about heat. You could make both boards connected and have pins going down through the digital port connections on the motherboard. That way you slot it in solder it on the bottem of the mobo and it will automatically act as way to secure the boards. You could also mount them with a bracket to the back casing then when you use the ports it will be stable and secure.

Just throwing out idea's here ;) It's looking good already. Once you've finalized your design I bet you will sell most of your stash before you know it.

megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:45 pm

I am considering the merger of the two boards...depending...

I've have considered the idea of making this a drop in board with header pins directly to the digital port, but standard header pins are just a bit too short to clear a tall capacitor on the mobo (C2)
If the board is merged and has to clear capacitor C2, then the three 220uF caps on the video side might be too high and not fit under the cage shield...
This might require another redesign to make a double sided board and move those three caps to the underside..

....or relocate C2 :twisted:

Image Image Image
LOCtronicz

Post by LOCtronicz » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:43 am

Exactly!!! Relocate the c2 cap. It's that simple. Or make a hole in your board design so it can go over the cap. Metal shielding can always be cut if the board is to high.

As for the header pins you would have to be creative with that. Maybe a plug underneath the board and pins on the cube mobo then just click it in.

pr0ton

Post by pr0ton » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:53 pm

You are developing in an internal mod without cutting top of metal shield (now), ok :). Still don't mind if I have to cut from there.
DOL-001&DOL-101 <- PAL
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:23 am

might not have to relocate C2 anymore..
i found some extended header pins...19mm compared to typical 10mm
this will be plenty of pin length to clear C2 and allow the board to be a drop in replacement for the digiport...
with that, i merged the two boards together..still need to go over the traces a few more times to ensure its accurate...

now, how does it all connect together??
my biggest concern was to avoid having the connectors hardwired to the board...
why? future mods, future repairs, future cleaning, future whatever...
the ability to detach the connectors from the board is vital in my opinion rather than accidentally pulling a wire or pulling a wire and a trace off the board...

i have decided to also build a second optional board for the connectors...
so the "main board" will contain the main circuitry...
the "auxiliary board" will contain all the connectors...
the two boards will interface with a simple jumper connection...

in order to design the aux board, i had to figure out the best possible layout for the connectors while considering internal spacing to fit the connectors...
since the aux board is optional, the user can choose to use the aux board layout, or can choose not to use the aux board and design their own unique connector layout...

now that i have the layout figured out, i can design a board to match the layout...
here is a pic of the layout i have come up with...

NOTE: VGA/YPBPR selector switch not shown..
NOTE: I know tape is ugly, im not done yet...

Image Image Image
liquitt

Post by liquitt » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:32 am

Nice! sooo looking forward to this!
please search before you ask - a lot has been discussed already!
(or use google with "site:gc-forever.com *term*")
http://is.gd/MDmZcr

we also have a wiki filled with knowledge
http://is.gd/dX58Rm
Jaecus

Post by Jaecus » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:19 pm

you've spent alot of time preparing the design and it's going to show in the finished product
<3 top quality workmanship. It is looking like it will become a decent mod kit.
M tha MaN

Post by M tha MaN » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:36 am

liquitt wrote:Nice! sooo looking forward to this!
dito

u r incredible megalomaniac =)